• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

All my life I've used the grocery store versions of La Choy or Kikkoman.  Kikkoman was what was on the tables of every Chinese restaurant I ever ate at - even in Chinatown, DC.  It wasn't until I started reading about food in serious magazines and online that I even realized that, of course, there were differences in soy sauces, just like there are differences in the quality of all condiments.  But I never did anything about it until last week when my need for going to an Asian market coincided with running out of soy sauce.  So I did a little cellphone eG research standing in the sauce aisle (not as easy as it sounds) and came up with this:

IMG_4034.jpg.e02937c190d7e8171862f767820153b2.jpg

How did I do?  And if I didn't do well, give me some advice so I can do better next time.

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

All my life I've used the grocery store versions of La Choy or Kikkoman.  Kikkoman was what was on the tables of every Chinese restaurant I ever ate at - even in Chinatown, DC.  It wasn't until I started reading about food in serious magazines and online that I even realized that, of course, there were differences in soy sauces, just like there are differences in the quality of all condiments.  But I never did anything about it until last week when my need for going to an Asian market coincided with running out of soy sauce.  So I did a little cellphone eG research standing in the sauce aisle (not as easy as it sounds) and came up with this:

IMG_4034.jpg.e02937c190d7e8171862f767820153b2.jpg

How did I do?