• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

HeatherAvila

3D chocolate molds: getting a clean seam

9 posts in this topic

Anyone have ideas on how to get a clean edge on a two-part 3D hollow chocolate mold (it's an egg)? I've tried:

- clipping the two mold halves together to dry while sealed

- letting two mold halved dry separately then heating the edges, either with a heat gun or by putting them on a warmed half-sheet pan

No matter what I do, the edges are not seamless.

Help!

Thanks,

Heather

I work with chocolate and molds every day, right now I'm winding down my Easter bunny/egg production.

Here are a few ideas on molds in general:

-I loathe, hate, detest, want to do terrible things to the people who make/sell molds where you have to "glue" or melt the halves together again.  It's a cheap cop-out, it's sloppy, and the joint is weak and prone to cracking or failing once packaged.  Ironically enough, Callebaut sells these molds, and I have a pictorial on another website showing how I band-saw the mold in half, cut some bottoms into it, and drill some locating holes into it to make it into a practical, two piece, clip together mold.  I've done this with about half a dozen molds now.

-Not much of a fan with the cheap thermo-formed molds, but they do work well for the first dozen or so times until the plastic cracks and fatigues.  Bear in mind that you will always get a rougher seam with these, because the plastic is not capable of bending sharp 90 degree or even sharper angles--this is usually where the the side of the mold meets the lip of the mold, and the effect is doubled when both sides of the mold are clipped together.

-Even with the best rigid molds you will still get  "flash" or minute feather edges of chocolate leaking out of the seam, regardless of how many clips you use.  This is easily trimmed off with a sharp, cold knife.

Hi Kerry,

Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the advice; will try - 

Heather

I've used some of the Parvoni moulds (they are sexy, such a shame they don't come in poly c).  I trim off the edges and clip them as a spinning mould as suggested.  I use bulldog clips rather than my spinning mould clips to try and keep the plastic as undamaged as I can.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

• Similar Content

• By curls
      Looking for your opinions and experiences... I am planning to put some wire shelving in my chocolate & confections kitchen. The kitchen has a concrete floor. This shelving will hold ingredients, colored cocoa butters, and packaging. Wondering if I should get casters for this shelving... what are your thoughts on this oh so important question?  ;-)
    • By DianaB
      I've used Valrhona Ivoire white chocolate as a base for various ganache recipes for some time after failing to create a good ganache with other white chocolate including Callebaut, a brand I otherwise like.  Valrhona is expensive compared to other brands available here in England but Vente Privée offers it at a good discount several times each year.  There is a Valrhona sale this week: 
      https://secure.uk.vente-privee.com/ns/en-gb/operation/57934/classic/3642874/catalog

That link is to the English site but I know the company operates in other countries. You need to become a member to buy from the site, not sure why but it is free and you aren't obliged to buy anything.  

I've already placed an order, popular products sell out fast.  Since ordering I have read various posts in the Pastry and Baking thread that have left me wondering if I should be using Opalys as my white chocolate rather than Ivoire.

Do any of you have experience of both variants of Valrhona's white chocolate?  I would be grateful for any advice you can provide on using them in baking or chocolate making.
    • By JohnT
      To all the chocolate lovers, manufactures and those experimenting with chocolate - have a happy day! So, to celebrate the day I have an order for a batch of Chocolate Peppermint Crisp Tarts for one of my retail outlets. What are you doing to celebrate the day?
    • By curls
      I have been looking for self-sealing plastic bags like Soma uses for chocolate bars. Interested in a rectangle vs. the squares Soma is using. Have not found anything at Gleurp or Nashville Wraps (but I may be using the wrong search terms).  Anyone know where to find these bags (in a variety of sizes) that have a flap with a bit of adhesive on the end for sealing the package?

Any other chocolate bar packaging ideas that don't require going custom?

• By pastrygirl
      Do you ever end up with ganache that reminds you of extra-heavy mayo?  I was winging it today, testing batches that set up ok but grainy, then weirldy flexible. The 60% i usually use is 39% cocoa butter, but in this batch I used 72%, which is 45% fat.  I also made some other changes but was trying to keep a similar ratio of liquid to chocolate.  The 72% ganache is far thicker than the 60% ever is - it probably needs more cream or a splash of booze, right?  Arg, I should know this!

I got annoyed and left the slab out to do whatever it will overnight - cross your fingers that it is either use-able or save-able tomorrow!