• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

it makes sense now

Didn't know where to post this, so I'll revive this old thread.

I smoked my first butt today, two 5# at the same time, two different methods. One with a Texas crunch (aluminum foil after butt hits 140F) and one without. We ate first one today, here's the pics

IMG_2997.thumb.JPG.b960fe7e361f9397209ecfb879d4db66.JPG   IMG_2998.thumb.JPG.82e6be68c8c6dd1db64811256f5850ab.JPG

I made chopped pork sandwiches on a kaiser roll. It was ok. Mr. Smokey put some of his side salad with Southern Cream dressing (which is very zesty) on top, then it became awesome.

So many schools of thought on pork butt, I don't know who to believe. This butt was pulled at 190F, no foil. It had a beautiful bark, I used Meathead's Memphis Dust rub. Taste was just ok. I don't think I like this method.

The second butt was pulled at 205F, but it took longer, at least an hour longer, which differs from conventional wisdom, which says a Texas crunch is suppose to cook the meat faster. It didn't for us. But it was so tender and moist, much easier to "pull". The first butt we had to chop, it wasn't pulling. The second was more reminiscent of what I've had in good BBQ joints. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but the bark wasn't anywhere as nice as butt #1. I'll have a taste tomorrow and compare. So far, I like the Texas crunch method better.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

it makes sense now

I smoked my first butt today, two 5# at the same time, two different methods. One with a Texas crunch (aluminum foil after butt hits 140F) and one without. We ate first one today, here's the pics

IMG_2997.thumb.JPG.b960fe7e361f9397209ecfb879d4db66.JPG   IMG_2998.thumb.JPG.82e6be68c8c6dd1db64811256f5850ab.JPG

I made chopped pork sandwiches on a kaiser roll. It was ok. Mr. Smokey put some of his side salad with Southern Cream dressing (which is very zesty) on top, then it became awesome.

So many schools of thought on pork butt, I don't know who to believe. This butt was pulled at 190F, no foil. It had a beautiful bark, I used Meathead's Memphis Dust rub. Taste was just ok. I don't think I like this method.

The second butt was pulled at 205F, but it took longer, at least an hour longer, which differs from conventional wisdom, which says a Texas crunch is suppose to cook the meat faster. It didn't for us. But it was so tender and moist, must easier to "pull". The first butt we had to chop, it wasn't pulling. The second was more reminiscent of what I've had in good BBQ joints. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but the bark wasn't anywhere as nice as butt #1. I'll have a taste tomorrow and compare. So far, I like the Texas crunch method better.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

The second butt was pulled at 205F, but it took longer, at least an hour longer, which differs from conventional wisdom, which says a Texas crunch is suppose to cook the meat faster. It didn't for us. But it was so tender and moist, must easier to "pull". The first butt we had to chop, it wasn't pulling. The second was more reminiscent of what I've had in good BBQ joints. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but the bark wasn't anywhere as nice as butt #1. I'll have a taste tomorrow and compare. So far, I like the Texas crunch method better.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

The second butt was pulled at 205F, but it took longer, at least an hour longer, which differs from conventional wisdom, which says a Texas crunch is suppose to cook the meat faster. It didn't for us. But it was so tender and moist, must easier to "pull". The first butt we had to chop, it wasn't pulling. This butt was more reminiscent of what I've had in good BBQ joints. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but the bark was anywhere as nice as butt #1. I'll have a taste tomorrow and compare. So far, I like the Texas crunch method better.