• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

@Anna N

Those brownies look so rich and scrumptious!  Did you use muscovado sugar?  Smoked sea salt?   Or did you use any substitutes? 

I just wonder if someone, other than ourselves, would be able to taste the smoked salt in them...

former CacaoFlower.

37 minutes ago, CacaoC said:

@Anna N

Those brownies look so rich and scrumptious!  Did you use muscovado sugar?  Smoked sea salt?   Or did you use any substitutes? 

I just wonder if someone, other than ourselves, would be able to taste the smoked salt in them...

I used a combination of sugars:   Turbinado,  Muscovado  and raw sugar (because that’s what I had). I did use smoked salt but skipped the pepper for this group although if I was making it for myself I would’ve included the pepper.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And here is the response to the Paul Young brownies: 

86F89091-62F1-4D0A-9926-73DE20583ACC.thumb.jpeg.0a45383232ab66d0a5e190eea4a0fc91.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Anna N said:

Paul Young’s Salted Fudge Brownies.  Methinks these should require a doctor’s note in order to partake. 

They look incredibly rich and moist on their own, they must be completely over the top when doused in the sauce that most of his brownie recipes I've been able to dig up tend to include. I'm wondering if it's even worth bothering to do the sauce.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

They look incredibly rich and moist on their own, they must be completely over the top when doused in the sauce that most of his brownie recipes I've been able to dig up tend to include. I'm wondering if it's even worth bothering to do the sauce.

Don’t know. Obviously not an option when these are being devoured in an office environment. Although I’m sure this gang would have no issues —their management might!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don’t know. Obviously not an option when these are being devoured in an office environment. Although I’m sure this gang would have no issues —their management might!  

Management always spoiling the fun. :D I don't think I'll bother with the sauce. I don't need it and I'm hoping I'll feel generous and take most of them to work to share so I don't end up eating the whole pan myself. I don't tend to eat a lot of sweets but brownies are one of my few sweet weaknesses. I once made a pan of brownies and topped them with German chocolate cake icing (another weakness, don't care one way or the other about the cake, just the icing)... that was a mistake. 13x9 pan with an excessively thick layer of the icing and I ate the entire thing myself in about 3 days.

• Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I always consider it a HUGE bonus when I learn something from baking cookies.  This morning I was determined to use up some odds and sods from my baking cabinet and so adapted  a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe to accommodate milk and dark chocolate chunks, butterscotch chips and some dried cherries. 

The top photograph shows these cookies baked and silpat.  They are uniformly sized and coloured.

The other cookies were baked on parchment. That was the only difference.

I would’ve expected a very different result.

1A2FF3BC-D123-4CEA-AEB4-299CDECB59C7.thumb.jpeg.0a8f83cd380a240949834f5558c0c31f.jpeg

Baked on silpat 

719ECB8E-A9A8-420A-ABE1-5B1C0E09A5BB.thumb.jpeg.6171c11c9fe99fe331c2490196c88b95.jpeg

Baked on parchment. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the difference is very subtle to my eye.

Id have to stop by and eat a dozen or more to decicde

are the parchment one under baked.?

I wouldn't mind.

I think they are all perfectly baked it is just that the ones done on silpat seem to be much more consistent in size and coloration. 

Edited to add:

From a scientific viewpoint it is a very small sample from which to draw any real conclusions.:smile:

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

EAE8D257-C1D7-4772-994B-5E2B198EC6EC.thumb.jpeg.8ca6319db98b43fa5648988542d6d774.jpeg

Paul Young’s Classic Fudge Brownies.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I was inspired by @blue_dolphin‘s thumbprints  to try something I had never done before. 

A201E203-BFAC-4892-A334-060B02132D39.thumb.jpeg.4f8d92b453d95863d356f219334af9e9.jpeg

Black currant thumbprints. Not the neatest nor the prettiest but I still expect they will disappear. 

Edited to add:

I ate the least attractive ones as part of my quality control program. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

A7F0A86B-9971-4D65-8DD0-4382BB103D69.thumb.jpeg.99c6a08047848616a0f6b20569e0816e.jpeg57BD4636-9EC1-4825-A122-657D3439071A.thumb.jpeg.58ea8974f9f5b5ed7193b2b8c78e7fa8.jpeg

0784B82E-CA89-47BE-AD4E-7C15F8C86858.thumb.jpeg.98e22ea51f1585526d368c56dc57bddb.jpeg

Two-bite brownies because I was too chicken to try these in mini muffin pans. :(

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

F47353F4-DE33-4ADC-819B-5BA6693AE9F5.thumb.jpeg.43989f30ad54e49d577f96dbb0810781.jpeg

0A660259-A436-4834-83A3-06EBAEED3E1E.thumb.jpeg.cb151b7f12342ccabc2325b6a40bbd69.jpeg

I was intrigued by this recipe. I have all kinds of nuts in the house but no pecans.  And once you have started messing with the recipe you might as well continue.  

It seemed to me that the base was really just a graham cracker crust and yet it called for room temperature rather than melted butter.   So I melted the butter and then thought that with the other ingredients as outlined it would make a very sparse base. So I added more graham cracker crumbs. 

This can probably no longer be considered the recipe that @Ann_Tlinked to. My apologies. But it’s a damn fine bar. 

It is sort of a cross between a butter tart and an almond butter crunch.  

I shall await the verdict when it is presented to the sugar-hungry crowd.

Thank you for the inspiration, Ann_T. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

P.S.:  I see a white line there and there

is that just TheNuts ?

Yep. Sliced almonds. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't have a photo, but it occurs to me this would be a good recipe to share. I have become something of the default snack-provider for my Sunday school class, due to my tendency to get up on Sunday morning and bake muffins. Yesterday, I did a cherry-almond-coconut one, and only thought to post it when I saw the sliced almonds in @Anna N's post, above.

The recipe is my go-to muffin recipe, with the specific additions:

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp almond flavoring
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 small bag dehydrated cherries

Whisk together first five ingredients. Beat together next four ingredients. Stir wet into dry, just until moistened. Fold in cherries, almonds and coconut. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350F. Serve warm with an obscene amount of butter. 

The base muffin recipe, with vanilla instead of almond flavoring, is the Peabody Hotel in Memphis' vanilla muffin recipe. It lends itself to most any add-ins you can think to throw in it (it's killer with fresh blueberries), takes well to a streusel topping, and will convert quickly to a savory muffin by reducing or eliminating the sugar (good smoky bacon and cheese are wonderful in it, with soup or stew). It's one of those recipes I couldn't live without.

I generally use whole milk because that's what I have on hand, and I have used half-and-half in a pinch. I think it'd work just fine with two percent.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I don't have a photo, but it occurs to me this would be a good recipe to share. 

Thank you for sharing this. I find, however, that muffins of any kind do not work very well due to the situation.  Muffins have a very short lifespan when they are really good and I can never be sure when the snacks will eventually reach their intended audience.  If I could get up in the morning and throw muffins in the oven and know that my son-in-law would drop by and grab them on his way to work they would be the perfect snack. It ain’t never gonna happen. 😂 

When I make snacks on Monday I can be fairly certain they will reach their audience by Wednesday!  Can never be certain they will make it before that.  

But I bet there are others who will be very happy that you shared this recipe.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

You are correct. I emailed myself a link to that post so I'd be able to find it later.

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you for sharing this. I find, however, that muffins of any kind do not work very well due to the situation.  Muffins have a very short lifespan when they are really good and I can never be sure when the snacks will eventually reach their intended audience.  If I could get up in the morning and throw muffins in the oven and know that my son-in-law would drop by and grab them on his way to work they would be the perfect snack. It ain’t never gonna happen. 😂 

When I make snacks on Monday I can be fairly certain they will reach their audience by Wednesday!  Can never be certain they will make it before that.  

FWIW, I've frozen them with fairly good results.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is sort of a cross between a butter tart and an almond butter crunch.  

I shall await the verdict when it is presented to the sugar-hungry crowd.

And here is the verdict:

B1E14982-7BEB-4A98-9856-120B6E08F048.thumb.jpeg.d6ad48e21732ba102fcec8d626852721.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A4867045-378C-41D3-A5B2-133B1E8F338C.thumb.jpeg.6d4cbc1f128433f4d39a9aa85071812d.jpeg

Butter tart squares, again.

I seem to have great difficulty with these short bread bases/crusts. 

Oops. Now I have part of the answer!   I was going to type out the recipe but realized as I started that had I put too much flour in this one.   It was my second attempt of the morning. The first one I binned. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog