• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 2

ronnie_suburban

Finally, goddamn it, douchebag is one word.

No, it isn't. wink.gif

I love the internet.

Had Chef Rick designed this sandwich, as un-good as it is, I myself would feel that he really was trying to make a difference in the fast food marketplace.

This is a point we keep returning to. How much involvement do you need before you take the paycheck? From a practical standpoint none, but since we are talking about preserving your credibility in the face of what was generally perceived to have been an opposite position in former days, there obviously IS some other line. Did Mr. Bayless have to investigate how the produce for the sandwich was bought? Did he try the sandwich, not in a safe lab environment, but in an actual random store within a test market? Even if he was brought in late in the game--after the thing was designed and tested--did he give suggestions on improvements? Of course a normal "talking head" for a product would have to do none of these. But is that all he expected us to believe he was?

[Host's note:  To minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.

The discussion continues here.]

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"