• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Behold My Butt! (2007– )

rama

On 5/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, curls said:

@rotuts keep your eye out for your commission check. I just ordered a used copy of Lettuce in Your Kitchen: Flavorful And Unexpected Main-Dish Salads And Dressings.  Thanks for the recommendation!

My copy arrived today. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Mr. Kim's leaning tower of butt:

IMG_7198.thumb.jpg.2f02624acd8b32bd9efd894d3ab91e8f.jpg

😁

Can I bitch a bit?  He was asked to make BBQ for our church youth group fundraiser.  They usually do a spaghetti dinner, but it needs to be take out this year and he's made BBQ for different fundraisers over the years and has gotten a good response.  The cut off for ordering was Sunday.  We checked and got a count.  He is mostly working from home right now, so on Monday he got up at 4AM and started smoking all that meat up there (about 40 lbs.).  He ran back and forth all day from the smoker to his computer/phone - regulating temperatures and attending Zoom meetings.  He finally gets them all picked apart after work, puts the meat in bags and places them in the freezer for dividing up Sunday morning for handing out the meals.  LAST NIGHT he is informed that "they" (not really sure who "they" are) have accepted another TWENTY orders for meals.  Without checking with Mr. Kim.  So, he's got another work day where he's going to have to do the same thing (he's a state budget director and this is budget season).  I know that they have no idea what is involved in smoking and therefore don't understand that the time involved in smoking one butt is the same amount as smoking FIVE.  But it still pisses me off that no one bothered to ask before accepting orders past the cut off.  😠

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

People do think some things just magically happen. Sounds like he did not hesitate for a moment though. The man is piling up his heaven entry points ;)  And he'll have spoied them for life on the difference between "crock pot pulled pork" (aka stick in crock w/ bottled bbq sauce) and the real deal. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

People do think some things just magically happen. Sounds like he did not hesitate for a moment though. The man is piling up his heaven entry points ;)  And he'll have spoied them for life on the difference between "crock pot pulled pork" (aka stick in crock w/ bottled bbq sauce) and the real deal. 

There is another couple that does a lot of cooking.  Their "BBQ" is the crockpot variety, so I think that explains why no one understands what a job doing proper smoking is.  Mr. Kim does take comfort in the fact that he was the one asked to do the fundraiser.  😉

• Like 6

Part of the BBQ that Mr. Kim smoked for our churches' Youth Group fundraiser:

IMG_7232.jpg.66aa53c3573c78a86f1c0458016d834c.jpg

It ended up being 80 quarter pound servings.  Mr. Kim, Jessica, and I spent Saturday night portioning the servings into sandwich bags (they bought 4 liquid oz. plastic cups with lids and could not figure out why we didn't use those 😳).  Thankfully, someone else did the slaw, rolls, and baked beans and the kids packed it all up.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1