• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

EDE2204B-48A8-40B4-A793-525250B241DE.thumb.jpeg.0207ca327dfd6b1d5a7a2a0834d5fa21.jpeg

Simple but good. Oatmeal raisin cookies.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When we did the Vanilla Crescents it was always a game of are they cool enough to handle but hot a nough to adhre sugat. A very quick and deft hand as developed early on. Otherwise ya got "paste". Even 6 year olds get it.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

So of all the coconut macaroons that I made over the past little while these were is the most popular. 

In another thread we had a brief discussion about pfeffernusse and I thought they would be an excellent offering this close to the holidays.

B198A05D-D185-4F20-8E0A-D5685DE65382.thumb.jpeg.b5c566b8e7d0247a2b351b0733d34bec.jpeg

I sampled them before they were iced and they were excellent. Once iced the texture seemed to change. They have also obviously been through the wars as the icing is no longer very attractive. I like them enough to eat them myself but I’m not prepared to send them off into the world to have aspersions cast upon them. I used this recipe.

As a consequence the dough for Smitten Kitchen’s Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies is chilling in the fridge.

In Israel those cookies (in a more subtly spiced version) are quite popular (or once were, less so today). We call them דובשניות (lit. Little honeyed things). The coating here is always like in yours not very thick, and therefore not uniform. It gives them a snowy/icy look. IMO, the version in the recipe has an overly thick coating to it. I can assume it will also be too sugary. 

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

It was one of those days when Murphy ruled.  First, when I turned the food processor on to combine the ingredients for the short bread base, nothing happened. I turned it on and off a few times. I used some words that might’ve got my mouth washed out with soap at some pointin my life before realizing that I hadn’t bothered to put a blade in there. 

Then when I realized that the crust was not coming together and checked the recipe, I realized I had mismeasured the flour.  In an attempt to remedy that by increasing the amount of butter I managed to dump much of the mixture on the floor.

Somehow at the end of it all I came up with just barely passable butter tart squares.   But they have so much sugar in them that their audience will fail to find any fault with them.  As befits everything else that  went wrong I forgot to take a photograph before I had them packaged up.

2685E2EB-C936-4594-B65A-9FBCB19831F4.thumb.jpeg.6f78e44523b4af3ab1e9a36a20148894.jpeg

On the plus side these are the last treats I need to make this year. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

On the plus side these are the last treats I need to make this year. 

So the buttertart squares won best in 2018 award!   Nice way to end the year.   Of course, anything that sweet was bound to win with this crowd.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, kayb said:

Have you previously posted a recipe for said buttertart squares? If not, would you, please?

I should have given credit when I posted the photograph.  My excuse is that I was looking at all kinds of recipes before I settled on this.  

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I should have given credit when I posted the photograph.  My excuse is that I was looking at all kinds of recipes before I settled on this.  

Thanks. I remember the discussion about these before, and thinking they were similar, but for the base, to what we call chess pie. Believe I'll add chopped pecans instead of raisins, and bake them in mini muffin tins for treats, if I get to them. Banana bread in the oven now, and pecan meltaway dough chilling in the fridge. Oatmeal cookies up next. Adding candied fruit in a change from the usual, and because I had it. Another batch of cheese crisps, and that'll wind up the baking. Then it's on to candy making tomorrow.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

and bake them in mini muffin tins for treats, 

Sorry but this brings such a smile to my face. Of course you will do things that suit you best.  But the point of making buttertart squares was to get away from making little tarts in muffin tins.😂

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for posting this. 

I had to laugh, though, when I saw the date it was supposedly posted.

I know some of us have been around these boards for some time, but I didn't think it was that long ago! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sorry but this brings such a smile to my face. Of course you will do things that suit you best.  But the point of making buttertart squares was to get away from making little tarts in muffin tins.😂

Damn. Not as much of a nonconformist as I'd have myself believe...

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

27E873FF-7890-45CD-BC48-9C3C473260CA.thumb.jpeg.f615f0d09ffb95da6ec3fa326523efb2.jpeg

First offering of the new year. These are Brazil nut and coconut cookies.  Next time I would up the coconut but all in all I’m quite pleased with these. So pleased that some of them will not be leaving the house. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

And that's saying a LOT!

Perhaps I should have kept them all at home. Not everyone is familiar with Brazil nuts and my suspicion is that these were not as wildly successful as other cookies for this group of people.   I did get a thank you but it was more polite than enthusiastic.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Perhaps I should have kept them all at home. Not everyone is familiar with Brazil nuts and my suspicion is that these were not as wildly successful as other cookies for this group of people.   I did get a thank you but it was more polite than enthusiastic.  

Pearls before swine!

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pearls before swine!

Indeed.  I think I will reserve the Brazil nuts for personal consumption.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

46CB9BFE-E936-4E0E-B233-8AE1F4434C00.thumb.jpeg.247d85a7f22c6bd552420702a2577847.jpeg

Paul Young’s Salted Fudge Brownies.  Methinks these should require a doctor’s note in order to partake. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

That top one looks ready to fall.  If I catch it, can I keep it?  Please!

You can but first you would have to sign a release with my insurance company that you would not sue. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, kayb said:

No kidding. I'd sign about anything for one of those.

Have looked up and bookmarked recipe.

Friends don’t leave friends alone with these.

Edited to add:

If you do decide to bake these ignore any reference to time. After 30 minutes mine were still little more than batter.  I kept adding time and adding time and I truly don’t know how long they actually took. They will be hard to over bake as they are so damn rich and fudgey. 

The recipe calls for a 6 in brownie pan whatever that is. I had a 7 in x 7 in  stainless steel pan which I lined  carefully with parchment.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

and the Rx is :  ??

they do look gooooy and deine

Here.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog