• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Behold My Butt! (2007– )

rama

Time to bump this wonderful thread back up to the top! :biggrin:

So I just did two 7 pound bone in butts for a party this weekend. I finally remembered to weigh the resulting pork after it had been shredded, bones removes, etc. I started with 14 pounds and ended up with 7 pounds all said and done. Is that what other people see, too ... about a 50% loss from the original weight? (Fortunately, 7 pounds of finished butt is perfect for what I need) I guess I am asking from a party planning perspective ... if I know I want 'x' amount of finished product, should I always get '2x' amount of raw product?

One other thing I've noticed is that parts of the pork butt shred easier than other parts. It seems that the meat right around the bone literally falls apart where as some of the other meat requires a bit of more work to shred it. Anyone else notice this as well? In case anyone is wondering, I usually cook my butts to about 195, cover them loosely with foil and let them sit for 60-75 minutes before shredding.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

50% loss in weight sounds about right, especially if you've got a bone-in butt. I've never thought to weight it beforehand though- good idea.

Re: shredding, I've noticed that also, and wrote it off as different muscle groups having different grain alignment- so some just fall apart, and some are tightly interlaced and take some more aggression to shred. Perhaps the meat closest to the muscle gets saturated with bone marrow fats and/or heated higher as the bone conducts heat inwards also?

Yes on both counts -- weight loss and some parts shredding more easily than others.

I always make it a point to smoke more than we can possibly eat. Leftover butt (it freezes well) makes terrific leftovers for everything from posole to tortilla or tamale filling.

Thanks for buming this up. The snow is finally gone, and it's starting to feel like spring. And, in the spring, this girl's fancy turns to thoughts of low and slow smoking and butts!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes on both counts -- weight loss and some parts shredding more easily than others.

I always make it a point to smoke more than we can possibly eat.  Leftover butt (it freezes well) makes terrific leftovers for everything from posole to tortilla or tamale filling.

Thanks for buming this up.  The snow is finally gone, and it's starting to feel like spring.  And, in the spring, this girl's fancy turns to thoughts of low and slow smoking and butts!

tomorrow is the day, gave the smoker a good cleaning today and we are going to market after I finish some yard work. Yes butt will be smoking here tomorrow. Weather is forecasted to be perfect Sunday, it will be nice to smoke in good weather

mmmmm, smoke

It is a gorgeous day in Millersville PA. The sun is shining and the pork is smoking. I have pictures that I can't upload. I imagine it is something on my end, but I'm not sure. I love ImageGullet. Today at least, it seems not to love me

just finished a lovely meal of smoked pork. It came off the WSM at 201 internal after 12 hours 30 minutes and it was perfect. I have lots of leftovers and some is destined for the freezer as well.

I regret my pictures would not post. To all my fellow smokers, Susan, Marlene, Abra, Ronnie, Chris, Emma, Dave and everyone else. Smoke that pork, kids. This topic has sort of drifted off the radar, but don't stop smoking. I just love this stuff.

We were just talking about unwrapping the smoker next weekend, maybe for some ribs.

I've got a couple of butts in the freezer I could get to smoking as well soon.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Smoking to commense here, soon. We're going to have a 13th birthday party in May, and I'm debating between brisket or butt, but wondering about doing a butt for no reason other than it is like manna!

To all my fellow smokers, Susan, Marlene, Abra, Ronnie, Chris, Emma, Dave and everyone else. Smoke that pork, kids. This topic has sort of drifted off the radar, but don't stop smoking. I just love this stuff.

Pardon the pun but I'm right behind you, Mike :biggrin:

We'll definitely be smoking a butt next weekend. I've got a cryovacked 2-pack of butts out in the fridge. I'll smoke one and I'll make sausage out of the other one.

Too bad about the pics but your dedication has inspired me, regardless :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long wet winter out here ... but the smoker's coming out this weekend! In addition, I have to build myself a new smoking platform in the backyard as I have purchased my second Bullet, and ... (looking around for Susan :rolleyes: ) a new Kettle!

Stay tuned ...

A.

It's been a long wet winter out here ... but the smoker's coming out this weekend!  In addition, I have to build myself a new smoking platform in the backyard as I have purchased my second Bullet, and ... (looking around for Susan :rolleyes: ) a new Kettle!

Stay tuned ...

A.

Oh, Arne! Be still my beating heart! A new kettle with which to make many memories! I'm smoking a mess of stuff and the end of May (Memorial Day weekend to celebrate a 13th birthday in our household) and debating between a brisket and a butt. Now that I think of it, one of each would be great!

And, Arne, do let me know when you master getting the kettle, during smoking, down to 150 degrees (F)!

And, Arne, do let me know when you master getting the kettle, during smoking, down to 150 degrees (F)!

Ohhh ... you seem to be under the impression I'm going to use the kettle to smoke. Naaah ... that's what Bullet's are for. The kettle's for grillin'. I mean, you gotta use the proper tools for the job, right?

[ducks & runs for cover] :laugh:

A.

gallery_19804_437_807244.jpg

8 pound bone-in, skin-on butt. Brined for 24 hours, dried, skin scored, rubbed with salt, pepper, and sugar, smoked overnight in the Bradley with hickory pucks. Last night, after I got everything set up outside, it suddenly became cold (40F), turned very windy, and was threatening rain. Following an anxious half-hour rolling around in bed as the screen doors slammed down the street, I decided that I had to move operations just inside the garage and, out of precaution (dinner guests tonight), I turned up the Bradley to high, what with the wind and cold and all.

This morning, I woke up, went outside, opened the door, and gave the bone a twist: perfect. Poked in a thermometer: 201F. Let it rest for about 90 minutes and then pulled it. Best butt yet.

The simple rub seems to seasoned the pulled pork just right sans sauce. Also, I think that scoring the skin -- right down into the meat in a few spots -- really seemed to break up the collagen and fat more during the smoking/cooking. It was more luscious than ever before, and the pork just fell into ribbons with very little effort on my part. Of course, I'm saving the skin and bones for soup or red beans and rice. (Ditto the pigs' feet that were smoking all night as well.)

Later today, the feast. As usual, we'll have =Mark's SC Mustard BBQ sauce, soft white buns, some cole slaw, beer, pickled beets, and pals who were lured away from another social engagement by the siren song of smoke.

What could be better?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

gallery_19804_437_807244.jpg

8 pound bone-in, skin-on butt. Brined for 24 hours, dried, skin scored, rubbed with salt, pepper, and sugar, smoked overnight in the Bradley with hickory pucks. Last night, after I got everything set up outside, it suddenly became cold (40F), turned very windy, and was threatening rain. Following an anxious half-hour rolling around in bed as the screen doors slammed down the street, I decided that I had to move operations just inside the garage and, out of precaution (dinner guests tonight), I turned up the Bradley to high, what with the wind and cold and all.

This morning, I woke up, went outside, opened the door, and gave the bone a twist: perfect. Poked in a thermometer: 201F. Let it rest for about 90 minutes and then pulled it. Best butt yet.

The simple rub seems to seasoned the pulled pork just right sans sauce. Also, I think that scoring the skin -- right down into the meat in a few spots -- really seemed to break up the collagen and fat more during the smoking/cooking. It was more luscious than ever before, and the pork just fell into ribbons with very little effort on my part. Of course, I'm saving the skin and bones for soup or red beans and rice. (Ditto the pigs' feet that were smoking all night as well.)

Later today, the feast. As usual, we'll have =Mark's SC Mustard BBQ sauce, soft white buns, some cole slaw, beer, pickled beets, and pals who were lured away from another social engagement by the siren song of smoke.

What could be better?

That's just lovely, Chris. Kudos for another top notch smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice lookin' butt Chris! I especially like the cross-hatching. Very chi-chi for a butt!

Okay smoking community, I have a question. I'm doing a big-ass smoke up this weekend (holiday weekend here in Canada) ... pulled pork, smoked chicken and 4 different kinds of ribs. I may be insane by the end of it, then again I may be insane now.

My dilemna arose today when I went to pick up the butts. They were rather small ( about 7 lbs each) so I picked up 3. My worry is that 2 of them will not fit on one rack of my Bullet. I have three, but two of them will be used for ribs.

Is it okay to cut one of the butts in half? I'm guessing that will change it's smoking time since the mass has been reduced, but outside of that is there anything I should be looking out for?

A.

Nice lookin' butt Chris!  I especially like the cross-hatching.  Very chi-chi for a butt!

Okay smoking community, I have a question.  I'm doing a big-ass smoke up this weekend (holiday weekend here in Canada) ... pulled pork, smoked chicken and 4 different kinds of ribs.  I may be insane by the end of it, then again I may be insane now.

My dilemna arose today when I went to pick up the butts.  They were rather small ( about 7 lbs each) so I picked up 3.  My worry is that 2 of them will not fit on one rack of my Bullet.  I have three, but two of them will be used for ribs.

Is it okay to cut one of the butts in half?  I'm guessing that will change it's smoking time since the mass has been reduced, but outside of that is there anything I should be looking out for?

A.

Whacking that baby in half should not cause any concern. I know it is counter intuitive, but I feel if you have one 7 pounder and one 4 pounder on the same rack in the same bullet, they will finish about the same time. On occasion, I get the guys at the meat counter to whack a butt in half for me if I am planning just to cook for myself. I have found my times to not be much different than doing a whole one.

Sounds like you have a real smokeapolozza set up, Arne. Could I assume that malted brewed beverages may also appear at this event? Have fun and happy Victoria Day.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I agree that whacking one of the butts in half should not be a problem, but here's another thought. The ribs and chicken (especially) won't take nearly as long as the butts, so what about using one rack for the whole butt and moving it down when it shrinks some? Although I've never used a bullet (only a kettle), I know that I often stick other stuff on once the butt (or brisket) has shrunk.

I'll be waiting for results of your smoke-a-thon. Serious smoking happening here next week or weekend.

I agree that whacking one of the butts in half should not be a problem,
Thanks Susan & Mike. That's just what I was thinking, but needed the support of group-think. :rolleyes: And yes Mike, there will be suds, including my ritual 3am can of lager!
but here's another thought.  The ribs and chicken (especially) won't take nearly as long as the butts, so what about using one rack for the whole butt and moving it down when it shrinks some?

Susan, I won't be smoking everything at once. The chicken (thighs) only take about 3 hours, so I'll smoke those off on Saturday morning. I usually do about 5 dozen so I'll have some extra to keep in the freezer. I'll heat them up on the day of the event in the convection and give them a quick shot on the grill to crisp up the skin.

I'll have 3 Bullets at my disposal (2 are mine, one is nwyles') so I can use one for the butts and the other 2 for the ribs. So, timing isn't really going to be a worry. I even have the Kettle just in case, although I doubt I'll attempt a first time smoke on it when I have 50 guests! I did a couple racks of ribs on it the other day using indirect heat and they worked just fine ...

Pictures will follow, but later on during the week.

A.

Sadly, there will be no smoking here until we get to the cottage in late June. However, the first long weekend of the summer will see us smoking the last of the very large pork shoulders I have left in the freezer.

I'm already planning the smoked turkey for the first Thanksgiving at the cottage this year. :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Arrggghhh, you guys are killing me! I can't say when I'll be able to smoke - right now I'm living on leafy greens and salmon and sardines, trying to see if dietary changes can cure the inflammation that's been plaguing my wrists. But I'll be lurking and admiring, that's for sure!

Some pictures from this weekend's smoke:

gallery_16561_2912_7472.jpg

Arne is sporting a stylish, yet functional Corian© ballcap which today reeks of smoke. The beer's yellow label (Leffe) nicely offsets the smokey surroundings.

This also shows the new smoking-grotto at the Daddy-A household. There are now two Bullets, a Kettle and my favourite addition, a tent!

gallery_16561_2912_2947.jpg

One of 3 Butts to be pulled

gallery_16561_2912_108379.jpg

The Finished Pull

The butt I cut in half worked perfectly, finishing exactly on time with the others.

An odd spike at the end of the smoke saw the whole butt on the bottom rack jump from 180F to 201F in just under 15 minutes! It was sooooo tender it fell apart in my hands when I pulled it out of the smoker. I was worried I had dried it out, but nothing would be further from the truth. Very moist and incredibly smokey ... easily the deepest smoke ring I've ever achieved.

If you're interested, HERE is the post of the weekend's complete smoking agenda.

A.

Looks good Daddy-A. You had rain, we had 60 degree weather.

Anyone using an off set smoker should consider trying this method of building the fire. Explained by Boar_D_Laze elsewhere, I found it works great.

gallery_39290_4300_13949.jpggallery_39290_4300_4250.jpg

I arrange 10lbs of charcoal along with some Hickory chunks, around a bottomless 3lb coffee can. Dumped a chimney full of lit coals and removed the coffee can.

gallery_39290_4300_19488.jpggallery_39290_4300_17153.jpg

On the cooking grate, I placed 2 racks of ribs, a 4lb butt and a 2" deep pan of boiling water and closed the lid.

gallery_39290_4300_9409.jpggallery_39290_4300_15300.jpg

This is what the built in thermometer was reading, they spent three whole cents on it. This is the reading from my remote thermometer (267) placed through the side of the cooking chamber just below the cooking great. I set the fire box flute to 1/4 open and the heat held @ 245 for 2 1/2 hours.

gallery_39290_4300_7588.jpggallery_39290_4300_12328.jpg

Did I mention it was cold? After 4 hours the ribs were done.

gallery_39290_4300_10777.jpggallery_39290_4300_6211.jpg

The ribs went on the gas grill to get some sauce. The but which was still at 120F was place in a covered Pyrex dish and into a 325F oven for two hours.

gallery_39290_4300_16217.jpggallery_39290_4300_7535.jpg

The ribs were very juicy, served with Mac n Cheese and cabbage salad.

Some pictures from this weekend's smoke:

Those three bullets look so good in the grotto. Beautiful job on the meat! mmm. Anyone know if it's ok to smoke on a townhouse patio? Are we talking a LOT of smoke?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello