• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

On 2/17/2015 at 5:59 PM, Tri2Cook said:

I didn't have too much trouble with them crumbling, just enough for it to be mildly annoying. The problem I did have is going to get me in a lot of trouble with the masses though... I just didn't particularly love them. I didn't hate them, just didn't like them enough to wrestle with them again.

I had nothing but trouble with the recipe. Tried it several times. In the end, I decided that I just don't like these cookies, either. Glad to know that I'm not alone.  

9 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

I had nothing but trouble with the recipe. Tried it several times. In the end, I decided that I just don't like these cookies, either. Glad to know that I'm not alone.  

Had the worst time figuring out what this related to!   This concerns Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Had the worst time figuring out what this related to!   This concerns Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies.  

Haha! Sorry about that, I didn't realize the lack of reference until just now.  O.o

On 2/24/2016 at 5:10 PM, ElsieD said:

I love ginger cookies.  I went to the Style at Home website and they have a number of different recipes.  Which one did you use?

This is a link to the gingerbread cookies recommended by @Anna N and pictured above and up thread: http://m.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-old-time-gingersnaps/a/28351

Add extra ginger if the spirit moves you.  Next time, I'll add some freshly grated ginger. We like our gingersnaps to have a little "zing" and these did not disappoint 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix Typo (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

image.jpeg

It's been a while but today I got back on my horse (OK a pony) and made a batch of Katherine Hepburn brownies. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

All these beautiful cookie pictures made me think of these little savory black olive shortbread cookies (Sablé aux Olives Noires) by Pierre Herme that I made a while back. They are extremely delicate so transporting them is a little tricky (I ended up eating all the crumbs and broken pieces so it was all good). They are really tasty.

Pierre Herme black olive sablés

• Like 9

@FrogPrincesse

I have made those same cookies in the past and found them extremely good. I just don't think my audience has a palate that would appreciate them.  My lot seem to be sugar babes -- the sweeter the better. I don't think they got the recent memos on sugar and healthxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I am calling these "kitchen sink cookies". I had a bunch of inclusions such as Score (toffee) bits, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate bits (pieces of string too short to save) so they all went in. If you are after a sugar coma then two of these should do the trick. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Very rustic looking oatmeal/raisin/chocolate chip cookies from Smitten Kitten. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Smitten Kitten. I love it. So, which one of your adorable kittens made these delicious treats? ;)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Her's is the only recipe I use for this kind of cookie.  SO good.  Haven't made them in quite some time.  Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Smitten Kitten. I love it. So, which one of your adorable kittens made these delicious treats? ;)

Honest not my kittens.   xD  Smitten Kitten is a very popular website!   My little guys just get underfoot.

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

You mean Smitten Kitchen, right? Something "odd" came up when I searched for Smitten Kitten!

OMG.  I am truly embarrassed.  I have been using that website for years and I've always read it as Smitten Kitten!   Just could not understand why someone like you would not be aware of it.   My cheeks are truly :blush: burning.  

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/15/2015 at 3:48 AM, Anna N said:

Thanks for your kind comment, Tri2Cook.   I volunteered to supply snacks for these meetings to overcome my fear of the whole baking thing.  While I am never likely to attempt complicated cakes or other pastries the experience I have gained  has been well worth the effort.  Some weeks from energy (mine!) and time constraints all they get are brownies.   Other weeks something a little more challenging.  I have a few recipes that I am looking forward to attempting in the new year.  

I suspect it has everything to do with people saying "Oh, wow, look what Anna made THIS time!" and diving in.

I'm glad I read this thread while eating lunch, else I'd be getting up right now to make cookies. And I don't need cookies.

But I WANT cookies.....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Peanut butter cookies. I added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder with the dry ingredients. Not a huge fan of peanut butter cookies. They tend to be so one dimensional that I consider them just a peanut butter delivery system that is neater than spooning it out of the jar. xD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not a huge fan of peanut butter cookies. They tend to be so one dimensional that I consider them just a peanut butter delivery system that is neater than spooning it out of the jar. xD

True enough, but right now, I'd really love one of your PB cookies to go with my second cup of coffee.  

• Like 4

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a well-made peanut butter cookie in my book, but has anyone ever tried peanut butter chocolate chip cookies? I have made these and everyone likes them a lot. My husband loves Reeses Peanut Butter cups so I made these cookies for him, and he loves them. I haven't made them or baked much sweet stuff in a while because he has gained quite a bit of weight, and I certainly don't need them around.

I dug out the recipe from the back of an old bag of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips I saved for Double Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies. Here is a link from the website. This is what gave me the idea, but I believe I took a favorite chocolate chip recipe with brown sugar and substituted peanut butter for all or most of the butter. I don't use the peanut butter chips in mine, because I find them bland and waxy, and I prefer the dark chocolate chips to milk. Mine are more peanutty than the original inspiration because they contain much more than 1/3 c peanut butter. Sometimes I add roasted, salted peanuts as well.

Very popular, and definitely not one-note.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

On 6/6/2016 at 8:18 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Peanut butter cookies. I added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder with the dry ingredients. Not a huge fan of peanut butter cookies. They tend to be so one dimensional that I consider them just a peanut butter delivery system that is neater than spooning it out of the jar. xD

Did the peanut butter powder make any difference in the flavor?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver

I was afraid somebody would ask me that.  Dunno.  It has been a long time since I had a peanut butter cookie. O.o  Perhaps someone from the group who will eat them tomorrow will comment.  They will not know that I used peanut butter powder.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Dried cherry brownies.  (All I want for Christmas is my very own Food Stylist.)

As an aside what I really wanted to make was salty caramel brownies from the New York Times but my baking cabinet  needs some replenishment before I can attempt much of anything.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog