• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 2

ronnie_suburban

[Host's note: To minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split. This discussion continues from here.]

PS Does anyone think BK may have pulled this ad? A couple of days ago I realized I had never seen it. I've been watching as much tv as I can handle since then, but still haven't seen it, though I have seen one that must be part of the same campaign.

Not sure, but I did see another BK ad today from the same campaign, and in it a honey-djion (I think) chicken sandwich was being touted by one Rachael Ray...

=R=

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Well, that's fine. Rachael has nothing to sell out.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

PS Does anyone think BK may have pulled this ad? A couple of days ago I realized I had never seen it. I've been watching as much tv as I can handle since then, but still haven't seen it, though I have seen one that must be part of the same campaign.

Not sure, but I did see another BK ad today from the same campaign, and in it a honey-djion (I think) chicken sandwich was being touted by one Rachael Ray...

=R=

I think this must be the same one I saw, though I missed the very beginning (where I assume they showed her name), but I wouldn't know Ray from Adam (...er?) to look at, though I have heard her name.

Hopefully she has not spent years campaigning for sustainable agriculture and local artisanship?

Edited to replace a word with one I didn't make up.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

=R=

does she refer to it as the "HDCS"?

I think they're releasing a few versions of the Fire Grilled Chicken Baguette, with rotating ad campaigns and spokespeople. I wonder if there's a complete list anywhere.

Rachel Ray is probably free from hypocrisy on this one. Certainly, she's not on the board of Chefs Collaborative. Nonetheless, she is also misusing her (admittedly not Bayless-class) reputation to endorse a product that should be beneath her.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Because if the other sandwich is any indication, it's not particularly good and therefore doesn't deserve an endorsement from any serious culinary professional. To the extent Rachel Ray has positioned herself as a reliable source of culinary information, she should not be endorsing inferior products.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Because if the other sandwich is any indication, it's not particularly good and therefore doesn't deserve an endorsement from any serious culinary professional. To the extent Rachel Ray has positioned herself as a reliable source of culinary information, she should not be endorsing inferior products.

even if she enjoys it? (the sandwich/restaurant that is)

Edited by tommy (log)

That would simply indicate that she has poor taste.

That would simply indicate that she has poor taste.

i have a problem with this logic.

i consider my taste pretty good. i take food very seriously. i help people cook all of the time. i give people restaurant recommendations quite often. people react, for the most part, positively. and when they find out that i like Double Quarter Pounders, i don't think their opinion of my taste changes. a fondness for McD's, and a being a reliable source of culinary information, don't seem to be mutually exclusive, no matter how annoying rachael ray is. :rolleyes:

Edited by tommy (log)

First of all, I do not find Rachel Ray to be the slightest bit annoying. Everything I have seen of her -- and I mean everything -- has left a positive impression.

Secondly, if you go eat this sandwich and say it's good, I'll be willing to revisit the issue. But you're not going to do that. You're going to eat it and say it's not good.

First of all, I do not find Rachel Ray to be the slightest bit annoying. Everything I have seen of her -- and I mean everything -- has left a positive impression.

I think you have a double blind spot when it comes to Rachel aka Ms. Thang.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Chef Rick should do a smiliar shoot to regain his dignity.

If you want to have that discussion, there are about fifty threads to which you should feel free to add. Let's not clutter up this one with a repeat.

If you want to have that discussion, there are about fifty threads to which you should feel free to add. Let's not clutter up this one with a repeat.

Understood, but since I'm fairly new to egullet.com could you suggest one? I'm serious. I'd like to know what you think about this.

You're in for a treat. I'll assemble some links later, if nobody else does. Hahaha . . . tommy?