• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2006–

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

This Methodist has never eaten a matzah ball. I should remedy that.

I make a fine latke, though.

Ditto on both counts but I’m not a Methodist. There is nothing methodical about me at all. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ditto on both counts but I’m not a Methodist. There is nothing methodical about me at all. 

I figure John Wesley was methodical enough for me and him both.

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

Oh, I can't let that one go by. There's a whole range of matzah balls, from sinkers to floaters. I happen to be partial to the sinkers myself, but they're not heavy like lead. They're dense and solid, for sure, but if they're made well they're delicious. Here's a good read: 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/how-to-make-the-best-matzo-balls.html

Personally, I can't say that I've had a good dense matzah ball that I've enjoyed - not that they don't exist somewhere!

• Like 1

I prefer a matzoh ball with some density, mine were fluffy (ie, floaters), I make them from mix and use Eggbeaters instead of whole eggs, so the extra whites may have some impact. I made matzoh ball soup with lots of parsnips and carrot, brisket, bone-in chicken breasts, roasted yukon gold potato wedges, Mom made roasted broccoli and a Persian style quinoa pilaf. Dessert was brought by Uncle, mandel bread and macaroons (plain and chocolate) which felt like they weighed a 1/4 lb each. We had good wine (not Kosher) because there is a limit to our suffering.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

14 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

We had good wine (not Kosher) because there is a limit to our suffering.

xDIt is the holiday of freedom, after all!! 

I went out for both Seders, so didn't have much to do. I usually make desserts, and there's a standard request: Maida Heatter's Saturday Night Meringues. They're very good, and I've even found a decent kosher for Passover pareve chocolate to use for it. I also made a lemon sponge cake (with potato flour and almond flour, no matzoh meal). And I bought some chocolate covered matzah, which is always fun.