• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

What's the difference between getting out the ricer and getting out the masher?

I'm no expert, but the ricer gives me what I consider to be better results and is no more trouble.

My mashed potatoes most likely would not make the "very best" list but a ricer would be difficult to use. I steam red potatoes with the skin on, then mash using an Oxo masher starting with just butter. When they are nearly ready I add a dash of milk and some sour cream. We all like the texture and visual appeal the skins bring to the finished dish.

I suppose for purists this might sway them toward a "worst meal" feeling.

Porthos

Porthos

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

What's the difference between getting out the ricer and getting out the masher?

I'm no expert, but the ricer gives me what I consider to be better results and is no more trouble.

My mashed potatoes most likely would not make the "very best" list but a ricer would be difficult to use. I steam red potatoes with the skin on, then mash using an Oxo masher starting with just butter. When they are nearly ready I add a dash of milk and some sour cream. We all like the texture and visual appeal the skins bring to the finished dish.