• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for small quantities of Reflectix?

paulraphael

Or the equivalent?

I'm looking for enough to cover some small sous vide containers. It mostly seems to be sold in bulk for insulating an attic.

Also curious if anyone has found particular models of cooler (in the 20-30 quart range) to be especially good for modification as a cooking container.

Notes from the underbelly

There's a 2 foot by 10 foot roll available from Amazon. The smallest roll I've seen in Lowe's/Home Depot type places (and the one I bought) is 25 feet. You do use a surprising amount if you insulate all 6 sides - about 8 feet for a 12x18 Cambro. So depending on your values for  "some" and "small" that 25 foot roll could go pretty fast.

Bubble wrap or a Ziploc bag(s) that's inflated about an inch thick works fine for an insulating cover.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Paul,

I bought the 16in x 25ft roll from Homedepot, about $15

I would offer to give you some if you visited me here in NJ, but it would cost more than that in bridge tolls!

I show my use of a 30 quart Coleman Excursion cooler towards the end of a video I made about my Anova configurations. 

Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrYNEeH03I