• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

weinoo

Lime Shortage Affects Cocktail Bars, Restaurants...and You

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, choux said:

Anyone else noticing a shortage? No limes at Costco for the past month, and I got a lemon in my pho. Any explinations out there? I haven't checked the grocery store lately to see the stocks there.

From what country are your limes usually sourced?  The limes here have typically been from the US, but after a couple weeks of worse than shortage -- eg. no limes at all -- the US limes have been replaced by Mexican:  big, beautiful, juicy...but much more expensive.  Works for me.

Not a shortage but a price increase from $0.10 - $0.15 to $0.33 - $0.50 per lime at my local FreshCo.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I make salsa on a regular basis and limes are a critical ingredient. I paid 50 cents each for moderate sized limes yesterday, up from 33 cents each a week earlier.

HC

I found an unusual use for limes (and lemons too( recently.

I am a bit obsessive about my stainless steel sink and like to see it gleam.

I discovered that after I clean my sink thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend or the like if I take the used half of a lemon or lime and scrub the surface all around that I end up with a sink that really shines!  Now I save all those used rinds!

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

I found an unusual use for limes (and lemons too( recently.

I am a bit obsessive about my stainless steel sink and like to see it gleam.

I discovered that after I clean my sink thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend or the like if I take the used half of a lemon or lime and scrub the surface all around that I end up with a sink that really shines!  Now I save all those used rinds!

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

HC