• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Toast to Steven Shaw

We're all heartbroken about Steven Shaw's sudden death. You can read the tributes of others and write your own tribute here.

But if your form of tribute leans toward libations, please post your toast here. Dozens of us got our mixological start here on eG Forums; I am one of many folks who learned more here than anywhere else, from some of the brightest cocktail minds around. 

Our own bostonapothecary got the liquid tributes started over in the Drinks! topic:

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I thought I'd post a recipe today to help celebrate the life and work of Steven Shaw who created an amazing community here that I always found very inspiring. I never actually met Steven Shaw but I've met many people from the egullet community in person, which always has been a great experience, and one egulleter and his wife went on to become among my very best friends whom I see nearly every week to share a drink or a meal. I probably would be stuck working as an economist if Steven Shaw's egullet community didn't get me deeper into the culinary arts and really expand my mind.

1.5 oz. wire works gin

.75 oz. brillet pineau des charents

.75 oz. lemon juice

bar spoon of Judith's Seville orange marmalade (the gift of a beloved bar regular)

this was pretty darn tasty. without egullet would anybody really be drinking such lovely stuff as Pineau des Charentes? would the cocktail renaissance have grown so big I can drink a pretty good gin made in south Boston? I really owe a lot to Steven Shaw and everyone that makes up the egullet community. thank you all.

Last night, I raised a glass of Highland Park 18.

Who's making the next round for our departed friend? 

• Like 1

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Way back in about 2004, I picked up my very first bottle of Campari, mostly because I liked the design of the label and the colour of the contents. Having no idea how to drink it, I turned to the Internet, and happened upon a neat little site called eGullet, wherein it was suggested that the best way to drink Campari was in a Negroni... which led to me picking up my very first bottle of sweet vermouth. Thus began a lifelong love affair with Campari, sweet vermouth, Negronis, and cocktail culture in general. This bittersweet libation seems to me like the perfect thing to drink in Steven's honour and memory.

• Like 3

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

There's a little left in my last bottle of cask strength Glendullan 23yo, distilled in 1972.  This will be a good time to raise my glass to Steven and finish the bottle.  Here's to you, Fat Guy!

• Like 2

... Shel

The first thing I ever ate that Steven made was a riff on a course he had recently eaten at a NYC restaurant. (I think it was Daniel, but my brain isn't working very well the last couple of days.) The cooking and serving vessel was a teacup, and the dish was layered: the top was an egg, shirred in a steam bath; the next was truffled mashed potatoes; the bottom was a surprise of wild mushrooms. Steven whipped this all up in his tiny apartment kitchen and the results were spectacular. 

So here's my (first?) tribute cocktail to Steven. He was something of a rum fan, and though not a cocktail freak, I think he'd like the layered riff on his Boulud (?) riff. It's as dry as his wit. 

Shaw Sour

Steven 1.jpg

1 oz Plantation Three Stars white rum

1/2 oz Smith & Cross Jamaican rum

1/2 oz Lemon Hart demerara rum

3/4 oz simple syrup

3/4 oz lemon juice

egg white

Dry shake; shake again with cube ice; double strain into large goblet with Luxardo maraschino cherry at bottom. Dot with Angostura bitters. 

• Like 6

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

My post shift drink last night.

Bright Light

1.5 oz Old Forester bourbon

1 oz. Beverage Artistry El Corazon mix (blood orange, passionfruit, pomegranate)

.75 oz. fresh lemon juice

.25 oz. housemade grenadine

Shaken and strained over fresh ice. Garnished with an orange wedge. Sweet, tart, and complex. A lot like our friend. Slainte Steven. See you on the other side.

• Like 1

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pappys. Had a big belt of 20. Two actually. I am feeling a bit better today, but you never expect friends who are younger than you are to go away. 

• Like 4

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...