• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Cakes: Fresh or cooked halibut?

Dejah

I have several tail end portions of fresh halibut to use up. Ann_T used leftover halibut for the ones she made Moe. Googled gave me a couple of recipes using fresh halibut pulsed in the food processor.

Would appreciate some advice so I can cook 'em up for supper in about 3 hours.

Thanks!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have made thai fish cakes (tod mun pla) with both cooked and raw fish and prefer using raw. I find the texture more cohesive and the flavours are cleaner than with cooked and flaked fish.

I pulse the fish with the aromatics and spices till nearly smooth in the food processor. I can post the recipe if you like.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Edited by Simon Lewinson (log)

Thanks for the replies,  Simon, scubadoo, and janeer.

Janeer: Hand chopped the cod? I really missed the texture in the fish cakes I made. Should have realized from making crab cakes that texture is important. The flavour in the fish cakes was good, but texture was too "smooth"...Live, Eat, and Learn! :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for the replies,  Simon, scubadoo, and janeer.

Janeer: Hand chopped the cod? I really missed the texture in the fish cakes I made. Should have realized from making crab cakes that texture is important. The flavour in the fish cakes was good, but texture was too "smooth"...Live, Eat, and Learn! :smile:

Yes, hand chopped for sure. There were no food processors back in the day!