• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 3

mtdew

As Yogi Berra said.... "deja vu all over again."

But I guess he also said, "it's not over till it's over."

Can't we just re-read the first 26 pages instead of continuing? Unless of course there's some new ground that somehow didn't make it into the 26 pages.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I've brought this thread up so that New York Times readers who are visiting because of this article can find it easily.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

By the way, now that the dust has cleared and BK has fired Rick and is taking the sandwiches and consigning them to the green plastic garbage bag of history I should mention that when I called Chef Bayless a "shameless lying pimp" I meant that with all due respect of course.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

• 1 month later...

BKs have stopped carrying the new baguette sandwiches. RIP.

Now they have "fire-grilled" shrimp or chicken garden or Caesar salads and a new fried chicken filet sandwich.

Initially I gave the sandwich six months to live. It actually took eight to die. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Maybe it is a seasonal thing and now it is time for a "light" summer menu.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying the new badass fried chicken sandwich.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We could just hang around and make fun of Bayless in general...

Perhaps a moment of silence first for the death not only of Chef Ricky's integrity and name (and BK bucks) but also in memory of what he and we have lost:

A voice, face, and hands of am American chef who was able to be passionate about a range of Mexican cuisine enough so that he was not only interested in learning about but dynamic in educating others. Someone who talked only where he walked.

But he wandered and wound up saying, "Pfah. Don't bother doing or being interested in anything I've shown you about produce and ingredients or how to do this or that. Too much trouble. You can buy it at BK."

And then, knave that he had become, "You want real barbecue? Go to Burger King."

The man buried himself for a few cheques. No more came.

Now a moment of silence for BK's former SLP.

Amen.

edit:

You may now fling refuse if you so desire.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

We could just hang around and make fun of Bayless in general...

he's got a crappy goatee.

BK in hackensack is now advertising angus burgers. i'm not sure if that's been mentioned on egullet yet. :blink:

Don't waste your money. It's just a thicker burger, but they load it with nasty ass bbq sauce. On the other hand, the new chicken sandwich is pretty good.

• 5 years later...

Rick Bayless just opened his Xoco Restaurant in Chicago this week and for whatever reason, it reminded me of this old thread. Since this discussion was last posted upon, he's continued to chug along. Frontera Grill was the winner of the 2007 James Beard Foundation award for Outstanding Restaurant. Chef Bayless won the recent Top Chef Masters competition and his Frontera Farmer Foundation has provided tens of thousands of dollars in capital grants to many small, sustainable farms in the Chicago area.

Wait times at Frontera Grill, which hasn't wavered one bit in its mission of serving authentic regional Mexican cuisine, are currently running at nearly 4 hours on weekends.

Many of us wondered while this debate was taking place, what negative effect the Burger King ads might eventually have on his career and his credibility. I guess he survived them. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Yes, he did! Unfortunately, he always resented eG a bit for this topic.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Interesting coincidence: the other day, for the first time, I saw Rick Bayless on PBS. He and his daughter made some interesting-looking Mexican ice pops. So my friend and I got hold of some popsicle sticks at the local five and dime and reproduced the recipe. The ice pops were great. As we were enjoying our ice pops, I told my friend the story of Rick Bayless and Burger King. My friend summed it up well: "Big mistake, but not unforgivable."

Paletas de Frutas, from Rick Bayless.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Since his winning Top Chef Masters I have been doing quite a bit of reading about him. One thing I noticed and it may be mentioned above, but every dime he earned from that Burger King ad was donated to charity. I thought that was impressive.

Also the Tribune wrote a story today on Xoco. Some of the comments regarding the article are unbelievable and against my better judgement I responded more then I wished too. :hmmm:

Robert R

My recollection, fuzzy though it may be, is that he donated the money to charity in response to the disapprobation of his peers and followers. Had he said up front, okay, here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to get a bunch of money from BK and give it to the poor, I think reactions would have been different. That's how I remember it at least.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My recollection, fuzzy though it may be, is that he donated the money to charity in response to the disapprobation of his peers and followers. Had he said up front, okay, here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to get a bunch of money from BK and give it to the poor, I think reactions would have been different. That's how I remember it at least.

We don't know that he wasn't going to donate the money from the outset. It's very possible his plans were only announced because of the fuss made, but the intent to donate may have always been there.

Regardless, why should he have had to state it up front? To ward off the vitriol of self-righteous foodies who think they're more ethical than god?

It's very possible his plans were only announced because of the fuss made, but the intent to donate may have always been there.

Very possible? More like not totally impossible, but highly unlikely. In any event, when you're planning to engage in public behavior that is hypocritical on its face, it helps to explain yourself in advance of a public outcry.