• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 2

ronnie_suburban

I've always thought it interesting that while the covers of mens magazines show photos of scantilly clad young women, in contrast, the covers of womens magazines usually feature... scantilly clad young women.  :blink:

Is this a great country or what?

Bruce

I've always thought it interesting that while the covers of mens magazines show photos of scantilly clad young women, in contrast, the covers of womens magazines usually feature... scantilly clad young women.  :blink:

Is this a great country or what?

Bruce

Sigh.

[shaking head]

Sherri A. Jackson

Follow-up: $5.79 for "Combo #1" at Sassy's Sliders.

whoa, another bitesized burger joint? Is it good?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

But look at how low (and for how long) places like Burger King and McDonald's have kept their prices.

They have not kept their prices low: do you think $5.49 is a low price for a puny 4 ounce burger, an order of fries, and two cents worth of soda?

Are those New York prices? The same meal here costs about $1.50 less.

Definitely New York prices, although please note that there are variations based on a franchise's location within a boro. For instance, a Value Meal #1 (Big Mac, soda, fries) at a McD's across the street from the office is about $5.37 +/- a few cents, before tax, while the same meal at the McD's near my apartment is about 20 cents less (I think).

Soba

It would be even better if there were more scantily clad men running about.

:raz:

I recall reading that images of women on magazine covers always outsell the alternatives (men, food, solid gold Cadillacs, etc.) regardless of the magazine's intended audience. I guess that's obvious, considering the covers of the majority of women's magazines.

Must be one of those unconscious, primitive-brain instinctual sorta thingies.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

i sold my soul to BK back when i was 7 years old.  i've never regretted it.  although, i'm not half as cute as rachael is.  :angry:

Is is because they gave you a paper crown? I never liked their food much, but there was a period of time, during my princess phase, that I was enamored of their paper crowns.

The paper crowns were the best!

As long as Rick Bayless doesn't end up in FHM magazine - I think I'll be fine with all of this.

Well I'm not in any hurry to see him on the cover of Cosmo anytime soon.

[Do they even put men on the cover of Cosmo? They should! I'd buy it!]

We get Cosmo's "All About Men" issue once a year (it's a special issue). Don't they have it in the States? Always a hot guy on the cover. Lots of pics inside too. :biggrin:

As long as Rick Bayless doesn't end up in FHM magazine - I think I'll be fine with all of this.

Well I'm not in any hurry to see him on the cover of Cosmo anytime soon.

[Do they even put men on the cover of Cosmo? They should! I'd buy it!]

We get Cosmo's "All About Men" issue once a year (it's a special issue). Don't they have it in the States? Always a hot guy on the cover. Lots of pics inside too. :biggrin:

I've never really paid enough attention to Cosmo to notice. But I'll be on the lookout for a man-issue. Is it sold on newsstands, or only available to subscribers? When does it come out?

Sherri A. Jackson

Sodas made with corn syrup cost a few cents less per gallon but don't taste nearly as good as sodas sweetened with cane sugar.

Is it possible to find a soda with cane sugar in a supermarket? I've been looking in my local supermarkets since I read about cane sugar vs. corn syurp here and haven't found any. I thought that perhaps one of the specialty or ethnic sodas would have cane sugar but so far everything I've checked (even the pretentious uppity-looking brands) has corn syrup.

I almost never drink regular sodas but this corn syurp vs. cane sugar issue sure has piqued my curiosity and I'd like to do a taste comparison.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Is it possible to find a soda with cane sugar in a supermarket?  I've been looking in my local supermarkets since I read about cane sugar vs. corn syurp here and haven't found any.

Try during Passover - Coke, for instance, will be labeled as kosher for Passover (generally has a yellow top and some printing on the bottle indicating that it was produced under rabbinical supervision). There really is a significant taste difference between Coke made with cane sugar and Coke made with high fructose corn syrup - I always stock up on it when it appears.

Edit: typo

Edited by hannnah (log)
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Is it possible to find a soda with cane sugar in a supermarket?  I've been looking in my local supermarkets since I read about cane sugar vs. corn syurp here and haven't found any.  I thought that perhaps one of the specialty or ethnic sodas would have cane sugar but so far everything I've checked (even the pretentious uppity-looking brands) has corn syrup.

A lot of the upscale brands use cane sugar: Boylan's, Monterey, etc. As do many sodas from Mexico. And, as mentioned above, the Passover versions of Coke and other big-brand sodas are not made with corn syrup because corn, being a grain, is not an acceptable Passover food for most observant Jews.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There really is a significant taste difference between Coke made with cane sugar and Coke made with high fructose corn syrup - I always stock up on it when it appears.

Oooo...I'm so anxious to try this, I can hardly stand it.

Sherri A. Jackson

Also if you go into a real Mexican market, you will likely find Coke and Pepsi imported from Mexico, where it is made with cane sugar (and in glass bottles to boot).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is is because they gave you a paper crown? I never liked their food much, but there was a period of time, during my princess phase, that I was enamored of their paper crowns.

The paper crowns were the best!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

QUOTE (hillbill @ Oct 15 2003, 12:47 PM)

Is it possible to find a soda with cane sugar in a supermarket? I've been looking in my local supermarkets since I read about cane sugar vs. corn syurp here and haven't found any. I thought that perhaps one of the specialty or ethnic sodas would have cane sugar but so far everything I've checked (even the pretentious uppity-looking brands) has corn syrup.

Try Steap green tea sodas. They have flavors ranging including cola, root beer, orange, respberry, key lime and lemon dew. All are based with green tea as the liquid and all are sweetened with organic evaporated cane juice.

Cheers!

We here in Canada have only recently been privelaged enough to get that $40 a day show. Is she giving out a little Rachel to get these deals? The San Francisco one was just totally unrealistic. 4 courses of dim sum for around $10.00. Dinner at a french bistro for less then $12.00. I don't think my sorry ass would get in on those deals. I geuss it's cause she is so damn cute.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

whoa, another bitesized burger joint? Is it good?

It's been around for a long time, first in the east village and then moved to the upper east side a couple years ago. I lived around the corner from the EV location and thought they were good, but I have a place in my heart for White Castle. The veggie sliders were actually very good too. Not that this has anything to do with this thread.

Someone mentioned BK and McDonalds in England. According to a freind who went to London recently, the UK versions blow the US chain's burgers away.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith