• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

image.jpeg

Amy's Super Cookies from Kim Shook's on-line cookbook. I made a half batch. Had no chocolate suitable for grating so threw some semi sweet chocolate chips into the food processor.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Lemon snaps from Nancy Bagget's International Cookie Cookbook but made in the Thermomix.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Crispy chocolate chip cookies from Fine Cooking. I think the chewy kind are better!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Reposting this week's offerings:

Peanut butter cookies made in the Thermomix.  Not sure if these will even make it into the building. Allergies etc. 

image.jpeg

Brownies also made in the Thermomix as back up.  (Both disappeared in record time.)

M

Edited by Anna N
Double posting of photo. (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

So today I made chocolate crinkle cookies which are covered in icing sugar before being baked. However the icing sugar left them with a sticky/gummy feel. As advised in another topic where I asked for help with this issue I tossed them in more icing sugar after they were baked and quite cold.  This somewhat mitigated the problem but the cookies no longer looked like crinkled cookies.  Ah well I bet they disappear quickly anyway. (I suspect the enthusiasm with which these treats are greeted has much more to do with nobody home baking anymore as with my skills as a baker.)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I suspect the enthusiasm with which these treats are greeted has much more to do with nobody home baking anymore as with my skills as a baker.

I very much suspect that is not that case at all. I've seen absolutely nothing you've posted that suggests any deficiency in your skills as a baker.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks for your kind comment, Tri2Cook.   I volunteered to supply snacks for these meetings to overcome my fear of the whole baking thing.  While I am never likely to attempt complicated cakes or other pastries the experience I have gained  has been well worth the effort.  Some weeks from energy (mine!) and time constraints all they get are brownies.   Other weeks something a little more challenging.  I have a few recipes that I am looking forward to attempting in the new year.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, YWalker said:

Did you roll them in granulated sugar before rolling them in powdered sugar?

I tried it both with and without. Made no difference. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.23b49654723a857e88e1b14cf5aa6

Simple shortbread cookies from a Robin Hood flour recipe. Not so successful was a recipe for short bread from the book Pure Dessert. Lots of tasty crumbs though. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Simple shortbread cookies from a Robin Hood flour recipe. Not so successful was a recipe for short bread from the book Pure Dessert. Lots of tasty crumbs though. 

Ask Darienne for her sister's recipe for brown sugar shortbread.  Simple and really delicious.  

You're welcome to the recipe...however...I don't have a sister or a brother.   Tobe is a friend and it's her Mother's recipe.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 minutes ago, Darienne said:

You're welcome to the recipe...however...I don't have a sister or a brother.   Tobe is a friend and it's her Mother's recipe.

Thank you but I am a bit of a traditionalist where shortbread is concerned. And apparently so were the people it was intended for.  I got unanimous thumbs up on this one. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.f8e07cec3984b3a823cf734

Crispy ginger snaps made with minced crystallized ginger.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.jpeg.42dd3823a81e79f829bcaa9

Fat, rustic chocolate chip cookies. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

It's hard to beat good chocolate chip cookies, and not-good chocolate chip cookies are rare unless they came from the grocery store.  Brava, Anna.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I usually bake my own choc chip cookies even though it's mostly from a mix (my favorite is KAF's) but I recently had a taste for them and didn't have any mix on hand and didn't feel like making them up from scratch so I bought some from my grocer's in-store bakery.  I was quite disappointed because they had a taste of something I couldn't put my finger on.  A friend, who is an accomplished cook, told me what I was tasting was most likely the shortening they used. 

Anyway, last week another friend brought some store bought cookies to a meeting and said she got them from Albertson's.  Well, these cookies didn't have that odd flavor. 

On 12/23/2015 at 7:20 PM, Darienne said:

Ah, sorry, I thought it was your sister's recipe.  Tobe is a good friend and it's a good recipe!  

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.42dd3823a81e79f829bcaa9

Fat, rustic chocolate chip cookies. 

Anna, I saw these yesterday and thought how good they looked.

Last night I dreamed about them.  Another person (I can't remember who) and I were eating the hell out of these.  All I could think about is that they were for someone else's meeting, but we didn't care.  They were so good we just kept eating.  So, I'm sorry that there were none left for their intended purpose lol.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

It's hard to beat good chocolate chip cookies, and not-good chocolate chip cookies are rare unless they came from the grocery store.  Brava, Anna.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I usually bake my own choc chip cookies even though it's mostly from a mix (my favorite is KAF's) but I recently had a taste for them and didn't have any mix on hand and didn't feel like making them up from scratch so I bought some from my grocer's in-store bakery.  I was quite disappointed because they had a taste of something I couldn't put my finger on.  A friend, who is an accomplished cook, told me what I was tasting was most likely the shortening they used. 

Anyway, last week another friend brought some store bought cookies to a meeting and said she got them from Albertson's.  Well, these cookies didn't have that odd flavor. 

Sorry, I typed without thinking of in-store bakeries! I had in mind the mass-produced stuff to be found in sealed bags on grocery store shelves, although their continued existence suggests that some people like them. :) At any rate, Anna's cookies look wonderful.  I wish I'd been that friend in Shelby's dream, chowing down on those cookies with her.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well thank you!  Dream cookies!  And imaginary friends.  These cookies must have been magical because the people who actually ate them believed they were made with salted chocolate and could not be convinced otherwise!  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Im a very big fan of Plump cookies.

the CCC's above look like they would fill the bill nicely

I agree. I'm guessing they're not the Toll House recipe as that recipe leaves the cookies looking more flat or "gaunt", if you will.

Her cookies made me think of Alton Brown's "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" episode of Good Eats where he explains the difference ingredients make between the Thin, the Puffy and the Chewy versions of chocolate chip cookies. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver