• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

On 10/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, Anna N said:

I am sure you are right but my daughter described them as “just perfect”. 

After a few days I understand better what you were talking about. They were still tasty but they were now extremely crumbly probably the rice flour would have taking care of some of this “crumblingness”.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/15/2019 at 12:48 PM, Anna N said:

Today I made these salty chocolate oatmeal cookies.

These got thumbs up all around. They would’ve been eaten the same day but as I have noted, after a few days they became very crumbly. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6B44C567-6660-4290-846B-F63BAA32BEB9.thumb.jpeg.aeebe616378c38adc387859e21837aae.jpeg

Deep, dark, and I hope, delicious brownies. I forgot the baking powder but since I was making Fudgy brownies I didn’t see what the point of the baking powder was anyway. Somebody will surely tell me but when I did some research I found every reason to believe that it was an unnecessary ingredient in this style of brownie. I will let you know how many of them are returned uneaten.  These are the gluten-free brownies from the King Arthur flour site but I used a different gluten-free flour mix. It was Bob’s Red Mill. I also included a very large amount of dark Costa Rican chocolate and some black cocoa powder. But at least I didn’t claim I followed the recipe exactly. 😂 

“Absolutely Delicious! I made these exactly like the recipe with a few changes, adding a fourth whole egg and 2 thirds of the baking cocoa called for in the recipe and .....“ — That was a comment from somewhere on the site. I’m not sure it was for this particular recipe.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

After a few days I understand better what you were talking about. They were still tasty but they were now extremely crumbly probably the rice flour would have taking care of some of this “crumblingness”.  

I was suggesting some rice flour mainly because you were complaining they tasted like chocolate and oatmeal, not like a cookie. You are right on everything, they are delicious without flour, but you need flour for longer storage. It just depends on what's the final result you are aiming for. If your daughter loved them without flour, then there's no reason to change them.

Teo

Teo

Years ago I run a pastry blog, I really got sick of all those kind of messages.

A person contacted me regarding a pound cake, saying "I made it exactly like the recipe but it came really hard". I went through the usual questions regarding possible missteps during the execution with no avail. Finally I asked "are you sure you scaled all ingredients correctly?", the answer was "well, I kept out all the butter to make it lighter". No surprise that a pound cake without butter comes out like a brick.

Another one contacted me regarding an entremet (cake with mousse layers and mirror glaze) made with apricot, saffron and pistachio. Her mail was "I really really love this cake and would like to make it for my birthday, but I don't like saffron nor pistachio, I would like to use chocolate, but not as a mousse, more of a cake". My answer: "what you are looking for was invented years ago, it's called sacher torte".

I could go on till night.

Teo

• Haha 7

Teo

3 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Years ago I run a pastry blog, I really got sick of all those kind of messages.

A person contacted me regarding a pound cake, saying "I made it exactly like the recipe but it came really hard". I went through the usual questions regarding possible missteps during the execution with no avail. Finally I asked "are you sure you scaled all ingredients correctly?", the answer was "well, I kept out all the butter to make it lighter". No surprise that a pound cake without butter comes out like a brick.

Another one contacted me regarding an entremet (cake with mousse layers and mirror glaze) made with apricot, saffron and pistachio. Her mail was "I really really love this cake and would like to make it for my birthday, but I don't like saffron nor pistachio, I would like to use chocolate, but not as a mousse, more of a cake". My answer: "what you are looking for was invented years ago, it's called sacher torte".

I could go on till night.

Teo

We need to be able to click onto multiple responses.  I honestly don't know whether to choose "laugh", "cry", or "confused"!  Wow.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

Deep, dark, and I hope, delicious brownies.

Apparently none are being returned to sender. Word is “very yummy” and I don’t tell you that to brag but to tell you that none of them in this group knew that these were gluten-free brownies. I suspect that they are one of the few things that lose very little in translation. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

EB2943BC-63FA-47AC-AEB5-F084CB8AC1E4.thumb.jpeg.e7fc1994dce1c013e359bae3d5917888.jpeg

Nothing too challenging today but I was happy with the way they turned out and this recipe made a lot of cookies. These are snickerdoodles from the book Flour by  Joanne Chang. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nothing too challenging today but I was happy with the way they turned out and this recipe made a lot of cookies. These are snickerdoodles from the book Flour by  Joanne Chang. 

That has become my go-to snickerdoodle recipe.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 10/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, Anna N said:

I think they work just fine with the almond flour although I suppose one ought to always make the recipe as given first. But rules were made to be broken and I broke this one.

One only ought to always make the recipe as given first if one intends to criticize said recipe if the results aren't satisfactory. If one doesn't intend to do that or is willing to include the fact that they made changes in their review and not conclude that the original recipe sucks based on the results with their changes... like  you said, rules were made to be broken. There was a time when I was a firm believer in "do it as written first" but over the years I've shifted more towards "What's the fun in that?" :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

81E1A6CE-C95A-4845-A249-AD16288B8E30.thumb.jpeg.ec2ff74a3665a568a5ade8c5ce1f8658.jpeg

The best darn ginger snaps I have ever made. The recipe is from the King Arthur flour site and uses shortening instead of butter. You can stop shuddering now. I rarely use shortening but this time it was specified as essential to capture the texture I associate with gingersnaps. The only change I made to the recipe was to add 1/3 of a cup (give or take) Of finely chopped crystallized ginger. I have made a note on the recipe to up the spices somewhat next time. Perhaps mine are getting old and flavourless just like me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

81E1A6CE-C95A-4845-A249-AD16288B8E30.thumb.jpeg.ec2ff74a3665a568a5ade8c5ce1f8658.jpeg

The best darn ginger snaps I have ever made. The recipe is from the King Arthur flour site and uses shortening instead of butter. You can stop shuddering now. I rarely use shortening but this time it was specified as essential to capture the texture I associate with gingersnaps. The only change I made to the recipe was to add 1/3 of a cup (give or take) Of finely chopped crystallized ginger. I have made a note on the recipe to up the spices somewhat next time. Perhaps mine are getting old and flavourless just like me. 

Shortening is a necessary evil in some cookies!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

add 1/3 of a cup (give or take) Of finely chopped crystallized ginger

That's a wise decision for almost everything (I'm addicted and have a problem).

Teo

Teo

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Those look great.  Are they really crunchy?

They are really crunchy. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, teonzo said:

That's a wise decision for almost everything (I'm addicted and have a problem).

Teo

Me too. I think I ate 2/3 of a cup while I chopped up 1/3 of a cup. 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Me too. I think I ate 2/3 of a cup while I chopped up 1/3 of a cup. 

This is the scientific proof that eating crystallized ginger makes you good at math. So we need to eat more without regrets.

Teo

• Haha 3

Teo

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I just had to look, lol.

@Anna N, over on Serious Eats, Bravetart (Stella Parks) is an advocate of using coconut oil (either refined or virgin, depending on whether you want to taste coconut) 1:1 to replace shortening. It's always worked for me, and might be worth a gingersnap experiment.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

34 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

@Anna N, over on Serious Eats, Bravetart (Stella Parks) is an advocate of using coconut oil (either refined or virgin, depending on whether you want to taste coconut) 1:1 to replace shortening. It's always worked for me, and might be worth a gingersnap experiment.

Thanks. It’s probably not anything I would experiment with unless I was baking daily with shortening. But there are others on here who might find it an acceptable option if they feel as strongly as some do about shortening. So thank you. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

E70D0E44-C6EE-489E-B65B-08AEB2BAB369.thumb.jpeg.12d06d6838028b3d7a235065ae8bb924.jpeg

More millionnaire hermits. Brazil nuts, almonds, raisins, currants and medjool dates.  The gap in the far back was a quality control cookie. The ones in the very front got left in a little too long because I was distracted. But they still taste good. All told this made 34 cookies some of which are still finishing up in the oven. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog