• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help: Custard-filled Cake?

Mayberry Rebel

Several years ago (between 2009 and 2011), I found a recipe in Parade Magazine, but I've since lost the original clipping and can't recall the name of the recipe to look it up again. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide in helping me find this recipe again, or turning me on to something similar.

Here's what I remember: It was a pretty simple recipe, the dough involved crushed almonds (which I recall because I had to smash sliced almonds with a hammer) and was split into two portions, flattened out and refrigerated while I prepared a stove top custard for the filling. The whole thing baked up very solid, with the custard baking into the dough. The dish's name, listed in the article, wasn't English, if I'm recalling properly.

Anyone who can help will earn my eternal gratitude. Thank you very much.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide in helping me find this recipe again, or turning me on to something similar.

It's great that you've found your answer.

For something similar, have a look at the German "Bienenstich" - or "Bee sting" to use the translated name.  It's one of my favourite cakes.  

It's a yeast cake, cut in half and filled generously with custard cream, and the top is covered with a honey-almond glaze.  I assume the honey is where the "bee sting" name comes from.  The crunch of the toasted almond flakes is really special!  And the flavours are great - yeasty dough, creamy custard and the sweet honey almonds.

You can use any yeast bun dough, for example a hot cross bun recipe, and bake it like a cake.  But there are lots of recipes online.