• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Happy to bring back some good memories. These were coated with a mixture of walnuts and almonds. I am not happy with the dough for these and will be looking around for a better recipe. This one is a beast in terms of keeping it together and shaping the cookies to have an indentation.

I have my grandmother's recipe. If I can find it without unpacking the boxes I've already packed for the move, I'll post it. Otherwise, it may be a week or so before I can get to it. May not be any different or any better than what you're using but you'll be able to tell how it compares to the recipe you used. I don't remember having trouble with them staying together but it's been a while since I made them.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have my grandmother's recipe.

I am happy to wait. Thank you.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/23/2019 at 5:23 AM, Anna N said:

AAF31364-F0E9-49DB-8D32-A38F0A6FD7DE.thumb.jpeg.12ed7f84c9f199cee1c488608a8dcdc5.jpeg

Apricot and raspberry thumbprints. 

For a Game of Thrones viewing party, I wanted to make cookies with a rose jam the hostess had brought back for me from a trip to Poland.   I made Split Second Cookies, which to me were an even easier version of thumbprints.  I did rose jam and apricot jam versions.  

IMG_7708.JPG

• Like 8

On 4/23/2019 at 9:46 PM, Anna N said:

I am happy to wait. Thank you.

Found it, it wasn't packed yet. I have a bunch of cookie recipe books that belonged to my mom. I keep the hand-written recipes of hers and my grandmother's tucked in one of them. It was in a stack of books in my bedroom that hadn't been packed yet. May not be any different than the one you used but this is it...

1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5748DACE-6FBC-4249-801E-3C0D2992430C.thumb.jpeg.fcdf63bdde2c6dd20bea300dc49efa40.jpeg

79E5B1FC-9FC1-4E7E-8254-604B30EDF5C9.thumb.jpeg.2330f52b42fae9c775c879fd9d0d052c.jpeg

Katherine Hepburn‘s brownies with chocolate chunks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I am pretty sure those are illegal in at least a dozen states. And may constitute a mortal sin.

(Who am I kiddin'? We Methodists don't have mortal sin. Gimme a brownie, please!)

• Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

C35E661A-D313-4FCF-B81E-6E838CD18AA3.thumb.jpeg.f5f925c827a081d8d3c372020620e9d5.jpeg

Snickerdoodles. Very disappointed that there are no crinkles. I have never figured out the secret to getting crinkly-topped cookies.  I suspect, however, not a single complaint will reach me about the missing crinkles.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, Anna N said:

Very disappointed that there are no crinkles.

Be careful what you wish for.

E0D1D30A-BEE9-425A-AD09-79CC293742CD.thumb.jpeg.00c0b5eb342b194a7c0a03aec75362b4.jpeg

Butterscotch cookies. If all you ask of a cookie is that it be a good hit of sugar these will fill the bill.  What they lack in excitement they make up for in ease of execution and very plain ingredients.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

696B823F-5486-4AE0-B593-2EB6D0221CD0.thumb.jpeg.e3d4cad73cb9556c08284e444d523866.jpeg

Not very photogenic, but oh so good.  Ginger snaps with crystallized ginger.  My house will smell so good for days.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I love ginger snaps.  I just got my last order of ginger bits from Penzey's via my niece in Syracuse.  Last because she and her husband are moving back to Canada in June and I doubt I will pay the shipping charges to get more.  Anyone know of a good Canadian source for the bits?

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I love ginger snaps.  I just got my last order of ginger bits from Penzey's via my niece in Syracuse.  Last because she and her husband are moving back to Canada in June and I doubt I will pay the shipping charges to get more.  Anyone know of a good Canadian source for the bits?

Our local bulk food store, The Main Ingredient, carries ginger bits and I quite like them.  I could ask about their provenance if you like.   And where Ken, the store owner, gets them.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:34 PM, Darienne said:

Our local bulk food store, The Main Ingredient, carries ginger bits and I quite like them.  I could ask about their provenance if you like.   And where Ken, the store owner, gets them.

Thank you but I will check around our stores first.  Just because I have never seen them doesn't mean they aren't around.  If I can't find them I'll let you know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you but I will check around our stores first.  Just because I have never seen them doesn't mean they aren't around.  If I can't find them I'll let you know.

The ginger bits are from the Philippines.  Sorry.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

The ginger bits are from the Philippines.  Sorry.  

If I find any they may be too.  What's wrong with ginger bits from the Philippines?

On 5/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, ElsieD said:

If I find any they may be too.  What's wrong with ginger bits from the Philippines?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with ginger bits from the Phillipines.  I said "sorry' because the bits were not from Penzey's...that's all.  

In fact, the store owner...who has been a friend for over 40 years now...without being asked did some checking on my question:  Penzey's crystal ginger bits come from Australia and costs $36.95 $CDN  a pound (without postage, etc) while his ginger bits from the Phillipines cost $6.19 $CDN a pound.   

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

Absolutely nothing is wrong with ginger bits from the Phillipines.  I said "sorry' because the bits were not from Penzey's...that's all.  

In fact, the store owner...who has been a friend for over 40 years now...without being asked did some checking on my question:  Penzey's crystal ginger bits come from Australia and costs $36.95 $CDN  a pound (without postage, etc) while his ginger bits from the Phillipines cost $6.19 $CDN a pound.   

That's really interesting.  When (if) I find them, it will be interesting to see the origin and price.  That's quite a difference.  I'd be happy enough with ones from the Philippines.  Thank you.

• Like 1

@Anna N I don’t know if you’re still looking for ideas for snacks, but - my husband has to attend a lot of meetings where people come in from across the country (we live in N Central TX) - he always says, “If you feel like making something, that’d be great - if you don’t, that’s Okay, too ... “ ... well, of course I’m going to make something- put it to me that way - gah! 😉

I have made everything from tarts to buttermilk pound cake - brownies - Hungarian Nut Loaf - fudge - fat cookies (copycat levain cookies) - bar cookies, rocky road candy, rocky road brownies, muffins etc and on ... funny thing is - one of the things that get most get requested is homemade Rice Krispy Treats (I use extra marshmallow cream and extra marshmallows and and I use vanilla) and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats ... sort of pedestrian, I know but takes a lot of people back “home” - back to childhood, etc ... 

And Thomas Keller’s coffee cake - I have made it with creme fraiche and subbed sour cream for cf when I’ve been out (the sour cream version won, oddly) - absolutely nothing better and I have made and eaten a lot of coffee cakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

53 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

... funny thing is - one of the things that get most get requested is homemade Rice Krispy Treats (I use extra marshmallow cream and extra marshmallows and and I use vanilla) and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats ... sort of pedestrian, I know but takes a lot of people back “home” - back to childhood, etc ... 

My best Rice Krispy Treats had a large pinch of cayenne in it.  Kiddie treats for all growned-ups.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

My best Rice Krispy Treats had a large pinch of cayenne in it.  Kiddie treats for all growned-ups.

Cayenne?! Hmmm 😀 I will have to give that a try in one of my next batches - thanks for the tip! ... 

A few years ago I turned my son on to cookie butter so I will oft sub cookie butter for Peanut Butter- that is his fave version, of course ... 

Oh - Kolaches!!! That was another big winner with the meeting crowd - I did a variety of fillings - apricot - cream cheese - apricot / cream cheese - prune - cherry - cherry / cream cheese - etc ... 

And the Savoy Scones - not like a typical American scone at all -

these were good! - oh these are so delicious - so light - soft - absolutely heavenly. Haven’t made them in a while - I used figs instead of sultanas - the recipe is at fairmontmoments.com - I’ve made full recipe (makes a fair amount) and halved it no problem) ... the double egg wash absolutely makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

23 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

Cayenne?! Hmmm 😀 I will have to give that a try in one of my next batches - thanks for the tip! ... 

A few years ago I turned my son on to cookie butter so I will oft sub cookie butter for Peanut Butter- that is his fave version, of course ... 

Oh - Kolaches!!! That was another big winner with the meeting crowd - I did a variety of fillings - apricot - cream cheese - apricot / cream cheese - prune - cherry - cherry / cream cheese - etc ... 

And the Savoy Scones - not like a typical American scone at all -

these were good! - oh these are so delicious - so light - soft - absolutely heavenly. Haven’t made them in a while - I used figs instead of sultanas - the recipe is at fairmontmoments.com - I’ve made full recipe (makes a fair amount) and halved it no problem) ... the double egg wash absolutely makes a huge difference.

Is the link supposed to go to the recipe? 

1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

Wow!  Never heard of cookie butter before.  A whole new vista opens up.  Thanks, CatIsHungry.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for posting that @ElsieD - that is the brand I prefer - although I hear many wonderful things about TJ’s brand of cookie butter. 

Cookie butter is a wonderful thing - sub it anywhere you would use Peanut Butter or nut butter - (or - since I introduced my mother-in-law to it - do as she does and eat it straight up — with a spoon 😉 ) ... 

• Like 3