• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question about theoretical knowledge vs. experimentation

dpcalder

I think that really hits the nail on the head. If it's a cookbook with recipes, then the recipes should be tested, etc... but if it's just a treatise on theory, then I see no reason why you need experience in cooking or recipe writing for it - just don't call it a cookbook!

Here's an example - Dickson Despommier is an ecologist and college professor - and has written a highly lauded book "The Vertical Farm", www.verticalfarm.com . He's given TED talks about it, been on national TV shows promoting the book and his theories - yet, he's not a farmer and doesn't have any practical experience with hydroponics.

I think that really hits the nail on the head. If it's a cookbook with recipes, then the recipes should be tested, etc... but if it's just a treatise on theory, then I see no reason why you need experience in cooking or recipe writing for it - just don't call it a cookbook!

Here's an example - Dickson Despommier is an ecologist and college professor - and has written a highly lauded book "The Vertical Farm", www.verticalfarm.com . He's given TED talks about it, been on national TV shows promoting the book and his theories - yet, he's not a farmer and doesn't have any practical experience with hydroponics.

He would be the poster child for both sides of this discussion. Either his success validates his (inexperienced but impassioned) approach or he is an example exactly what's wrong with discoursing on a topic in which you have no practical experience.

Well, even though he's not a hydroponic farmer, there is lots of information available as to water efficiency, plant growth rates, potential planting density, etc which don't require practical experience to understand.

When I first heard about him, I thought his ideas were ridiculous because I thought they were impractical due to energy costs (mainly for the large amount of artificial lighting required for his theories to work). But over time, I've come to believe that what he's writing about is not necessarily something that could or should be done now, but he's presenting ideas to work towards - a goal, if you will. His ideas are already viable in areas with very cheap power - like Iceland where geothermal power is very inexpensive - but for say, New York, at $0.21 per kwh, acres of lighting, even LED lighting, is not practical for more than supplemental lighting - and only then it is only practical because of the large population of relatively wealthy consumers willing to pay $4-5/lb for tomatoes, or $4 for a 4.5oz clamshell of salad greens.

This strikes me as a recipe for disaster.  Has the OP ever experienced these alternative ingredients at all?  Given OP's level of circumlocution, I'm going to join mjx's speculation that this is some sort of project with a "free the cute farm animals and eat insect larvae instead, like our Polynesian forebearers did" kind of spin to it.  Unless you've got detailed preparation instructions for wichetty grubs or sago worms that get rid of the unexpectedly crunchy bits, you're not going to fare well.  "In theory, they should be delicious and nutritious" isn't an acceptable answer. 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I would like to hear more about the premise of the book..  As of right now, what I am taking from this is, a person who has not experienced a subject, has the desire to write a book about that subject.    

Would I read a book about sex written by a virgin, if only for the comedic value.   

Nor would I take seriously a man's first hand account of what it feels like to be a woman going through child birth. 

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK