• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime Shortage Affects Cocktail Bars, Restaurants...and You

weinoo

1 hour ago, choux said:

Anyone else noticing a shortage? No limes at Costco for the past month, and I got a lemon in my pho. Any explinations out there? I haven't checked the grocery store lately to see the stocks there.

From what country are your limes usually sourced?  The limes here have typically been from the US, but after a couple weeks of worse than shortage -- eg. no limes at all -- the US limes have been replaced by Mexican:  big, beautiful, juicy...but much more expensive.  Works for me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not a shortage but a price increase from $0.10 - $0.15 to $0.33 - $0.50 per lime at my local FreshCo.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I found an unusual use for limes (and lemons too( recently.

I am a bit obsessive about my stainless steel sink and like to see it gleam.

I discovered that after I clean my sink thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend or the like if I take the used half of a lemon or lime and scrub the surface all around that I end up with a sink that really shines!  Now I save all those used rinds!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

I found an unusual use for limes (and lemons too( recently.

I am a bit obsessive about my stainless steel sink and like to see it gleam.

I discovered that after I clean my sink thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend or the like if I take the used half of a lemon or lime and scrub the surface all around that I end up with a sink that really shines!  Now I save all those used rinds!

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

HC