• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Behold My Butt! (2007– )

rama

@gfweb 

congratulations !

looks delicious !

lettuce from the garden

C*AP !

I remember it well ....

BTW   this is a very fine book:

Lettuce in Your Kitchen: Flavorful And Unexpected Main-Dish Salads And Dressings

get it used.

all his books are 5 star +++++

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AChristopher+Schlesinger&s=relevancerank&text=Christopher+Schlesinger&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1

had restaurants in Cambridge , and then S.Shore

and a very nice guy to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

congratulations !

looks delicious !

lettuce from the garden

C*AP !

I remember it well ....

BTW   this is a very fine book:

Lettuce in Your Kitchen: Flavorful And Unexpected Main-Dish Salads And Dressings

get it used.

all his books are 5 star +++++

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AChristopher+Schlesinger&s=relevancerank&text=Christopher+Schlesinger&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1

had restaurants in Cambridge , and then S.Shore

and a very nice guy to boot.

Doggone it, rotuts -- just when I think I've succeeded in my resolve to not collect more cookbooks, you come up with this temptation! Even the salad and dressing on the Amazon page looks good. There goes my resolve. O.o

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Regina3000 said:

Brined from about 10:00 yesterday until I put it on the smoker. No other seasoning. Hickory for the smoke.

I hope you'll show the results! That must be a pretty big smoker, to take all that at once. I'm in the market, maybe, for a new smoker, so I'd be interested to know more about the smoker itself as well as the results.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

all his books are outstanding.

look for the used , but in god to very good condition

you cant go wrong.

I didn't , and bought them new 

@ an early Amazon.   40 % was the standard discount.

The Google Twins wanted to get in on the action , for some reason , and offered a

free something or other paying service , and I got 30 % more off.  through them but @ the Amazon web site

that extra % off didn't ,last that long , a year or so.

Hee Hee

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

C*AP

Id rather have one of the Bibb's I used to plant in my veg garden

root on , of course  resting comfortably in the refrig.

maybe a few green onions 

for the tops "  Shrubbery "

consider any of the other books

get them used , works well.

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

C*AP

Id rather have one of the Bibb's I used to plant in my veg garden

root on , of course  resting comfortably in the refrig.

maybe a few green onions 

for the tops "  Shrubbery "

consider any of the other books

get them used , works well.

My minigarden is just a big 4x 3 ft box. Its been producing enough for nightly salads from a 1x 3 foot space. I should've done this years ago.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Doggone it, rotuts -- just when I think I've succeeded in my resolve to not collect more cookbooks, you come up with this temptation! Even the salad and dressing on the Amazon page looks good. There goes my resolve. O.o

$3 on ebay

• Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

@gfweb  

you bet .

in my garden HayDays

I had 10 different Bibb's  , everything planted from seeds

in trays initially indoors then outdoors under a HomeMadeCanapy

8 heads each .  carefully manicured soil.

Initially i had Ajax  a yellow lab , an alpha dog to wader around while

I gardened.

then 10 years later , Ridge , a black lab.

he was a PartyDog   :  knew every dog at the ElmBank and loved to play.

one day , w my 20 or so perfect Bibb's doing  very well  a few feet past

a window in my living room ,, open

I heard  as odd sound   ' munch much much '

looks out:

a morbidly obese woodchuck 

who could barely waddle away 

ate all of the 20 0or so bibbs

right down to the stem.

did you know there are Bibb lettuce seeds

that you can get , that can only be sported on top 

of yours panting mix ?

they need the sun it seems to sprout 

and your spritzer spray to keel them moist for 4 - 5 days until they sprout ?

very pale Bibb's , excellent flavor

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gfweb said:

$3 on ebay

Sad face because I just spent $3 more than I needed to! (I had already succumbed to temptation.) xD

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

I hope you'll show the results! That must be a pretty big smoker, to take all that at once. I'm in the market, maybe, for a new smoker, so I'd be interested to know more about the smoker itself as well as the results.

I will, when it's done! It's a new-to-me Brinkmann vertical charcoal water smoker, one of the boxy kind. I've never used a charcoal smoker before, so it's been a learning experience.

I've had issues keeping the temperature up to 200 F. I think that we're going to ditch the OEM charcoal pan and find or make a deep rectangular one that I can load up with charcoal and wood á la Minion, even thought it's not a WSM.

I put the meat in the smoker at 5 minutes to 8 this morning, and at 5 after 10 tonight, one still hadn't gotten above 138 (bone-in) and the other not above 149 (boneless), so I pulled them out of the smoker and put them in the oven at 250 F. I put them on a rack in a half sheet pan. Strangely enough, about half an hour later, they haven't gone up in temperature at all. I'll keep an eye on them for another half an hour before I start to freak out.

Edited by Regina3000
typo (log)
  • Like 2

Regina

33 minutes ago, Regina3000 said:

I will, when it's done! It's a new-to-me Brinkmann vertical charcoal water smoker, one of the boxy kind. I've never used a charcoal smoker before, so it's been a learning experience.

I've had issues keeping the temperature up to 200 F. I think that we're going to ditch the OEM charcoal pan and find or make a deep rectangular one that I can load up with charcoal and wood á la Minion, even thought it's not a WSM.

I put the meat in the smoker at 5 minutes to 8 this morning, and at 5 after 10 tonight, one still hadn't gotten above 138 (bone-in) and the other not above 149 (bineless), so I pulled them out of the smoker and put them in the oven at 250 F. I put them on a rack in a half sheet pan. Strangely enough, about half an hour later, they haven't gone up in temperature at all. I'll keep an eye on them for another half an hour before I start to freak out.

Ok, half an hour later, temps started to budge upwards. Now to just have patience.

Regina

9 hours ago, Regina3000 said:

And just before midnight, the boneless butt hit 160.

I had to give up and go to bed shortly after 1 a.m. The boneless was at 165 and the bone-in at 154. I turned the oven off. I got up about 6:15 and turned the oven back on. The boneless was at 118 and the bone-in at 122. As of 20 minutes to 10, they were at 174 and 160, respectively. I'll turn the oven off when the bone-in hits 190. I may pull the boneless out when it hits 190, then let it rest before pulling it apart.

Regina

20 minutes ago, Regina3000 said:

I had to give up and go to bed shortly after 1 a.m. T

For  taste of eGullet history and smoking anxiety you might enjoy  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I pulled the boneless butt out of the oven at 190 F. Before I did, I stuck a fork in it and twisted, and it started to separate effortlessly.

701114763_bonelessporkbuttsmoked20200525.thumb.jpg.eac922b5b4b4e31ead46e1464b2da64d.jpg

"Front"

2108003025_bonelessporkbuttsmoked20200525otherside.thumb.jpg.8771fcd504bb722991036cda6146da96.jpg

"Back"

I covered it with foil.

While composing this, the other thermometer told me the bone-in hit 180 F, so I reset it to let me know when it reaches 190.

It smells sooooo gooooooood.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Regina

Beautiful!

When we used to do whole shoulders, we'd put them on the pit at 6 p.m. in order to eat at noon or shortly thereafter the next day. It required a house party so there'd be shifts of folks to stay up with it and turn it hourly. We'd also baste with a vinegar-based barbecue sauce.

Rather than temping the meat, we had a thermometer in the lid of the pit (my father was a welder and could make anything -- including the pit and lid, out of galvanized metal; pit had an open bottom so coals were on the ground). We'd do the first three hours at 175, the next six at 200, and then finishing at 225 for three more and 250 for two after that. Produced perfect shoulders.

I still have the lid to the pit; the bottom rusted out long ago. But concrete blocks make a serviceable one. It'll hold four shoulders; very rarely do I have the occasion to cook that many any more.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

47 minutes ago, kayb said:

Beautiful!

When we used to do whole shoulders, we'd put them on the pit at 6 p.m. in order to eat at noon or shortly thereafter the next day. It required a house party so there'd be shifts of folks to stay up with it and turn it hourly. We'd also baste with a vinegar-based barbecue sauce.

Rather than temping the meat, we had a thermometer in the lid of the pit (my father was a welder and could make anything -- including the pit and lid, out of galvanized metal; pit had an open bottom so coals were on the ground). We'd do the first three hours at 175, the next six at 200, and then finishing at 225 for three more and 250 for two after that. Produced perfect shoulders.

I still have the lid to the pit; the bottom rusted out long ago. But concrete blocks make a serviceable one. It'll hold four shoulders; very rarely do I have the occasion to cook that many any more.

That sounds like a neat set-up!

Regina

1 hour ago, Regina3000 said:

What to do with the skin!?! It's beautiful, but tough. Should I put it in the stock pot along with the fat and bone?

Congratulations on your results! As to your question: I'd say yes to putting the skin into whatever the fat and bone go into. It could be stock. It could be beans, or bean soup. Or a mess of greens, like collard greens. Heck, potatoes might even benefit from that flavoring. :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

Congratulations on your results! As to your question: I'd say yes to putting the skin into whatever the fat and bone go into. It could be stock. It could be beans, or bean soup. Or a mess of greens, like collard greens. Heck, potatoes might even benefit from that flavoring. :) 

I'll throw it in whole with the stock, then. My dear partner wants nothing to do with the skin and doesn't like beans. He's opposed to the idea of stock on principle ("Why would you put the parts you can't eat in there! Don't feed me that!"), but I love beans, and will probably reserve some of the stock for that purpose.

• Like 1

Regina