• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2006–

I attended my very first Passover last night. I was instructed to bring dessert, so I brought these Lemon Cakes with Lemon Basil Syrup and a flourless chocolate cake with raspberry coulis. It was a hit! I was so happy that everyone liked them!

I have a question for everyone. I'm invited to another Passover tonight (when it rains it pours!) and am bringing another flourless chocolate cake for the much smaller group. I'm thinking that a lime sorbet would go really nicely, but I don't know if sorbets are Kosher. Would it be ok?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I'm thinking that a lime sorbet would go really nicely, but I don't know if sorbets are Kosher. Would it be ok?

The following Orthodox Union certified Dreyer's and Edy's SORBET contain no dairy ingredients, but are labeled OUD as they are produced on dairy equipment:

Apple Cinnamon Whole Fruit Sorbet

Boysenberry Whole Fruit Sorbet

Blueberry Whole Fruit Sorbet

Lemon Sorbet

Mango Whole Fruit Sorbet

Mandarin Orange & Passion Fruit Sorbet

Raspberry Sorbet

Strawberry Sorbet

Tropical Whole Fruit Sorbet

The following information was from the Orthodox Union's Daf HaKashrus on January, 2003.

The following OU certified Haagen Dazs Sorbets contain NO dairy ingredients of any sort, but are labeled OU-D as they are processed on dairy equipment:

Chocolate Sorbet

Chocolate Sorbet Bar

Lemon Sorbet

Mango Fruit Sorbet

Orange Sorbet

Orange Peach Sorbet

Raspberry Fruit Sorbet

Raspberry Sorbet

Strawberry Sorbet

Strawberry Fruit Sorbet

Zesty Lemon Sorbet

source for this information

Sorbet, if it has an OU on the label, is normally kosher .. depends on the religious observances of your hosts when it comes to Passover ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm actually in the process of baking my one contribution to Passover, these almond thumbprint cookies from Gourmet. Yes, I know, Passover started Wed night. But my father's the only Jew in a family of Catholics, and we haven't had a sedar since I was a kid (which I miss). Anyway, come Easter on Sunday, it'll still be Passover, so I've taken on the job of baking something appropriate for dessert each year (it's a mixed dessert table - there'll be a birthday cake for my cousin, too). Dad likes cookies a lot, so this was a good choice. From the "broken" one, they taste pretty good. :raz:

Tomorrow's project is mac & cheese, also for Easter dinner, but Dad doesn't like it anyway :shock: , so I don't feel too guilty about making pasta.

Edited by Allura (log)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Happy Pesach to all!!! At our seder last night, there was talk of a Passover cooking article from last Sunday's Wall Street Journal that was made up of recipes that contained ingredients that are traditionally not used for Passover (mustard, soy sauce, cornstarch...). My family and friends were outraged at the editor for allowing these recipes to be published as kosher for passover. I don't have the article and can't seem to get the link. Has anyone seen it, and what do people think of this?

Helen Kimmel

Happy Pesach to all!!!  At our seder last night, there was talk of a Passover cooking article from last Sunday's Wall Street Journal that was made up of recipes that contained ingredients that are traditionally not used for Passover (mustard, soy sauce, cornstarch...). My family and friends were outraged at the editor for allowing these recipes to be published as kosher for passover.  I don't have the article and can't seem to get the link.  Has anyone seen it, and what do people think of this?

Perhaps they were Sephardi recipes... or perhaps.. the writer is a member of the KLO (Kitniyot Liberation Front).

(Haven't seen the article though)

last Sunday's Wall Street Journal that was made up of recipes that contained ingredients that are traditionally not used for Passover (mustard, soy sauce, cornstarch...). My family and friends were outraged at the editor for allowing these recipes to be published as kosher for passover.  I don't have the article and can't seem to get the link.  Has anyone seen it, and what do people think of this?

Yes, FoodieRD, I read it in my subscription to the WSJ and I was not particularly surprised to find all manner of non-Pesach ingredients involved. I seriously doubt that the recipes were intended for anyone observant in the least. They would have immediately seen the use of various ingredients which are not permissable ...

Oriental style dishes don't lend themselves to Passover actually ... I think that the WSJ was trying to say that this was one variation on Passover cooking. But it was not for anyone serious about kashrut on this holiday.

Doubt that it is online because few of their articles are ... someone will find a link ... one person here knows how to do this when I don't .. maybe in that way, we'll be able to read the recipes ...

Thanks for bringing it up .. thought I was the only one noticing the irony ... :wink:

A friend of mine makes some great Passover food but she's the type of cook who never shares a recipe no matter how close you are to her and how many times you ask for it.  She makes a great Wolfgang Puck matzo ball recipe that she got many years

ago and I've yet to find it anywhere, and I've looked.  

Julliana

Here's a recipe that I have called Puck's Matzoh Balls -- I'm sure that it's from Wolfgang Puck.

Enjoy!!

--Nancy Berry

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pucks' Matzoh Balls

Recipe By : Wolfgang Puck

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :

Categories : Jewish Passover

Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

6 large Eggs

2 1/2 tablespoons Fresh parsley -- Fine chopped

1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh thyme -- Finely chopped

2 teaspoons Kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon Ground white pepper

1/8 teaspoon Cayenne -- optional

1/2 cup Clarified unsalted butter -- or Chicken schmaltz

1 1/2 cups Matzoh meal

1/4 teaspoon Baking powder

1 cup Club soda

10 cups Chicken soup

Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in the parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne. Whisk in the butter (or melted chicken schmaltz *) and then the matzoh meal and baking powder **. Whisk in the club soda until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.

Place the chicken soup in a large pot and bring to a boil.

With moistened hands, form the matzoh meal mixture into 2" balls. Drop the balls into the soup, reduce the heat so the soup simmers and cook for 30 minutes.

*Chicken schmaltz is what I use, Wolfgang Puck does not suggest this.

** Baking powder is what is called for in Wolfgang Pucks recipe, but I would doubt that leaving it out would cause a problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm thinking that a lime sorbet would go really nicely, but I don't know if sorbets are Kosher. Would it be ok?

The following Orthodox Union certified Dreyer's and Edy's SORBET contain no dairy ingredients, but are labeled OUD as they are produced on dairy equipment:

snip

The following OU certified Haagen Dazs Sorbets contain NO dairy ingredients of any sort, but are labeled OU-D as they are processed on dairy equipment:

snip

source for this information

Sorbet, if it has an OU on the label, is normally kosher .. depends on the religious observances of your hosts when it comes to Passover ...

Just keep in mind that many commercial sorbets contain corn syrup. Did you end up serving a lime sorbet? Was it homemade?

Here are some more interesting Passsover recipes you could make the rest of the week.

Not Your Grandmother's Kneidelach

On Pessah, like all Jewish festivals, food takes center stage. Under the strict kosher limitations of the holiday, creating a tempting meal is sometimes not an easy task, especially if you want to have variety during the entire week.

Here are thee inventive recipes from leading chefs who have created impressive yet easy to cook dishes meant to excite the taste buds.

Since Gifted Gourmet showed off her beautiful seder plate, I thought I would show mine.

It is from a local Israeli Artist:

gallery_8006_298_154518.jpg

You are going to think I am nuts, but I dreamt about this seder plate before I bought it. I always wanted a seder plate, but I could never find one that I liked and I had an idea that it would be nice if I could find one that had green or blue glass vessels, for some reason that appealed to me. On my first visit to Israel, I went to a museum in Jerusalem and there was my seder plate in the gift shop. I bought it on the spot.

That looks like a seder plate they would use on Star Trek!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And now for something a bit different .. or "why didn't I think of this?" :rolleyes:

the most obvious snack of all

Passover Salt Fix: Baked Potato Chips

When I left work this afternoon, I considered stopping at a supermarket to buy something, anything, that I could munch on. Instead I decided to take charge of the situation in a different way: I went straight home and made potato chips. They’re easy, they’re crunchy, they’re salty, they’re yummy, there’s almost no added fat, and they’re much, much cheaper than buying a bag of greasy kosher-for-Passover chips. Of course by tomorrow I’m sure I’ll be sick of eating them, and then I’ll be back to hating on the holiday.

plus this .. a pictorial on matzo brie

Help! I have searched through this whole thread and found only 2 passover cake recipes that did not contain nuts.

My uncle has a nut and seed allergy, and I would like to prepare a nice dessert that has no nuts or seeds. Any suggestions of favorites that fit the bill?

I would appreciate any guidance.

I had wonderful success substituting matzoh meal for whole wheat pastry flour in this James Ormsby's Whole-Wheat carrot cake . The recipe calls for some nuts but I think you could easily leave them out. I haven't played around very much with a zucchini version but everybody at our seder really liked this one. (Works fine as a single recipe in a standard cake pan but if you try to double it, I'd recommend a tube or bundt pan so it cooks through.)

I do use Passover baking powder and baking soda for this recipe.

Jayne

edited to add remark about baking powder/soda

Jayne, thank you SO much for this recommendation! I made the carrot cake for our 2nd Seder (held last night--go figure) and it was a HUGE hit. It weighs a ton, though--is that from all of the ingredients, or is it because there is matzo meal in it? Either way, we all loved it, and I wanted to thank you. :wub:

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Any one make cinnamon balls?

6oz ground almonds

8oz sugar

3 egg white beaten

2 tbs cinnamon

Mix, roll into balls, low oven until the outside dries but the inside is still soft, Roll in icing sugar

That sounds delicious Jack. Would you say 150C?

I never thought of that, but I it does. I am sure Spock and Captain Kirk would have had an interesting seder with it. :raz:

My G-d. I'd like pictures from their seder.

And now for something a bit different .. or "why didn't I think of this?" :rolleyes:

the most obvious snack of all

Passover Salt Fix: Baked Potato Chips

When I left work this afternoon, I considered stopping at a supermarket to buy something, anything, that I could munch on. Instead I decided to take charge of the situation in a different way: I went straight home and made potato chips. They’re easy, they’re crunchy, they’re salty, they’re yummy, there’s almost no added fat, and they’re much, much cheaper than buying a bag of greasy kosher-for-Passover chips. Of course by tomorrow I’m sure I’ll be sick of eating them, and then I’ll be back to hating on the holiday.

plus this .. a pictorial on matzo brie

Thanks for the nod to my blog, Melissa! I've also got a couple of other Pesach recipes:

Chocolate Souffle Cake (a diet-friendly version, no less)

Jewish-Style Smothered Chicken

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

I never thought of that, but I it does. I am sure Spock and Captain Kirk would have had an interesting seder with it. :raz:

My G-d. I'd like pictures from their seder.

Well, Spock and Kirk ARE Jewish, you know. Nimoy grew up Orthodox, actually.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, Spock and Kirk ARE Jewish, you know. Nimoy grew up Orthodox, actually.

and Kirk is now 'Denny Crane' .. highly successful Boston Legal star ... now back to Passover and its complexities ... how shall I use my U Bet chocolate syrup?? anyone? :rolleyes: