• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Shaw

Dave the Cook

Such shocking and surprising news. I was an early eGullet member, though I haven't been here in a very long time. But eGullet played a crucial and lasting role in my life. More importantly Steven played an important role, even though we never met in person. I was an early reader of his Fat Guy site and reviews. I gobbled them up when I lived in the NY/NJ area. He wrote a great article on Zagat (critical, of course) in Commentary Magazine back when none of this was on-line. On a whim, I emailed him to ask if he could send me a copy of the article and I was surprised an honored to get a faxed copy from him later that day. Seems so quaint now. But so much of what I know about food, restaurants, exploration, and internet commentary comes from him and I will miss him.

• Like 1

I feel lucky to have known Steven. He was a warm, wonderful guy. His generosity is why I have a job I love. He never asked for anything in return. Lots of love to Ellen and PJ.

Edited by jogoode (log)
  • Like 2

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Watching Steven on The Hot Dog Show and seeing how much fun he was having as Fat Guy sparked my interest in doing a website. I then met Steven when he invited HollyEats to be part of eGullet’s start-up. Wow, how eGullet has evolved and grown. Steven’s vision. A life too short yet so accomplished and impactful. My condolences to Ellen and PJ.

• Like 4

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I’m shocked and deeply saddened to lose Steven, who has been a great friend. eGullet is a gift that he created for everyone— especially for me.

In many ways, the inspiration for Modernist Cuisine was born on the eGullet forums. Steven was a tremendous influence on the development of the book; a sounding-board throughout the writing process.  

He was a trailblazer, a genuinely great guy, and a truly amazing person to share a meal with. He will be truly missed.  

• Like 6

Nathan

Like many others I'm stunned, shocked, and saddened by Steven's sudden passing. If you count lives in terms of impact, his was a full one but in terms of years it was far too short. My deepest condolences to his family and I'm sure that I join everyone here in celebrating his massive contribution to all our lives.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

An amazing man has been taken from us. I had the privilege of working with Steven through eGullet's maturing. His energy and work ethic were nothing short of amazing. E-mails from London that reached him in the middle of the night were answered within minutes. We met a few times in New York and spoke now and then, most recently just before his move to Quirky. He had optimism, vision and wisdom. I will miss Steven.

Deepest condolences to Ellen and PJ, and to all of Steven's family and friends.

• Like 2

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Like others I am having a hard time absorbing the news of Steve's death. I worked with him on a number of projects and though we never met in person we had many on-line chats. Without Steve and eG I would not have met my best friend, Kerry Beal, nor many other friends both virtual and real-world. Without Sreve and eG my life would be so much less than it is. Deepest sympathy to Ellen, PJ, his family and the many, many friends he made both near and far.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can only repeat what others have said: I'm stunned at this sad news and so sorry for the loss of sucha vibrant and generous person.

My condolences to Ellen, PJ and the rest of his family.

Edited by barolo (log)
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

To expand on what weinoo said, he created this entire site and concept and for that I'm deeply grateful. I lurked here for 5 years without joining and learned so much, and now that I'm a member I've learned so much more. My cocktail pursuits would be nowhere without Steve's creation, and my food adventures would be all the poorer.

I didn't know him personally or really engage with him here, but my deep condolences go out to everyone who did, especially his family.

• Like 1

It's just too sad, shocking and surreal. I am not sure what to say for the moment... RIP FatGuy and deepest sympathies go to Ellen and PJ.

With Relish,

Elie

• Like 4

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sad, terrible news.  My heart goes out to his family.  

Like others, I enjoyed Steven's smart, witty writing.  His many affectionate stories involving PJ were always special.  As a volunteer, I was in awe of his tireless efforts in support of this community.  All wrapped up in a kind, generous, and thoughtful guy.

Steven’s legacy, like his personality, will always be larger than life. We’re all lucky to have crossed paths with him, however briefly.

• Like 1

Though he is gone, he lives forever on -- in our minds, in our stories and in our hearts.

When I think of Steven, the phrase "fish pants" pops up and a smile comes unbidden.

RIP, and my deepest sympathies to Ellen and PJ.

• Like 6

Fat Guy left shortly before I joined this amazing place.  I never interacted with him, but I am very grateful for his legacy.  He will be missed.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thank you Steven. Rest in peace. I have dear friends, fond memories and some great recipes that i use everyday.

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

We have a tribute thread to Steven on my website which contains a link to this tweet that pretty much says it all.

Thank you for everything, Steven. You're a major pioneer in this still-nascent world of online food writing.

All my respect and prayers,

Don Rockwell

In many ways, I don't like these obligatory "RIP posts" that we all feel compelled to write after a tragedy such as this.

Although I never met Steven, I can say with great confidence that I will remember him, fondly, for the rest of my life, and I owe him a debt that can never be repaid.

Steven surely knew that I admired and respected him (after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), but I feel like I never really reached out to him personally, and thanked him for helping to carve this very deep, extensive trail out of nothing. With only a precious few exceptions (two of whom I'm going to write immediately after posting this), Steven had no "Steven Shaw" to draw from; the rest of us did.

How many of us wish we had written these posts last week?

• Like 3

This news is so difficult to believe that I have been wondering about it all day.  I followed his "Bento Box" lunch preps for PJ with great interest - at least a couple of years ago. 

His food prep was so imaginative for such a mundane thing as "lunch" for a child. 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett