• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime Shortage Affects Cocktail Bars, Restaurants...and You

weinoo

Only??? 

Limes had been going up almost every time I went to the store.  Thankfully these were same price as last time but they looked much better.  Enjoying one in a zombie at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Haven't noticed any change in prices in the UK. Limes are 30p each in the supermarket or about 7 for £1 at the market.

Are yours from Mexico? Damn, 7 for a quid sounds like a steal...

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly Whole Foods is being very un-Whole Paycheck and remains the cheapest place to get limes, cheaper even than the suburban ethnic joints. Hanging strong at 69 cents each. I suspect they were always that expensive, and they just haven't changed. Super H mart, on the other hand, used to have them for 12.5 cents each :(

We actually paid $1.50 each for four limes at a supermarket the other day (what can I say? we like daiquiris and margaritas and Pegu Clubs and and and . . . ). That store is still at 2/$3; a similar establishment a mile or so away has them at (the now seemingly reasonable price of) 79 cents. 

All from Mexico. My guess is that a few smart (or lucky) produce buyers locked in prices before the crisis, and now some producers or distributors are getting squeezed.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I decided it was time to make falernum the other day.  Got limes 5 for $2 (needed 10 for the recipe).  After removing the zest - juiced and froze the juice in a Tavoli silicone ice cube tray.  

Last night limes were still a $1.50 -- haven't gone up in a while -- but they were marble sized.  OK, an exageration, they were the size of ping pong balls.  Very pretty though.

£1 from the market this morning (US$0.24 each). The guy had no idea where they were from but they look just the same as the Brazilian ones in the supermarket.

002 (640x480).jpg

I bought these from a cockney market stall holder; fascinating to see him speaking Urdu with the other market workers, in a cockney accent. :huh:

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 3

At least they are advertised as "Juicy"! One of my $1.49 limes yielded less than 1/2 ounce juice from the whole thing. Am off maragaritas for now.

Edited by choux (log)

The Mrs. got limes at Bottom Dollar the other day for $0.50 each.

Jo, they have Bottom Dollar stores in NJ.  Is there one near you?

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

At least they are advertised as "Juicy"! One of my $1.49 limes yielded less than 1/2 ounce juice from the whole thing. Am off maragaritas for now.

Do you roll them, then microwave?  Works for me every time.  Even with really old dried up lemons and limes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Mrs. got limes at Bottom Dollar the other day for $0.50 each.

Jo, they have Bottom Dollar stores in NJ.  Is there one near you?

Bottom Dollar is not a store I've heard of.  Unfortunately I am without a vehicle and there is but one limemonger within walking distance.  I dread what the price will be this week.

I hit our local Mexican Grocery store yesterday. $1.99/lb. I got 4 and they came to a dollar. They're really small, and I haven't juiced them yet, but much cheaper than a dollar each in the large chain grocery store.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Some good news:

This week's sharp move lower comes amid increased supply from Mexico, where the majority of fruit consumed in the U.S. originates, experts said. Falling demand has also contributed to the recent easing.

Last week, Vision Import Group was selling limes for $60 to $70 for a 40-lb. box, said Raul Millan, the company's executive vice president. On Friday, prices averaged $40.

Full article here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased the EcoJeannie stainless lemon squeezer (works perfectly on limes too).  Best squeezer out there.  I replaced an older enameled model that was losing its finish.  It also did a poor job of squeezing since most of the juice squirted out the sides and onto the counter.

Edited by lindag (log)

Saw the usual tiny key limes for sale at 89 cents each.

Then two bins over they were selling regular limes that looked to be the same size as the key limes for 79 cents each. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver