• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Anna N

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

What sort of coconut did you use?  Sweetened flaked? Something else?

Sorry.  It was sweetened flaked.

Just got word back from the gang that they were delicious.   I asked if they were not sick of coconut cookies since this was the third week in a row. They said no they were not sick of them because they were all different. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My grandma raised me through the end of the war and the postwar years. Her favourite  chocolate  bar was Cadbury’s Brazil nut bar. For Mothering Sunday and for her birthday I would save up my allowance and buy one of these for her. I am pretty sure I got to eat most of each one!  Brazil nuts have been in short supply for years but recently I received a gift of some which I stuck into my freezer. Last night I was thinking about Brazil nuts and my grandmother and cookie making.  I didn’t think that there would be a recipe for a cookie that included both milk chocolate and Brazil nuts. It occurred to me there might be such a thing as a universal cookie recipe where you could choose your own inclusions. The ones I found didn’t appeal much so I simply took a chocolate chip cookie recipe and modified it to my own taste. These are not bad at all.  Of course they have decent chocolate in them, not chocolate chips, and I think that makes a huge difference.

47044640-8496-4DA0-81C7-445EF62AB23B.thumb.jpeg.3edf22faba1d6f3b834e74cec8796c08.jpeg

They look anaemic in the photograph but not in reality. I tried a fair bit of manoeuvring around the light to improve the colour but with little luck. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

I'm a huge fan of muffins.  You can bake them in batches, easily mix and match flavors, and make them any size!  Chocolate chip, banana, cranberry, or blueberry are my favorites.  

22 minutes ago, Scones&Rain said:

I'm a huge fan of muffins.  You can bake them in batches, easily mix and match flavors, and make them any size!  Chocolate chip, banana, cranberry, or blueberry are my favorites.  

Sorry but muffins just don’t work for this crowd. 

• Sad 1