• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

6EB867AA-2099-4E2E-940B-C6D91263C49E.thumb.jpeg.79812423a0cdec9e2a51a63e0127e8d3.jpeg

These are the potato chip shortbread cookies from Midwest Made introduced here by @blue_dolphin.  I must have read this recipe through so many times I thought I could recite it. I should’ve read it at least one more time!  I completely forgot the step about brushing the dough with the egg before sprinkling on the potato chips. I tried to recover by brushing with the egg wash after applying the potato chips and it seemed to work reasonably well. My rolling pin is MIA. I don’t understand since it has only one place where it lives. I live alone. Perhaps it has been eaten by termites. A cold bottle of aquavit did the job. 

I thought these would be completely irresistible. But I’m just not feeling the love. There is just something too out there for me. Chocolate chips and Lays potato chips are not a marriage made in heaven to my taste buds.

But I am still grateful that @blue_dolphinshared her experience and gave me an opportunity to try something new. 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Chocolate chips and Lays potato chips are not a marriage made in heaven to my taste buds.

I wonder how they'd be sans the chips? Most people I know think my opinion that chocolate doesn't make everything better is a silly one but they usually feel the same about my opinion that bacon and/or cheese does not in fact make everything better either. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

These are the potato chip shortbread cookies from Midwest Made introduced here by @blue_dolphin.  I must have read this recipe through so many times I thought I could recite it. I should’ve read it at least one more time!  I completely forgot the step about brushing the dough with the egg before sprinkling on the potato chips. I tried to recover by brushing with the egg wash after applying the potato chips and it seemed to work reasonably well. My rolling pin is MIA. I don’t understand since it has only one place where it lives. I live alone. Perhaps it has been eaten by termites. A cold bottle of aquavit did the job. 

I thought these would be completely irresistible. But I’m just not feeling the love. There is just something too out there for me. Chocolate chips and Lays potato chips are not a marriage made in heaven to my taste buds.

But I am still grateful that @blue_dolphinshared her experience and gave me an opportunity to try something new. 

They are lookers, nevertheless.  Sorry you didn’t love them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I wonder how they'd be sans the chips? Most people I know think my opinion that chocolate doesn't make everything better is a silly one but they usually feel the same about my opinion that bacon and/or cheese does not in fact make everything better either. :D

Exactly my thoughts. Not that I would make them again even without the chocolate chips. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I completely forgot the step about brushing the dough with the egg before sprinkling on the potato chips.

I also forgot that step and just left it out!  The recipe says they are better the second day although I didn’t notice a big difference. I did like them though. 

46 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also forgot that step and just left it out!  The recipe says they are better the second day although I didn’t notice a big difference. I did like them though. 

Whew!  I was feeling totally inadequate because I was sure you would have made perfectly!  I can now scrape a little of my ego up off the kitchen floor!  But I still don’t particularly like them. I  wonder how they will be received by the meeters? Meetees?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just to wrap it up from my point of  view. What a difference a day makes. I had kept two deformed pieces which I tried today and it’s hard to believe it’s the same cookie. So if anyone else attempts these please save your judgement at least overnight. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

And the votes are in:

68B8B7F0-96FB-4412-9FC1-B1EB37254E4B.thumb.jpeg.19562a5207a7bc34c6fa989d42d5a66b.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just to wrap it up from my point of  view. What a difference a day makes. I had kept two deformed pieces which I tried today and it’s hard to believe it’s the same cookie. So if anyone else attempts these please save your judgement at least overnight.

Great... more for the "things to try" list that's probably not going to be cleared in my lifetime as it is. :D

• Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9826AF8D-3C51-4D88-9349-8E2A9486EE92.thumb.jpeg.90a839085337d6252eb2025cdb568089.jpeg

Revel bars. Thanks to @blue_dolphin.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1D0088F8-31BD-4986-BD26-782204017DA8.thumb.jpeg.06b86a22746458ff71869633793d2e46.jpeg

Toffee Crunch Blondies.

The best part are the crumbs left behind after cutting them. I ate them with a spoon while leaning over the kitchen sink. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

CF393BA9-9CC0-4BE2-B413-7EC7D4818E87.thumb.jpeg.3e43981b461951b6d2093b65c6747cb2.jpeg

Katherine Hepburn‘s brownies. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Well apparently the Katherine Hepburn brownies made quite an impression:

CEC39A90-EDC0-421D-8D3A-B9EFC7B6C780.thumb.jpeg.2ef799cc2f84ee96adf2b6f9de2ca512.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

I can only imagine how good the Audrey Hepburn brownies could be.

Admit it, you wanted to leave off "brownies"... or is that just me. :P :D

The brownies do indeed look tasty though.

Edit: I just realized (2 hours after I posted this) the original post was actually "Katherine Hepburn‘s brownies". Is it bad that my brain automatically inserts Audrey any time it sees any mention of a Hepburn? 😆

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Seems like we are on the same wave length!
Katharine was a better actress, but Audrey was the very definition of elegance and beauty. So if the Katharine Hepburn brownies are super yummy, then the Audrey Hepburn brownies must be the best pastries ever! Who has the recipe?

Teo

Teo

4 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Seems like we are on the same wave length!
Katharine was a better actress, but Audrey was the very definition of elegance and beauty. So if the Katharine Hepburn brownies are super yummy, then the Audrey Hepburn brownies must be the best pastries ever! Who has the recipe?

Teo

She never made brownies. She didn’t want to get flour all over that perfect little black dress.

• Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

She never made brownies. She didn’t want to get flour all over that perfect little black dress.

She was so elegant that no single crumb dusted her dress while eating pastries in front of Tiffany.

Teo

• Haha 2

Teo

From the Hepburns to Nick Malgieri and his supernatural brownies. It seemed highly unlikely that the sales team would be enjoying treats from me this week. As usual I made them yesterday but as my daughter was here to drop off some stuff I suggested she take them home and cut them up and package them. This she did and reported back that anyone of them would work just fine to drive a nail into concrete. These are the photos she sent to me:

A7F4DC30-9123-4D24-AEE3-22F1ED39C783.thumb.jpeg.4c549258f7d89dae2fbb806476339d88.jpeg

52C4E3C5-8332-40D3-A7BC-44602CCAC7A6.thumb.jpeg.ff9e77a8bccac87b67ce59e0981ff7b7.jpeg

MY granddaughter said they were tasty but SOLID, Nan, SOLID.  

DAMN.

So I consulted with my favourite baking buddy who diagnosed over-baking but whose treatment seem to be a bit drastic: reduce the cooking time from 45 to 18 minutes.  Seemed a bit drastic. 

So this morning I made a half recipe. I used an 8 x 8 pan versus a 13 x 9 pan. I reduced the oven temperature from 350°F to 325°F and reduced the cooking time to 35 minutes.

07575729-C2B3-49C2-BACF-B06568CE925D.thumb.jpeg.4beedfd20710ffc14c853930392027c2.jpeg

Decidely better. 

I am getting too old for this. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a really hard time with brownies.  They are my favorite dessert when cooked right (to me).  That means cooked longer than most people like.  I don't care for gooey brownies.  I don't want hard and dry, but I like them really, really chewy and firm.  I adore corner pieces and love using that funny all edges brownie pan.  But the chance you take with drier, chewier brownies is they sometimes end up like your nail driving batch.😉

• Haha 4

I'm with @Kim Shook, I like my brownies more well done and definitely will be the one to grab the corner piece. But the over baked ones make fine mix-ins (chopped small) for ice cream...if you let them sit a couple of minutes they soften a little. Not much help for "meeting friendly" snacks, tho'....

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

29 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I'm with @Kim Shook, I like my brownies more well done and definitely will be the one to grab the corner piece. But the over baked ones make fine mix-ins (chopped small) for ice cream...if you let them sit a couple of minutes they soften a little. Not much help for "meeting friendly" snacks, tho'....

I have little doubt that my granddaughter will make good use of the failed brownies!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog