• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks Elsie, but I had already found a recipe for cookie butter and will try it soon.  I figure it's because we don't eat out much and don't eat commercially prepared foods that we are still alive and kicking...:P

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We don’t eat a lot of commercial foods, either - I just don’t think the extra stuff in it is good for my guys ... I do make the odd exception for some things (like cookie butter - Peanut Butter- chocolate chips - yogurt - some things like that. Personally, I don’t think the odd exceptions i make here and there is going to kill them - ymmv.

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

80554054-2161-4EDB-A55B-BD0BDA96DF61.thumb.jpeg.2134f197e964c328b7897871bf226cfc.jpeg

Butter tart squares. They’re really dark but they’re not burnt at all. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7D289951-124C-4236-B507-B70A591CE965.thumb.jpeg.00fc0ecc08d00e7547899eaf41f2507a.jpeg

Sebastian’s brownies (made with mostly black cocoa)

I’m not sure I would ever attempt these again — at least not without cutting the recipe in half.  

In consistency the batter stood about halfway between Mississippi mud and magma. Getting it out of the bowl  and into the pan took every ounce of strength I had. The instructions said to smooth the top. I was wishing I had access to some earth-moving equipment for this task.

But they are chocolate. They are brownies. Everyone will love them.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lol, I get this  nutty image of you in a little mini road grader gliding across the pan of brownies smoothing out the ripples as you go.  You may need an end loader to lift them out of the pan too.  Your kitchen has become a construction zone, hardhats required!  But they look amazing and I would bring a jack hammer if needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

E9EA82FC-BBFE-4797-A608-38774AFD591B.thumb.jpeg.048691ca43d8216ae48e7c02b6454755.jpeg

Not the most attractive chocolate chip cookies that I have ever made.  My Thomas Keller alter ego  must have been in hiding. 

I will be sure to let you know how many are rejected and sent home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by @patris‘s oatmeal cookies and as an attempt to tease a group that I have spent some time with recently, I present today’s offering.

I will divide them between those that go to the meeting people and that was that go  to a potluck that is marking the end of a rehab session. The participants in the rehab session seem to be all oatmeal-for-breakfast obsessed. In its natural state I am not a fan of oatmeal so here I will present them with breakfast – –  no bowl to wash!

Oatmeal with dried fruit (raisins and cherries) and honey. 

876FB1BD-FE9C-4861-89D0-89AE74D8C8BF.thumb.jpeg.8a4aab92a044579627978819b1ac21c1.jpeg

F192E377-82A6-46C3-86D2-924DDCC25C4A.thumb.jpeg.d764cf93b96c8193681e3cee8626ddd4.jpeg

This one with the lacy edges had my name written all over it. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Inspired by @patris‘s oatmeal cookies and as an attempt to tease a group that I have spent some time with recently, I present today’s offering.

I will divide them between those that go to the meeting people and that was that go  to a potluck that is marking the end of a rehab session. The participants in the rehab session seem to be all oatmeal-for-breakfast obsessed. In its natural state I am not a fan of oatmeal so here I will present them with breakfast – –  no bowl to wash!

Oatmeal with dried fruit (raisins and cherries) and honey. 

876FB1BD-FE9C-4861-89D0-89AE74D8C8BF.thumb.jpeg.8a4aab92a044579627978819b1ac21c1.jpeg

F192E377-82A6-46C3-86D2-924DDCC25C4A.thumb.jpeg.d764cf93b96c8193681e3cee8626ddd4.jpeg

This one with the lacy edges had my name written all over it. 

Ha, I just said the same thing! I'd fight ya for it Anna. Dueling canes at midnight?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Ha, I just said the same thing! I'd fight ya for it Anna. Dueling canes at midnight?

Can we make it a bit earlier? I’m usually in bed around 8:30. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not usually a fan of oatmeal or oatmeal cookies, but I'd make an exception for those, Anna...even without fighting for the one with the lacy edges!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

E10F8FA3-99E1-4F95-BA02-49A0A2A95304.thumb.jpeg.8e3b539f8ea230ae405139a7ea959df5.jpeg

Paul Young's classic fudgy  brownies.  This is the third batch I have made in the last two days. One batch will go for the meeting people, one batch was made with gluten-free baking mix and will go to my daughter and one batch will go to the rehab group. 

I was out of Lyles Golden Syrup so used honey for the first two batches. I don’t recommend it. They ended up very dense and very sticky. The last batch I made with maple syrup and I’m much happier with them. Once again we will see how many get returned as unsatisfactory.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

E10F8FA3-99E1-4F95-BA02-49A0A2A95304.thumb.jpeg.8e3b539f8ea230ae405139a7ea959df5.jpeg

Paul Young's classic fudgy  brownies.  This is the third batch I have made in the last two days. One batch will go for the meeting people, one batch was made with gluten-free baking mix and will go to my daughter and one batch will go to the rehab group. 

I was out of Lyles Golden Syrup so used honey for the first two batches. I don’t recommend it. They ended up very dense and very sticky. The last batch I made with maple syrup and I’m much happier with them. Once again we will see how many get returned as unsatisfactory.

Like that ever happened!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...

4E6E01C2-ADA4-4FA5-B7F7-7561AE05956A.thumb.jpeg.148baff4c5163695c2391d0a2af77c16.jpeg

D35C4DB9-BC30-486D-B66E-BE46D1A9BA6A.thumb.jpeg.cbecc3b0764bcf52d5de33cde248d8d4.jpeg

I am back. Six weeks in Manitoulin and then my son-in-law was on holiday then other things took over my life. I did start last week but unfortunately I learned the hard way that my Cuisinart Steam Oven does not keep an accurate temperature when it is in the convection/bake mode.  As a consequence this same recipe for Chocolate Almond Situation ( yes that really is what it is called) did not bake properly.  Since it has almost 3/4 of a pound of chocolate I did not waste the failed product but sent it over for my daughter and granddaughter to enjoy.  They had no issue spooning it into bowls!

I tried hard for decent photographs but this is as good as it’s getting.  I think of them as brownies on steroids.

The recipe is from the book Zahav  but I found it online here.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

4E6E01C2-ADA4-4FA5-B7F7-7561AE05956A.thumb.jpeg.148baff4c5163695c2391d0a2af77c16.jpeg

D35C4DB9-BC30-486D-B66E-BE46D1A9BA6A.thumb.jpeg.cbecc3b0764bcf52d5de33cde248d8d4.jpeg

I am back. Six weeks in Manitoulin and then my son-in-law was on holiday then other things took over my life. I did start last week but unfortunately I learned the hard way that my Cuisinart Steam Oven does not keep an accurate temperature when it is in the convection/bake mode.  As a consequence this same recipe for Chocolate Almond Situation ( yes that really is what it is called) did not bake properly.  Since it has almost 3/4 of a pound of chocolate I did not waste the failed product but sent it over for my daughter and granddaughter to enjoy.  They had no issue spooning it into bowls!

I tried hard for decent photographs but this is as good as it’s getting.  I think of them as brownies on steroids.

The recipe is from the book Zahav  but I found it online here.

I would have no problem eating those. Delicious!

• Like 2

I can't remember if i posted this last time I made them, so with apologies for geriatric memory lapse, Here are Rye, cranberry, chocolate chunk cookies.    Noting baking time is essential as their charm is chewiness.    Poppy seeds and Malden salt are also important to both flavor and texture.   

394165265_ScreenShot2019-09-10at8_03_21AM.png.ed15c2e70c04fa27f0fa998381f8ff8d.png

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

nothing quite like home-made brownies from scratch.

then , of course their are Blondies , and etc etc.

In 2015, the Butte fire came within a few hundred yards of our country place.     CalFire established a staging area at the bottom of our hill.    We made batch after batch of brownies to take down to fire fighters resting between shifts.    Until we ran out of eggs...    These guys are well fed, but still very appreciative of warm "home-did" brownies.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

02AF6020-E946-4131-BCC4-07E0D81FF17E.thumb.jpeg.d3c24abef85182956ced4b261a02b5cb.jpeg

While we were up in Manitoulin @Kerry Bealfound some lovely dates at HomeSense.  I asked her to grab me a package and I had date squares in my mind.   Today was the day.   I had just finished cutting them when my daughter arrived and informed me that my son-in-law was in Edmonton for the week. Oh well. I guess they’ll freeze.   I don’t really need the temptation in the house though.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog