• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 2

ronnie_suburban

I noticed that the Vettel article did not mention Bayless' connection to the Chef's Collaborative.

Poking around under "What's New" at the CC site this morning however, I did find this letter, dated Friday:

http://www.chefscollaborative.org/index.ph...news&news_id=14

Personal endorsements on the part of individual board members do not represent endorsements by the Collaborative or necessarily represent its views. When Chefs Collaborative partners with an organization, the entire board of overseers considers whether the potential partner’s missions and core values are compatible with the mission of the Collaborative. While the organization has not had an official policy regarding a board member’s responsibility to inform the board prior to endorsements, consultancies, or investments, the board has recently realized the need for such a policy and is in the process of drafting one.

The spin begins!

Cheers,

Squeat

Yeah, but then they sign that letter with a link to their Statement of Principles, which Bayless assisted in writing.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The spin begins!

Reap the whirlwind, Rick.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I just heard one of those sports radio hosts claim he was qualified to make idiotic pronouncements on the Cubs because his brother is Rick Bayless. Yes, Rick's brother Skip is apparently a columnist for the Merc News and a talk radio host. He went on to speculate in gruesome detail about Kobe Bryant's sexual interactions with his wife.

He said nothing about making his maid acquire illegal pharmaceuticals for him, at least.

Of course, this has nothing to do with whether Rick is or is not a horrible person.

Horrible person? Even I'm not willing to go that far! I think he has behaved hypocritically, disingenuously, and inappropriately. I think he has betrayed his friends and colleagues. But he may very well be a good person who has for whatever reason behaved like a complete jerk lately. It happens. It's up to him to straighten it out. I'm sure his Chefs Collaborative compatriots would like nothing more than to be given a good reason to forgive him and welcome him back into the fold.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rick and Skip are brothers? They actually sound nearly alike. I think Skip Bayliss is certainly qualified to make comments on the Cubs considering he has authored 3 best selling books on sports. Having listened to Skip numerous times as substitute pimp in the box, his opinions are strong and sometimes sensationalistic. Perhaps Rick is the same way? BTW has anyone seen Rachel Rays comments on the Alexa E gullet review page? She was obviously reading these forums that mention her. Hopefully Chef Rick the sell out is too! I can't even watch the guy anymore. However Skip rocks!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I just heard one of those sports radio hosts claim he was qualified to make idiotic pronouncements on the Cubs because his brother is Rick Bayless. Yes, Rick's brother Skip is apparently a  columnist for the Merc News and a talk radio host. He went on to speculate in gruesome detail about Kobe Bryant's sexual interactions with his wife.

They're brothers? I never knew that. Skip had a brief and recently-ended stint here as a columnist with the Chicago Tribune.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

For the record, I don't think of Bayless as a "horrible person", either. Just deeply disappointed in his decision to make this endorsement vis a vis his role as overseer at CC and his reputation as a supporter of local sustainable agriculture, etc., as I have explained.

In fact, though I have never eaten at his restaurants, I have enjoyed his shows on PBS.

Squeat

If that's Rachel Ray, then I'm Nigella Lawson.

Just as I suspected.

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For the record, I don't think of Bayless as a "horrible person", either. Just deeply disappointed in his decision to make this endorsement vis a vis his role as overseer at CC and his reputation as a supporter of local sustainable agriculture, etc., as I have explained.

In fact, though I have never eaten at his restaurants, I have enjoyed his shows on PBS.

Squeat

That was tongue-in-cheek. (I admit, I skipped over much of the angst in the middle pages in this thread). I too am disappointed. None of this changes my opinion of his books, which I consider among the best published in the last decade.

In general, "sellout," like "authenticity," is a problematic concept. Does anyone remember the outrage when Nirvana signed with DGC? Not to mention the consequences. Because of the CC connection, though, this seems pretty cut and dry to me.

[ps to coop, as a Boston native, I find it hard to believe that an oklahoman arriviste can have much worthwhile to say about the plight of the Cubs fan... speaking of authenticity]

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting but I looked and didn't see it. I thought reading Rick Bayless' own words would be appropriate. This is from his website.

Dear friends, colleagues and co-workers:

Many of you have asked me why I chose to do that ad for Burger King. It was very seriously thought-through, and here is my reasoning in a nutshell: I decided that it’s time for those of us in the healthy food/sustainable food movement to applaud any positive steps we see in the behemoth quick-service restaurant chains. Seventy-five percent of our fellow Americans nourish themselves in their restaurants at least once a week (an even more serious statistic is that almost 20 percent eat fast food three or more time a week). I can no longer ignore these statistics, and I ask you not to either.

I can’t take responsibility for feeding all those fast food customers in my restaurant. Besides, most of them couldn’t even afford my restaurant. And since our culture has made a wrong turn, several generations now haven’t even learned to cook. So my (or other’s) cooking shows and cookbooks don’t hit their radar screens. These are people who know little beyond processed food flavors. Helping them take steps toward honest, seasonal, natural flavors, means starting with them (accepting them) where they are.

These folks aren’t going to change over night. And the fast food franchises aren’t going to go away. But if my BK ad encourages a few hundred thousand people to experience a tasty, less-processed sandwich of crusty bread with grilled chicken, a sauce made from roasted tomatoes and poblano chiles, plus a topping of grilled fresh bell peppers and onions—that’s huge. What realistic justification could one have for NOT promoting that?

So I choose to work on both ends of the spectrum. At Frontera/Topolobampo, we’ve developed an amazing team of talented chefs a who purchased just under half-million dollars from local, sustainable family farms last year. This year our Frontera Farmer Foundation has raised nearly $300,000 to distribute to small family farms in the form of capital improvement grants. Clearly, we’re committed to promoting local, seasonal, sustainably raised products in the hand-crafted dishes at our fine-dining restaurants. But I refuse to limit myself to just this small-but-fast-growing segment, dismissing millions of Americans who are light-years from knowing the wonders of local organic produce. I want to help them along, too. Starting right where they are.

I know this bridging of categories makes some people uncomfortable. But that’s honestly who I am. I’m both eco-chef and fast-food supporter, if I’m given a voice for positive change in both those camps. And I’m ethnic chef, bringing respect to a little-appreciated cuisine through restaurants, books and television shows. I’m co-author with my teenage daughter of a book out next fall exploring how cooking with folks in other countries develops a unique language of friendship and family. I’m a health writer, encouraging people to embrace the realistic role of fabulous food in healthy living. For me it is unconscionable to limit myself to one camp, since food touches our lives in so many ways.

Most people think I did the BK ad for the money. Well, that’s not me—never has been. Besides, all the money is going to our Foundation to support small, sustainable family farms around Chicago. The Frontera Farmer Foundation is going to have a much bigger impact. And, I also believe, these new offerings at Burger King are, too.

Sincerely,

Rick Bayless

But remember, there are lots of homeless people, poor families, and so on, that really depend to some extent on 59 cent burgers, 89 cent burritos, and value menus where everything is less than a dollar.  Eliminating these "bad" items from their menu would not only be bad business, I think it would probably literally hurt a lot of people.  Most poor people can't just spend hours cooking at home.  And living off of ramen is a worse kind of living than burgers and fries.

Wow! Amazing. "Cooking at home" doesn't take hours it takes planning and training. Instead of "letting" the poor have their cheap, tasty burgers and fries we should be teaching them to cook. A simple bowl of Ramen can be nehanced with a radish or two, a cheap assed sweet potato, a chicken wing.There are food pantries but one of the problems is "Hey you, what do I do with a bag of flour, honey and a pound of apples?" That's where we come and and talk about savory crepes or apple flapjacks. You can do this at any food pantry in any city. They will love you for it. Read this link to find out more about the true state of our urban poor. Then also read Michael Pollan's article about why we are fat. Apparently it is corn.

over it

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting but I looked and didn't see it.  I thought reading Rick  Bayless' own words would be appropriate.  This is from his website.

couldn’t even afford my restaurant. And since our culture has made a wrong turn, several generations now haven’t even learned to cook. So my (or other’s) cooking shows and cookbooks don’t hit their radar screens. These are people who know little beyond processed food flavors. Helping them take steps toward honest, seasonal, natural flavors, means starting with them (accepting them) where they are.

Ok there it is in a nutshell. So now do we in the cooking community quit bitching about sellouts and start teaching people to cook? This is a call to arms or at least to spatulas. Sorry if this is too Oprah for egullet but I feel inspired and my normal jaded bitter posting is inexcusable in this instance. I am returning to the soup kitchen. Anyone joining me? Oh, and I am bringing Lambrusco.

over it

FatGuy-I too am interested in the links mentioned on the previous page.

Forgive me; I'm not able to figure out what links you're referring to -- if you can clarify I'll be glad to follow up as best I can.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, anyway, here's the link to Rick's statement:

What's Up With That Burger King Ad?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Oh, and:

Poster.