• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can I use to replace the coffee in chocolate?

Kim Shook

In all instances when I use coffee in chocolate baked items (admittedly, not too many thus far) I use coffee granules, generally Medaglia D'Oro, instead of liquid coffee, and there's no discernible coffee flavor, unless I overamp the batter with the espresso powder.  Maybe using crystal or powder will help, maybe you're just more sensitive to the flavor.

I'd think that using water would be just fine.  Numerous times we've made liquid substitutions that worked out well.  Coffee is just flavored water, so why not unflavored water?  Or, how about adding chocolate milk?  You could make your own easily enough (I do it about once a week) using more or less (or no) sweetener as the recipe requires.  You could use everything rom fat-free milk to full fat milk.

Just some ramblings while waiting for the oven timer to buzz....

... Shel

I've had this problem in the past.

For the cup or so of "brewed coffee" I have substituted brewed  tea - or roobios (red tea),  stout - which really boosts the chocolate flavor -

also carob powder mixed into hot water, strained and allowed to cool - the carob stuff I get at the health food store is quite grainy.

You can also use diluted liqueurs - I had some Godiva choc liqueur someone gave me and as I don't drink alcohol, I used it in cakes and cookies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I detest coffee and I can pick up the flavor in anything - even the recipes that promise "you won't even taste the chocolate, it just deepens the flavor".  I can most always taste it.  What do I use instead?  An equal amount of plain water?  

I am just like you with regards to coffee. I can always taste it and it ruins the chocolate. I just add more of whatever liquid is being used (like milk in a cake) plus, I add a dash of chocolate extract. I used to buy chocolate extract and got varying product flavors, nowadays, I make my own. Just get some EverClear then freeze and grate some good chocolate into it and wait about a week, or more if you are patient. Then strain and use. (keep in a tightly  sealed bottle) It gets weirdly cloudy and I have not been able to fix that, but it doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

I detest coffee and I can pick up the flavor in anything - even the recipes that promise "you won't even taste the chocolate, it just deepens the flavor".  I can most always taste it.  What do I use instead?  An equal amount of plain water?  

So.... why not just make a different recipe. Or use a darker chocolate.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I use cocoa nibs where the recipe calls for actual ground coffee beans, or brew the nibs at the same quantities you'd use for coffee and use that liquid. My mother absolutely abhors the flavour of coffee too!

• Like 2