• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2006–

Just a side point on Indian Jews: I understand that the Calcutta community did indeed have Iraqi origins, and I wouldn't doubt that many of the Bombay Jews could also have Iraqi ancestry, but I do not believe this was true of the Cochin community.

Last week, two very good customers were in the store. One man from Bombay and an Israeli woman whose parents were from Morocco. Since this is the first year we have a real-honest-to-goodness little kosher grocery store, we have been asking our good customers what they'd like us to bring in for Passover, which has been leading to many interesting discussions on kitniyot.

Mr. Bombay was telling me that all they ever used at Passover when he was in India (yes, from Iraq originally) was peanut oil. For Ms. Israel, her family always ate fresh beans and green beans. He ate rice (though she didn't) but they both had sesame... etc. The funny thing is that in such an Ashkenazi dominated country (Canada), there are only a handful of items available on my suppliers' Passover lists that would fall under the 'kitniyot' heading.

On one hand I'm envious of the items allowed in the Sephardi kitchen - on the other hand, it seems to me that part of Passover is... well... doing without. The joy of that first outing to the sushi restaurant after Pesach for rice (in numerous forms) - for me, it's as wonderful as that first after-Passover pizza is for many others.

This just in from the Epicurious website today:

more charoset than the Israelites could ever imagine!

RECIPES

Traditional Apple-Walnut Charoset

Candied Walnut Charoset

Sephardic Charoset

Fig and Port Wine Charoset

Apricot-Pistachio Charoset

Orange-Ginger Charoset

and a wonderful article as well:

Recipes for charoset are as far-flung as the Jewish people. Across the Middle East, dried fruit is the primary ingredient, but some communities cook it, some soak it in water and then purée, and some simply chop all the ingredients finely. Yemenite Jews add pepper and coriander, resulting in a mixture characteristic of their spicy cooking. Persians, fond of sweet-and-sour flavors, use tangy pomegranate or vinegar. Iraqis (and Indian Jews, who originated in Iraq) boil dates down to a sweet syrup called halek and combine it with walnuts.

Italian varieties vary from family to family, including everything from almonds, apples, and pears to chestnuts, oranges, and even hard-boiled eggs. In Greece,

Tapenade (my David) makes the most amazing Haroset. It is an adaption of Venetian Haroset. He makes his with chestnut paste and other goodies.

Tapenade (my David) makes the most amazing Haroset. It is an adaption of Venetian Haroset. He makes his with chestnut paste and other goodies.

Here in Atlanta, the odds of my locating a kosher l'Pesach chestnut paste are infinitesmally small :sad: .. but I may go with the nouveau California charoset ... in tribute to my daughter who lives there :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Just a side point on Indian Jews: I understand that the Calcutta community did indeed have Iraqi origins, and I wouldn't doubt that many of the Bombay Jews could also have Iraqi ancestry, but I do not believe this was true of the Cochin community.

The majority of Iraqi Jews that lived in India, did live in Calcutta, but there were a number of Iraqi Jews in Bombay. I worked with an Iraqi Jew from Bombay. He used to keep me abreast of where to find coconut milk in Israel.

Here in Atlanta, the odds of my locating a kosher l'Pesach chestnut paste are infinitesmally small :sad: .. but I may go with the nouveau California charoset ... in tribute to my daughter who lives there :wink:

Melissa, I will bring you some Chesnut paste when I come to Atlanta in August or September. You won't be able to use it for Passover, but you can make lots of other yummy things with it.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Does anyone have any new and exciting recipes for this Passover?

yeah, I've got a new and exciting recipe. It's one of Pam's and she didn't share it with us last year. (Shame on you, Pam but we forgive you. Doing that blog while getting all those catering orders out was pretty impressive.)

Pam's recipes in the Jewish Journal

I'm trying out some dessert recipes now (in my chametz kitchen) as a kind of dry run. I made the biscotti. and used walnut meal instead of the pecan because that's what I had on hand. My husband tried one, not knowing it was a Pesach-type dessert and commented that he likes my break-your-teeth-hard-as-a-rock biscotti better because these were more like a mandel to him. He was pretty surprised to hear that they were part of my practice runs and added that we should definitely have them this year. I'll try to locate Pesach cranberries or make some other substitution.

Thanks Pam! (If you are permitted to add them to recipe gullet, I'm sure others would be happy.)

jayne

My problem with the prep for Passover isn't the food limitations, but rather the lack of equipment with which to cook. We'll back in NY for the last 2 days and taking all our meals with friends. I have a 20 qt stock pot, an immersion blender and a hand mixer that have never been used. I'm not sure what tools she has. When I suggested to Blovie that I make a run out to my parents to raid the Pesach closet (which hasn't been touched in 11 years) he looked at me like I was nuts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My problem with the prep for Passover isn't the food limitations, but rather the lack of equipment with which to cook.  We'll back in NY for the last 2 days and taking all our meals with friends.  I have a 20 qt stock pot, an immersion blender and a hand mixer that have never been used.  I'm not sure what tools she has.  When I suggested to Blovie that I make a run out to my parents to raid the Pesach closet (which hasn't been touched in 11 years) he looked at me like I was nuts.

Might be time to raid the closet..... Otherwise it looks like you're in for 2 days of soup!! (Although the soups you've described on eGullet do sound absolutely yummy.)

I have been acquiring things since we moved from an apartment to a house but much of what I have is the inexpensive IKEA stuff or TJ Maxx stuff. Those are the things I chose to buy. On the other hand, my mother has started bringing me all kinds of things now that I've started hosting seders. I still haven't figured out what to do with it all. (I'm still hoping she'll bring over my great-grandmother's glass measuring cup. It's round at the base and then gradually reaches a triangular shape at the lip and you can pour from the corners.)

When I was single, I think I managed with 1 frying pan, a cutting board, 2 couple of bowls, and a Swiss Army knife. I still get teased about the Swiss Army knife but it worked for me, sort of. Then again, I mostly ate salads, matzoh brei, cheese/matzoh sandwiches, and yogurt in those days and rarely prepared a meal for anyone else.

jayne

yeah, I've got a new and exciting recipe. It's one of Pam's and she didn't share it with us last year. (Shame on you, Pam but we forgive you. Doing that blog while getting all those catering orders out was pretty impressive.)

:sad: woops! Sorry.
I'm trying out some dessert recipes now (in my chametz kitchen) as a kind of dry run. I made the biscotti. and used walnut meal instead of the pecan because that's what I had on hand. My husband tried one, not knowing it was a Pesach-type dessert and commented that he likes my break-your-teeth-hard-as-a-rock biscotti better because these were more like a mandel to him. He was pretty surprised to hear that they were part of my practice runs and added that we should definitely have them this year. I'll try to locate Pesach cranberries or make some other substitution.

This recipe is great for playing with - sub walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts for pecas. sub apricot or pear (or any number of dried fruits) for the cranberries. whatever you can get. You can also replace some of the cake meal with chocolate and do a chocolate/hazelnut.

Years ago, when we started selling biscotti (when we had a restaurant) we would have to explain to our older Jewish customers what it was "It's like an Italian komish/mandel". Now, we try to always have mandel in the showcase and we're often heard explaining to our non-Jewish customers "It's like a Jewish biscotti" :biggrin:

Thanks Pam! (If you are permitted to add them to recipe gullet, I'm sure others would be happy.)

jayne

you're welcome Jayne! I'm happy you like the recipe. I'm also happy you didn't find the Jerusalem Post version which somehow missed the pecan in the ingredient list! :blink::wink:It's now here.

Just ripped the Passover pages out of my current Gourmet Magazine .. *don't know which, if any, of these recipes are online .. here's what is in this issue:

*Wine Cake with Macerated Strawberries

*Veal Meatballs with Braised Vegetables

Chocolate Hazelnut Torte

*Fried Chicken with Spring Salad

Black Sea Bass with Sweet-and-Sour Orange Rhubarb Sauce

*Almond Thumbprint Cookies

Those with an asterisk, I will try this Passover ... the photographs make them all look, well, you know, incredible! :wink:

*update! the recipes for these are right here in Gourmet

Now I really think that this is really worth a try and I have a bottle of saffron threads unopened from my last trip to Trader Joe's ...SAFFRON CHICKEN BROTH WITH SPINACH MATZO BALLS

My problem with the prep for Passover isn't the food limitations, but rather the lack of equipment with which to cook.  We'll back in NY for the last 2 days and taking all our meals with friends.  I have a 20 qt stock pot, an immersion blender and a hand mixer that have never been used.  I'm not sure what tools she has.  When I suggested to Blovie that I make a run out to my parents to raid the Pesach closet (which hasn't been touched in 11 years) he looked at me like I was nuts.

Might be time to raid the closet..... Otherwise it looks like you're in for 2 days of soup!! (Although the soups you've described on eGullet do sound absolutely yummy.)

I have been acquiring things since we moved from an apartment to a house but much of what I have is the inexpensive IKEA stuff or TJ Maxx stuff. Those are the things I chose to buy. On the other hand, my mother has started bringing me all kinds of things now that I've started hosting seders. I still haven't figured out what to do with it all. (I'm still hoping she'll bring over my great-grandmother's glass measuring cup. It's round at the base and then gradually reaches a triangular shape at the lip and you can pour from the corners.)

When I was single, I think I managed with 1 frying pan, a cutting board, 2 couple of bowls, and a Swiss Army knife. I still get teased about the Swiss Army knife but it worked for me, sort of. Then again, I mostly ate salads, matzoh brei, cheese/matzoh sandwiches, and yogurt in those days and rarely prepared a meal for anyone else.

jayne

KB and I put our head's together last night to figure out what we have equipment-wise. Most exciting - her ice cream maker that's never been used (dessert has been solved). And a food processor. And we realized her mom has some equipment as well (and it's local) so we're going to check that out on saturday night. In the meantime I spoke with my mom who said what ever she owns is mine. :smile:

Of course, the most important tools are good knives. I'm thinking of buying a Global chef's knife and paring knife. Since they're all stainless, I could use them all year and kascher them for Pesach.

I have feeling I'll be buying a whole lot of the heavy duty aluminium pans.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

My problem with the prep for Passover isn't the food limitations, but rather the lack of equipment with which to cook...I have a 20 qt stock pot, an immersion blender and a hand mixer that have never been used.  I'm not sure what tools she has... 

Gee, I have a small stock pot, a dairy pot, 2 small pans, and 2 mixing bowls. And that is for EVERY Passover! When I think of having a home of my own, with a full kitchen, it makes me sigh.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Ok, I have 2 questions for Katie or anyone else who has made her Sephardic Haroset in the past....

-- How much does this recipe make? I'm having 12 people at my seder and I'm assuming that I should just make the recipe as is and that will be enough. Is that right?

-- How far in advance can I prepare it? I'm guessing that if I make it on Tuesday, it will be okay for Wednesday, right?

Forgive me -- it's only my second time hosting a seder!

-- How much does this recipe make?  I'm having 12 people at my seder and I'm assuming that I should just make the recipe as is and that will be enough.  Is that right?

-- How far in advance can I prepare it?  I'm guessing that if I make it on Tuesday, it will be okay for Wednesday, right?

First question, Cleo: I would say, because the Charoset is something which will be consumed on a matzah in the course of the seder story retelling, each person will only be using a tablespoon each (or maybe a bit more) so it is enough for 12 as you indicate. If it is really good charoset, and this is, then figure that some will be anxiously awaiting the meal itself ... should be more than enough for 12 ... 3 apples, 3 pears, and the other fruits will make a lot!

Second question, Cleo: these fruits will turn brownish from the wine and being cut and the cinnamon ... I would make it during the day of the seder itself. In that way, the flavors will be more distinctive and less mushy as it sits in the wine .. which will facilitate disintegration if left too long. :huh:

With a food processor, this doesn't take very long to make ... good luck with your second seder!

-- How much does this recipe make?  I'm having 12 people at my seder and I'm assuming that I should just make the recipe as is and that will be enough.  Is that right?

-- How far in advance can I prepare it?  I'm guessing that if I make it on Tuesday, it will be okay for Wednesday, right?

First question, Cleo: I would say, because the Charoset is something which will be consumed on a matzah in the course of the seder story retelling, each person will only be using a tablespoon each (or maybe a bit more) so it is enough for 12 as you indicate. If it is really good charoset, and this is, then figure that some will be anxiously awaiting the meal itself ... should be more than enough for 12 ... 3 apples, 3 pears, and the other fruits will make a lot!

Second question, Cleo: these fruits will turn brownish from the wine and being cut and the cinnamon ... I would make it during the day of the seder itself. In that way, the flavors will be more distinctive and less mushy as it sits in the wine .. which will facilitate disintegration if left too long. :huh:

With a food processor, this doesn't take very long to make ... good luck with your second seder!

This is all good advice. But it seems in my experience that this particular charoset turns into more of a side dish that most people would assume, so make a little extra so it should go further. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is all good advice.  But it seems in my experience that this particular charoset turns into more of a side dish that most people would assume, so make a little extra so it should go further.  :smile:

My mother always assumes that charoses is an applesauce and that it should be served in bowls to everyone ... go figure! :laugh:

We always make our haroset a day ahead. It always tastes better the second day because all of th spices and wine have soaked into the fruit. We use granny smith apples, so they don't get mushy. The pears are another story. We don't add pears to our haroset.

We always make our haroset a day ahead. It always tastes better the second day because all of th spices and wine have soaked into the fruit. We use granny smith apples, so they don't get mushy. The pears are another story. We don't add pears to our haroset.

I think this year I'm going to try use Asian pears so they don't get mushy. I think that will be very tasty. I do loves me some Asian pears. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A couple or three years ago, a Passover recipe for Chicken with bitter apricot (or orange?) preserves (or marmalade?) was included in Saveur -- it was not in the Passover section (if there was one) but was a food writer's "best" Passover chicken recipe and was included in a small square on the bottom of a page. Does anyone happen to have this recipe, or know where I could find it? I also remember that it included dried apricots and prunes...

It was a huge hit when I made it, and then last year I went with a big stuffed salmon that just didn't get the same reception.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Passover.

I looked at what I will have to do the day of the seder and I think I should be okay if I make the haroset early-ish in the day. I'm looking forward to trying it.

a Passover recipe for Chicken with bitter apricot (or orange?) preserves (or marmalade?) was included in Saveur --

Passover chicken breasts with apricot preserves: GMA though :hmmm:

Chicken recipe with apricots and apples from Kosher Cooking :huh:

Stuffed chicken breast with apricot jam

Oh, I have some old copies of Saveur Magazine and will sort through them for you ...

I'm pleased to say the menus for the final days have been set. :smile: We planned everything tonight. So now we know what needs to be bought.

Can I share with you all? My father loves Ashkenazi charoset and my mother NEVER made us the traditional Sephardic date charoset that the rest of our family eats! I LOVE charoset made with apples, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon and wine. And, we always have to make literally at least a gallon of it, EVERYONE seems to eat it by the bowlful. Gee, Daddy eats with my stepmother's children every year, because they are more observant. I should sneak him some of our charoset this year, I believe. He might have to eat it out on the front steps, but so what! You know, I am really enjoying hearing about everyone's Passover plans here, I'm not allowed to help this year and I miss it. Thank you all for sharing! :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06