• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Shaw

Dave the Cook

It is impossible to believe, and impossible to believe that i am typing this: Steven Shaw died yesterday morning. His passing was so sudden, and his years so few, that we -- people accustomed to the quick-fire pace of the internet -- are having trouble processing it.

So we'll have more to say in a bit. For now, it seems sufficient to point out that, though he had help (and he'd be the first to say that), without Steven, none of us would be here. 

Feel free to post your thoughts.

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I am so very saddened by the news.  It seems like the end of an era.  I have so many happy memories of meeting great people here, many of whom I am still in touch with today.  Fat Guy created more than a forum--he created an empire of friends.

• Like 5

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

The suddenness and his age make this pretty shocking. I spoke with him only briefly, when I first joined eGullet, and he was very kind and welcoming, and I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him. My thoughts are with his wife and son, and all those who were close to him.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Most of the friends I made in the past 10 years are through Steven and Jason's creation Egullet. I had the pleasure of enjoying a few meals and rides around Cleveland with him during the Heartland Gathering, he will be missed.

Tracey

• Like 2

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just can't even process it. Gone far too soon. His smile, his wit and his kindness and leadership will not be here. But the memories of them will be forever precious. Godspeed FatGuy. We're all better for having known you.

• Like 5

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I am so sorry to be visiting the eGForums for this reason, but felt compelled to express my shock and sadness in finding out about losing Steven, and more importantly my sympathy to his family and friends, loved ones, all those he touched.  Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My handle -- Varmint -- came from Steven. My expanded love of food came from Steven. My blog and food writing came from Steven. My position on the board of the Southern Foodways Alliance came from Steven. He gave me so much, but most of all, he gave me his time and wonderful friendship. He was, and always will be, one of my very best friends. I miss him dearly already. 

• Like 5

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've been unable to function properly since I got the call yesterday from his brother-in-law. Many meals, many more conversations, and thousands of hours of working side-by-side contributing to the projects, people, and communities he created, nutured, and loved: they all keep flooding my brain. I simply can't accept it. 

As everyone here has said, and as dozens more will no doubt say, we all owe Steven an unpayable debt. I certainly cannot begin to account for it, or even comprehend it. 

• Like 3

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I never had the opportunity to meet Steven in person, but he still touched my life in many ways. As others have said, and no doubt many more will say, I felt like I knew him even though our only interactions were online. My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this terrible time. This is such a tremendous loss.

• Like 2

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

This is such tragic and shocking news.  My heart goes out to PJ, Ellen and his entire family.  I cannot even begin to imagine what they're going through right now.

Steven was an exceptionally generous and talented person.  He had a profound and lasting influence on my life.  He taught me, he mentored me and he was always kind to me, even when it would have been completely reasonable for him not to have been.  To say he will be missed is a huge understatement but I'm really at a loss for words.

Rest in peace, my friend.

=R=

• Like 4

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Thank you, Steven. May you rest in piece.

• Like 1

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I was at a loss for words when I heard the news yesterday: I guess I still am. I've shared meals with Steven and worked with him on a number of eG projects: the enthusiasm and vitality he brought was contagious. The world was a better place for his presence in it, and we'll miss him. My heart goes out to Ellen, PJ, and the rest of his family.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I haven't posted here on this board in many years, but feel I must convey my sadness about his untimely passing.  If it hadn't been for this site, I would not have the friends that I have now. Through this site a small community of like-minded food lovers was created and they will remain lifetime friends,  so thank you Steven for introducing me to my best friends. He was far too young. Many condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 3

I was deeply saddened to hear about Steven Shaw this morning. I made a number of friends and met many great folks through the egullet community. I am grateful to have enjoyed the experience here and can only hope that I am able to contribute to the online food community (and beyond) in a such a positive way. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Sincerely,

Robert Alexander

@robmalexander

• Like 2

It is very sad to hear a familiar face, though I never met him and joined this community after he moved on to Quirky, disappearing for good. 

I am lucky and grateful to be dialy enjoying this great community he created, of course my thoughts go to his family and close ones.

• Like 1

Climbing out of the woodwork after many years to express my condolences to his friends and family. I owe eGullet and Steven a great deal for the things he enabled me to learn and the people he enabled me to meet. Rest in peace.

• Like 2

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

He was the reason I found my way to this wonderful place.  I will always be in his debt  for that.  May his family take comfort in all the kind

comments that will appear here.

• Like 1

Shock, numbness and disbelief!

I am so very sorry.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My condolences to his family and huge circle of friends, associates and mentees.  I know he will be greatly missed.  

• Like 1

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.