• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  I'd happily take them off your hands.  I love date squares and they look delicious.

Thank you. I ate one while they were still warm. Quality Control – – you understand.

• Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

When I was a kid, Betty Crocker had a date bar mix that I loved beyond reason.  Your look even more amazing.  Lucky son!

It’s a Betty Crocker recipe.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Dates , esp. medjool dates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medjool

were invented specifically for Date Bars.

what was your Rx   @Anna N ?

thanks

Here.

P.S. We don’t “do” margarine.  Prefer the stuff made by cows not chemists.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here.

P.S. We don’t “do” margarine.  Prefer the stuff made by cows not chemists.

There are two recipes of my mother's that I use hard margarine for - one is date squares the other - butter tarts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

FYI: I have found Aldi to be a great source for medjool dates. Sam's has them, too, but Aldi has smaller quantities, and I think they're actually cheaper.

I make a spread with chopped dates, chopped olives, capers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar that's marvelous on top of soft cheeses. Sort of a tapenade, I guess. I started out using figs, but was out one day and used dates. They're pretty much interchangeable.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

I believe this recipe would lend itself easily to being gluten-free. I did not think that my daughter liked date squares else I would have replaced the all purpose flour in these with a gluten-free baking mix and I believe it would’ve worked just fine.

Edited by Anna N
Verb tense (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

F6FA9EEC-1080-434C-8097-560A137C38DE.thumb.jpeg.b259cc7364cbfeae6ac373cc0b6766ca.jpeg

“Millionaires” hermit cookies. I renamed them because these have dates, currants, Brazil nuts, and almonds.

Just one of these is a total meal replacement. I need to get them out of my house ASAP. This is less than a third of the batch I made.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

F6FA9EEC-1080-434C-8097-560A137C38DE.thumb.jpeg.b259cc7364cbfeae6ac373cc0b6766ca.jpeg

“Millionaires” hermit cookies. I renamed them because these have dates, currants, Brazil nuts, and almonds.

Just one of these is a total meal replacement. I need to get them out of my house ASAP. This is less than a third of the batch I made.  

They look awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hermit cookies of last week were a real hit with my son-in-law. He saved two for his coffee following day and lied to one of his coworkers that they were all gone!

0167956C-3415-4907-82B8-427365F9C1FE.thumb.jpeg.10e0bc95a6f6c1af2312ad1361f3edb1.jpeg

This week Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from  Smitten Kitchen. Most of these will go off with my son-in-law tomorrow morning.

B601E7FA-1099-4E0F-90C8-295A98B4588D.thumb.jpeg.84b5d17faf5857089c8bd375a3b70424.jpeg

These aberrations, however, with their crisp and caramelly edges are MINE. MINE. MINE.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

indeed.  cookie edges are sometimes the very best parts

When I make Super Sized Ginger Chewies with Sugar Babies, the Babies on the edge tend to melt and form a lacy caramel edge.  I trim these off to make the cookies look neater.  And, of course, eat all the trimmings.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today I made these salty chocolate oatmeal cookies. Instead of the flour in the recipe I used almond flour so that my daughter who chooses to avoid gluten might enjoy them. I think they work just fine with the almond flour although I suppose one ought to always make the recipe as given first. But rules were made to be broken and I broke this one. There’s nothing wrong with these cookies.  They just don’t blow my mind in any way. I will let you know how many rejects are returned.  To me they taste like oatmeal held together by chocolate, really good chocolate because that’s what I have (thanks to @Kerry Beal). 

176FBFA0-68A7-4625-8FC9-FFF9A121FA12.thumb.jpeg.cceff257d869412773c69a0085ea2f38.jpeg

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Today I made these salty chocolate oatmeal cookies.

I love how they look and I love the flavor pairings, so I'm saving this and will try it in the future, thanks.

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Instead of the flour in the recipe I used almond flour so that my daughter who chooses to avoid gluten might enjoy them. I think they work just fine with the almond flour

Almond flour has no binding power (no available starches), so if you need to avoid wheat flour then it should be better to sub it with half almond flour and half rice flour (or cornstarch).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

I love how they look and I love the flavor pairings, so I'm saving this and will try it in the future, thanks.

Almond flour has no binding power (no available starches), so if you need to avoid wheat flour then it should be better to sub it with half almond flour and half rice flour (or cornstarch).

Teo

I am sure you are right but my daughter described them as “just perfect”. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/almond-crackle-cookies

This should link to Dorie's 3 ingredient almond cookies. The recipe is all over the place. It is without doubt the single easiest and best cookie I know of that doesn't have either gluten, or for that matter, cholesterol, since it uses egg white but no yolk. Has no flour of any kind. Personally I like this type of thing far better than any kind of cookie made with non-gluten flours to try and approximate a wheat-based treat. They are addictive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

, since it uses egg white but no yolk

I’m not sure where you getting this from but the recipe clearly calls for an egg unless my eyes deceive me. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Right you are. It's my brain, not your eyes.

No worries. I did have to read it three or four times to make sure that I was not missing something.No worries. I did have to read it three or four times to make sure that I was not missing something.

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog