• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

22D8A68C-17BD-48FC-BEF9-69E54FFF2810.thumb.jpeg.e9db121b6eb5a33088edfb4baa9a5a9a.jpeg

Paul Young’s Classic Brownies. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I had a meeting to go to that featured

@Anna N 's  snacks

i bet the attendance is very high.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would call a meeting...if it meant those kinds of snacks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

"  The Media is the Message "

No No No

The Meeting is the Snacks

you betcha

• Haha 2

A bit early this week. I was sure that this was going to be a big fail and I would have to repeat it tomorrow. I wanted to make shortbread but was fairly certain that if I made it traditionally such as petticoat tails or bars I would end up with cookie crumbs and not much else as I tried to cut them apart. 

ButcI was sure I had made this lot some shortbread previously. Sure enough I did. But I made cookies. How sensible. But I was still on my failure path so did not pull back and say that all this could wait until tomorrow!  

B2043262-4FF0-414B-9CD8-F45F5115A0A9.thumb.jpeg.509686aba186ca1919cbf23b1fba3528.jpeg

090479F3-B09D-435A-8969-0837ABACA1BA.thumb.jpeg.41bf9fc76c2c7b8eab4a1eed639b8df3.jpeg

As you can see some are more brown than others. I was also trying to make use of two ovens today to cut down on the amount of time needed. I was using the Cuisinart steam oven along with the Breville smart oven. This posed more challenges than I had expected. I could not get them in synch so that the cookies were ready at the same time. 

43F695A8-77CA-4740-A8D0-05CD2AD5F053.thumb.jpeg.1ede3a31e5ac4fc2b3444e4dae6d8d77.jpeg

The extreme spreading of one cookie on the tray suggest to me that the mixing was not adequate. But I’m open to other suggestions.

I will let you know if any of the cookies get rejected. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/4/2019 at 4:43 AM, rotuts said:

"  The Media is the Message "

No No No

The Meeting is the Snacks

you betcha

At one point in my work life, each of our laboratory group meetings had 3 people assigned - one person was assigned "Research," and presented their own research project, a second person was assigned "Journal" and presented a recent relevant scientific publication and a third person was assigned "Trophic Factors"  aka snacks.  I think those titles make clear what drew us to those meetings 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4