• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime Shortage Affects Cocktail Bars, Restaurants...and You

weinoo

How am I supposed to make my lemon curd? I always use a bit of lime juice. (From the Sherry Yard recipe, it's the best.) Now imagine it spread on matzah. Really quite good, especially with some strawberries. But it needs the limes. Oh dear. Doctor! She put the lime in the coconut she drank them both up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxC3M-Yngs

• Like 2

This is one of those times when I'm soooo glad I live in a lime-producing country.  They're 20 for $1 at the mercados right now, which is a bit steep but understandable given the volcanic activity we've been having lately.  (In non-ash seasons they're 30-40 for $1.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This is one of those times when I'm soooo glad I live in a lime-producing country.  They're 20 for $1 at the mercados right now, which is a bit steep but understandable given the volcanic activity we've been having lately.  (In non-ash seasons they're 30-40 for $1.)

Ahem, looking to export?

• Like 1

This is one of those times when I'm soooo glad I live in a lime-producing country. They're 20 for $1 at the mercados right now, which is a bit steep but understandable given the volcanic activity we've been having lately. (In non-ash seasons they're 30-40 for $1.)

Wow. At the risk of going off on a tangent, how does that price (20/$1 or even 30-40/$1) compare with the cost of other fruit sold there, say, lemons? What other citrus are commercially farmed there?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wow. At the risk of going off on a tangent, how does that price (20/$1 or even 30-40/$1) compare with the cost of other fruit sold there, say, lemons? What other citrus are commercially farmed there?

And just to add... Do they even grow lemons in Ecuador?  I never see them in Mexico. 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I live in a lime producing country too.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You know lime prices are bad when they start serving lemon wedges at you local Pho joint.  And H mart has them at 79 cents a piece.  Trader Joe is still holding strong with 2.49 for a bag of 8.

I am in Washington DC area BTW.

You know lime prices are bad when they start serving lemon wedges at you local Pho joint.  And H mart has them at 79 cents a piece.  Trader Joe is still holding strong with 2.49 for a bag of 8.

I am in Washington DC area BTW.

Man, I got lemons in my pho too! (Over at Eden Center, where they really shouldn't be cutting such corners!). Also, which TJ's is that?

Whole Foods is still holding at 69 cents for pretty decent limes, or $3.99 for a bag of 8 organic yet tiny ones.

If the export licences for fresh fruit weren't both prohibitively expensive and torturous to obtain, I would definitely be in the market as an exporter.

Just about everything citrus grows here, even some of the really obscure ones (citrons, chinottos, calmanasi, mandaquats, or bergamots, anyone?  They're all in the market at the moment, and some of them are also in my marmalade pot with this season's quince).  Right now Bearss Lemons are 10-12 for $1, Meyers are 5-8 for $1, and the big Malfi ones are 3-4 for $1 or free off of my friend's tree if I give him a bottle of the limoncello I use them for.  The only thing that seems to be rare (although not by any means unavailable - you just have to be diligent in asking and searching) are red grapefruits.

And just to add... Do they even grow lemons in Ecuador?  I never see them in Mexico. 

The Bearss lemon tree in my front yard says "sí!"  They're peculiar to my valley, apparently - friends in other cities are amazed by what I can find in the mercado and bemoan the lack in their areas.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

There were no limes at Trader Joe's on 6th Avenue the other day, not even for ready money. And the guy at the fruit stand sort of went ballistic when I asked him if he had any limes. ("Nobody has any limes!! Nobody! Do you know how much a box of limes costs now??!?!") I commiserated. And I bought a lot of lemons.

image.jpg

Today at Whole Foods.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Man, I got lemons in my pho too! (Over at Eden Center, where they really shouldn't be cutting such corners!). Also, which TJ's is that?

Whole Foods is still holding at 69 cents for pretty decent limes, or $3.99 for a bag of 8 organic yet tiny ones.

TJ in Clarendon few days ago.  Should have bought a lot since lime juice can be frozen very nicely in ice cube trays.  Oh well, will prepare myself for scurvy now.

TJ in Clarendon few days ago.  Should have bought a lot since lime juice can be frozen very nicely in ice cube trays.  Oh well, will prepare myself for scurvy now.

Clarendon you say...I shuffle back and forth between Logan Circle and McLean....perhaps I will check out the new 14th and U TJs, then if no luck the West End TJs, then if not there, Clarendon...and if not there, Tysons....

Were they decent limes, or pathetic small ones? I've noticed in the past the TJ's bagged limes were kind of dinky. 

Sigh....not so long they were 8 for a buck at Super H Mart...

I was so relieved that limes here were still only $1.50, I stocked up this afternoon.  They were nice looking, if rather small.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou