• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Can I Hasten the Ripening of Bananas?

Shel_B

I never buy regular yellow bananas.

The stores here sell bananas which have black spots at a good discount. They have spots because they are ripe or have superficial bruises on the skin. They are ready for eating immediately or in one more day. Great for making banana bread.

Yesterday I paid $0.99 for 3.25 lbs.

dcarch

I have never pureed my bananas, just mashed, and I have never seen any worms in my banana bread either.

You never get the little black threads from your bananas?  I must be getting a different sort from you...  I still recommend puréeing them though.  You can do a lot more with purée than mashed banana.

That's the plan - doing something like that to increase the banana flavor, but by extracting some liquid from the bananas and concentrating its flavor.

This may be a silly question, but how do you extract liquid from a banana?  I've never seen them go to anything thinner than a pulp.

I realize, of course, that my comments will be nothing of any help whatsoever to Shel_B so, Shel, let me point out in advance of you saying so, that I understand that.  However, this might be of use to others seeking to improve their banana bread.

For many years I have used the Cook's Illustrated Ultimate Banana Bread recipe.  You can find it online.  The part of the recipe pertinent to this thread is that it calls for five bananas in the bread (and another to decorate the top, but that doesn't relate to this conversation).  You are supposed to get them to the so-mushy-they're-liquid stage.  You can do that either by allowing them to get that old, or freezing them, or putting them in the microwave.

Then, when they're sopping and dripping liquid, you put them into a strainer, allowing them to drain into a bowl, and then mashing them in the strainer until you've got as much of the liquid out as possible. You should wind up with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of liquid.

Then you boil down the liquid, concentrating it to 1/4 cup.

Then you proceed as usual.

This makes what is, by far, the best and most intensely-flavored banana bread that anyone in my personal circle of family and friends has ever had.

Like I say, I realize this will be of no help to Shel.  It's not what he asked about and not what he wants to know.  And I apologize for cluttering up his thread with such hopelessly useless information as this.  

But I posted it anyway because of the possibility that perhaps jmacnaughtan and a few others might find it of some value.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I realize, of course, that my comments will be nothing of any help whatsoever to Shel_B so, Shel, let me point out in advance of you saying so, that I understand that.  However, this might be of use to others seeking to improve their banana bread.

For many years I have used the Cook's Illustrated Ultimate Banana Bread recipe.  You can find it online.  The part of the recipe pertinent to this thread is that it calls for five bananas in the bread (and another to decorate the top, but that doesn't relate to this conversation).  You are supposed to get them to the so-mushy-they're-liquid stage.  You can do that either by allowing them to get that old, or freezing them, or putting them in the microwave.

Then, when they're sopping and dripping liquid, you put them into a strainer, allowing them to drain into a bowl, and then mashing them in the strainer until you've got as much of the liquid out as possible. You should wind up with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of liquid.

This makes what is, by far, the best and most intensely-flavored banana bread that anyone in my personal circle of family and friends has ever had.

Like I say, I realize this will be of no help to Shel.  It's not what he asked about and not what he wants to know.  And I apologize for cluttering up his thread with such hopelessly useless information as this.  

But I posted it anyway because of the possibility that perhaps jmacnaughtan and a few others might find it of some value.

And that's the recipe that gave me the idea to make the banana bread I described.  I have the CI Ultimate Banana Bread recipe in my files, and after making this batch of bread (which is in the oven as we type) I intend to try the CI recipe.  So, while you may not have realized it, you have been very helpful, even if for no other reason I have gotten confirmation that it's a good recipe and that it will most likely give me what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

... Shel

I've decided to experiment with ripening techniques, such as ripening the banana on the countertop, in a paper bag, in a bag with an apple, and in a glass bowl with a lid of some sort on it.  I wonder if there will be any substantive difference in the time it takes the bananas to reach a certain degree of ripeness, or any differences in taste and flavor.  Any thoughts on this experiment?

One of the things I want to do with the banana bread is to include chunks of banana, which I did in this last batch I made.  The chunks added a nice textural element to the bread, but by the second day they'd oxidized enough to show an unappealing color, and the flavor was less "bananary" than desired.  Is there a way to get the banana chunks to last longer and not discolor?  I was thinking about using a less-than-fully-ripe banana for this purpose, and mixing the firmer chunks into the batter.  Any thoughts on this idea?  Is there some other way to preserve the integrity of the chunks?

... Shel

Another interesting aspect of the recipe is the use of brown, rather than regular granulated, sugar.  I tried using brown and granulated sugar in this last batch, and the brown sugar added a very nice flavor to the bread.  Highly recommended along with the very, very ripe bananas.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I've decided to experiment with ripening techniques, such as ripening the banana on the countertop, in a paper bag, in a bag with an apple, and in a glass bowl with a lid of some sort on it.  I wonder if there will be any substantive difference in the time it takes the bananas to reach a certain degree of ripeness, or any differences in taste and flavor.  Any thoughts on this experiment?

One of the things I want to do with the banana bread is to include chunks of banana, which I did in this last batch I made.  The chunks added a nice textural element to the bread, but by the second day they'd oxidized enough to show an unappealing color, and the flavor was less "bananary" than desired.  Is there a way to get the banana chunks to last longer and not discolor?  I was thinking about using a less-than-fully-ripe banana for this purpose, and mixing the firmer chunks into the batter.  Any thoughts on this idea?  Is there some other way to preserve the integrity of the chunks?

Maybe try re-hydrating dried, broken banana chips or it's possible the dough moisture and baking would re-hydrate them enough all in one step?

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

It's said some fruits ripen well sous vide, not that I have tried myself.  I'd start with well under ripe bananas so that they are not mushed by the pressure of the bag.  However a good thing is the lack of oxygen may keep the bananas from turning brown as they ripen.  Now I almost want to do the experiment to see what happens.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is there a way to get the banana chunks to last longer and not discolor?  I was thinking about using a less-than-fully-ripe banana for this purpose, and mixing the firmer chunks into the batter.  Any thoughts on this idea?  Is there some other way to preserve the integrity of the chunks?

Maybe try re-hydrating dried, broken banana chips or it's possible the dough moisture and baking would re-hydrate them enough all in one step?

I was gonna say dried bananas; I don't know that I'd even rehydrate them; they should rehydrate nicely from the heat and liquid of the batter while it's being baked. The raisins and cranberries that I use in my banana bread do just fine.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Shel, another thought that I have had is to use a different variety of banana. We are drowned in cavendish bananas here in Australia, but the best flavour wise that I have experienced is the little lady finger bananas that are endemic in Asia. They are much sweeter and have a much more pronounced banana flavour.

Simon

• Like 1

Shel, another thought that I have had is to use a different variety of banana. We are drowned in cavendish bananas here in Australia, but the best flavour wise that I have experienced is the little lady finger bananas that are endemic in Asia. They are much sweeter and have a much more pronounced banana flavour.

Simon

Thanks for the suggestion.  I started thinking along those same lines, and would have to find an appropriate cultivar and then a place to buy it.  But it might be a good idea, and it will certainly be an educational experience (learning about different types of bananas).  I read about some little red ones that are supposed to be nice and sweet, and I may have seen them somewhere.

... Shel

It's said some fruits ripen well sous vide, not that I have tried myself.  I'd start with well under ripe bananas so that they are not mushed by the pressure of the bag.  However a good thing is the lack of oxygen may keep the bananas from turning brown as they ripen.  Now I almost want to do the experiment to see what happens.

That's not going to happen for me - no plans to get a vacuum sealer (although I thought I had one).

... Shel

Might be worth a try ... thanks!

... Shel

Americas test kitchen in their book cooks illustrated. Said that the oven method for ripening does not work. Yes it browns the peel. But the essential conversion of starch to sugars does not speed up. They to recommend ripening with an already ripe ethylene producing fruit.

I've not time to read the whole thread so I could be repeating.

Other methods I've not seen notes on, e.g. Sous vide