• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2006–

Melissa (Gifted Gourmet)--

Thanks for the reply -- I should have mentioned that the recipe uses chicken parts, not boneless breasts and is not stuffed... I'm guessing it was March 2003 issue of Saveur....Thanks so much for the help!

Anyone have any favorite vegan seder recipes?  I may need some.

My Charoset recipe would qualify if you left out the honey or substituted some demerara sugar instead.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anyone have any favorite vegan seder recipes?  I may need some.

Seth, there are many different type of vegetarian options in the following, but you might have to sort out the vegan recipes a little ...

Vegan options

many of these have vegan recipe ideas

more links to recipes

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have located the recipe -- chicken with apricots and currants -- and will post it tomorrow.

Apparently it is from the Silver Palate Cookbook.

Because of copyright issues, please do not post it from the book unless you have made significant changes in your preparation of the recipe. We do not have the option of posting recipes verbatim ... but, if you made changes, and if it became even better, then please do tell us about it! :wink:

Meringues are another good option for dessert.

Oh, yeah - meringues! For some reason, I was thinking they had flour in them, but it's just egg whites.

I have a very old recipe I cut out from somewhere long ago, for fried chicken using matzo meal, cinnamon and lemon that's great. If anyone wants it, I can dig it out. But I honestly can't remember where it came from.

sadly, since I haven't altered the recipe, i cannot post it. what i can tell you, however, is that the apricot and currant chicken is a huge hit for passover and you can find it either in the silver palate good times cookbook or in the april/may 2003 issue of saveur. or by pm'ing me.

try google with the following search criteria:

chicken apricots currants "silver palate" +"bitter orange"

A bunch of stuff comes back. (The only thing is that you can't always tell if someone has paraphrased something.)

jayne

edited to remove extra quotation mark

Edited by jaynesb (log)

in the april/may 2003 issue of saveur.

Interestingly, that particular issue had an article by eG's Steven Shaw:

Saveur April/May 2003

Review

Two substantial new compilations of food writing good and great serve up tastes of gastronomes from Chekhov to Beard. By Steven A. Shaw

I am willing to risk trying this recipe:from Jewish Food.com

:hmmm:adapt, schmadapt ... looks fine to me! :laugh:

I am still looking for a wow Passover dessert. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am making Chufi's Wesper Moeppen (sans the flour) and dipping one side in bittersweet chocolate.

I need a cake suggestion.

NY Magazine Passover recipes

This is new to me and the recipes look like something I might be able to try to update the meals that week:

• Salmon Gefilte Fish With Carrot

• Asparagus-and-Caramelized-Spring-Onion Farfel

• The Best Chicken Soup With Matzo Balls

• Almond Pavlova With Lemon Curd and Strawberries

• Chicken With Dates

• Orange Flan

• Italian-Jewish-Style Brisket

• Passover Flourless Chocolate Cake

• Tsimmes

I really like the idea of a flourless chocolate cake, but pareve, with a fresh raspberry coulis ... :wink:

That link to the Chicago Jewish News changed but here is a new link to Creole Passover recipes:Jewish Times

NY Magazine Passover recipes

This is new to me and the recipes look like something I might be able to try to update the meals that week:

•  Salmon Gefilte Fish With Carrot   

I have a friend who does salmon gefilte fish each year - it's...interesting. Not being a big fan of the method myself, I have to say with salmon it's at least bearable :raz: .

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I am making Chufi's Wesper Moeppen (sans the flour) and dipping one side in bittersweet chocolate.

Michelle -- As the family baker, I've made it my personal mission to gather up and try numerous desserts over the years that are suitable for Passover. Can you help focus ma bit with what you have in mind?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I am doing the famous Passover Flourless Cake and serving it on a fresh raspberry, strawberry coulis ... would do a whipped cream topping but the Seders are both meat and desserts must be parve ... also an upside down apple cake ...

after a late seder with the heavy foods and tired guests, I don't spend a lot of time on a fancy dessert ... but I might during that week ... after the first two "work intensive" days are over ... sigh .. just contemplating the work of cleaning out all the chometz in my house is making me pre-lethargic ... :unsure:

I do not know how it started, but the Passover food tradition that was a regular in my family was a celebration of chicken fat, or schmaltz. The evening before Passover began, my mother would render pieces of chicken fat and skin along with some onion. The result would be a golden elixir and crisp, brown cracklings or grebenes. My mother would sprinkle the hot grebenes with kosher salt and serve it to my father and I, she called it "Jewish popcorn." There are few food memories from my childhood that rival biting into those warm, crunchy, salty, bits.

The strained chicken fat would go into a nice crystal bowl (only the best for such a treasured item) and sit in the refrigerator until the seder the following evening. During the seder meal, we would thinly spread the solidified chicken fat onto hot shmurah matzo, were it would melt in an instant, sprinkle it with kosher salt and eat. It was a glorious thing, elevating the matzoh to what I envision mannah from heaven must have been to my ancestors crossing the sinai. Eating that, along with a glass of Dr. Browns cream soda was what Passover was all about for me as a child.

It was a glorious thing, elevating the matzoh to what I envision mannah from heaven must  have been to my ancestors crossing the sinai.  Eating that, along with a glass of Dr. Browns cream soda was what Passover was all about for me as a child.

Ah, Jewish "comfort food" which would have made Proust proud .. thanks for the glorious memory and may you create it for future generations to cherish and wax poetic about, Artichoke!

Not certain if I've posted this before, but I'm too tired to back back 18 pages. The Fabulous Foods website has a nice section with some decent Passover recipes and advice on it.

Actually the entire site is pretty good. I also use their Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce recipe every Thanksgiving, which goes particularly well with deep fried turkey. The low fat section also has some good recipes.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Michelle -- As the family baker, I've made it my personal mission to gather up and try numerous desserts over the years that are suitable for Passover. Can you help focus ma bit with what you have in mind?

In the past I have made the following:

River Cafe Pistachio Cake

Chocolate Almond Torte

Chocolate Sorbet

I am considering an Orange and Ginger cake for this year. I am going to make one this weekend and see how it tastes. This recipe has an orange (peel and all), fresh ginger and candied ginger.

I would like to have another cake recipe just in case I need a plan B.