• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 2

ronnie_suburban

Oh, that's tasteful. And fits right in with, you know, the family-friendly atomosphere.

That was my first reaction. Then I thought, well, maybe if you're a desiccated old guy a juicy burger is as good as it's gonna get anymore.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Okay, get this: I was just asked to be in a commercial for some sort of dietary supplement for "big and tall" people. I said no. I'm holding out for Burger King.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Actually I said no without hearing about the money, and they asked me how much it would cost to get me to say yes. I'm thinking about it. I'd definitely need at least a hundred bucks.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, get this: I was just asked to be in a commercial for some sort of dietary supplement for "big and tall" people. I said no. I'm holding out for Burger King.

Steve, it was for "big and tall people." You only meet one of the criteria.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Okay, maybe I should do it. But only if it doesn't devalue me in the eyes of the Burger King people.

I just feel these supplements are a step in the right direction. Given that, it would be immoral for me not to do this ad. By the way I'm giving the money to charity.

• 3 weeks later...
Further evidence that Bayless is a complete wanker and douche bag--thoughtfully proved by the man himself.

Hey, Rick! Suck my fucking dick!

So like, tell us how you really feel, Tony. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Add R. Ray to the pile of pimps or whores or what have you. Or does she even count? Isn't she like the Jan Brady version of someone who actually cooks or writes for a living?

From the article:

Like Bayless, she was paid six figures for her endorsement, a fee she calls typical. "The commercials served a purpose. They showed that there are some healthy options. I don't think either Rick or I [was] doing it for the money," she adds.

Are you KIDDING ME? Wait. Does the six-figure amount include a decimal point?

Too bad they quoted Steve KLC (whom I nevertheless respect, divergent views notwithstanding) defending Bayless.

The essence of the Post article for me was the Clark Wolf quote:

But Rick has been respected for many years as a food historian, a culinary anthropologist and a passionate purist. If he's going to shock us, it better be for a good reason and done well. And these commercials are cheesy. He's just being a shill."

And Bobby Flay turned BK down. Add back one point of begrudged respect to Bobby "I fart in the general direction of your Iron Stadium" Flay.

Time for another letter to the Chefs Collaborative.

I forgot.

He says he's received "hundreds of support letters" and only two negative e-mails about the ad

TWO NEGATIVE E-MAILS?

Oh re-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-alllly?

I don't buy that for one single itty-bitty tiny weeny second.

Anyone here care to inform the Post of conditions to the contrary?

Ray cheerfully admits that people don't see her as a serious chef, which is why her commercials for Burger King's Savory Mustard Chicken Sandwich drew so little comment.

In a strange way, I actually get back a smidgen of respect for her because of this stance. At least she has some self-awareness about being more of a phenomenon than a talent.

Like Bayless, she was paid six figures for her endorsement, a fee she calls typical. "The commercials served a purpose. They showed that there are some healthy options. I don't think either Rick or I [was] doing it for the money," she adds.

But... that comment might stop that respect dead in its tracks. Admittedly she says "think", but how does she know what was in Bayless' head?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

But... that comment might stop that respect dead in its tracks. Admittedly she says "think", but how does she know what was in Bayless' head?

she doesn't know. she thinks. it's her opinion, which may very well be based on a lot of different things that she didn't go into in that interview or quote.

I forgot.
He says he's received "hundreds of support letters" and only two negative e-mails about the ad

TWO NEGATIVE E-MAILS?

Oh re-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-alllly?

I don't buy that for one single itty-bitty tiny weeny second.

Anyone here care to inform the Post of conditions to the contrary?

We've heard this line before. On eGullet, its "The users support me via PM!"

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Dammit, you bastards squashed my dreams of having a Rick Bayless Q&A.

On one hand, he says, "it's good to focus on more healthful food, and the sandwich is better than most of the stuff at Burger King." But Bayless has created a credibility gap, Clark adds. "Emeril can endorse Crest toothpaste because Emeril never claims to know a lot about food. But Rick has been respected for many years as a food historian, a culinary anthropologist and a passionate purist. If he's going to shock us, it better be for a good reason and done well. And these commercials are cheesy. He's just being a shill."

I believe that Emeril has been claiming to know about food nightly for about 10 years on the Food Network. What the hell is this guy talking about? Does he mean that EG is immune from criticism because he is endorsing a non food product ( I would agree with that, but I don't remember ever thinking, "Hey! That Emeril sure has some shiny choppers!" so I am not sure why he would make me want to buy toothpaste)?

Bayless comes off as smarmy (I gave it all to charity so all bets are off and I am above criticism because of the shield of charity) and defensive. Those two emails must have been pretty rough to put him on the defense given the "thousands" of positive ones he recieved.

I'd like to see some of the positive ones while we're at it-

"Hey Rick, I was thinking about Frontera Grill tonight, but after I saw you whooping it up at Burger King I decided that whole sit down dining thing was overrated and we headed on over to BK for some real South of the Border Flavor"

or

"We were in town for the weekend and had reservations at Tampoopoo or Tamponoloco or whatever the hell that place of yours is called, but since you said that BK was so good we decided to go there instead. The food is good and the name of the place is much easier to pronounce".

:wacko::raz::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh my.

That sandwich just won't stay down.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM