• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

Usually I get immediate feedback about the baked goods I send off with my son-in-law to enjoy with his sales staff.  This week nothing. So I jumped to the conclusion that the ANZAC biscuits were quickly and quietly binned. I would not have been too surprised  even though they had grown on me in the meantime.  But my son-in-law showed up for a quick visit today and couldn't say enough about how his staff loved the biscuits. They all felt they were eating granola and hence something quite healthy but very good. Who knew?  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.bc31c004687d9e9bc7dcc6abf2da9651.jpeg

I always feel a little like I am cheating when I make brownies.   They just seem too easy.  But I also know I never get a complaint.  

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I always feel a little like I am cheating when I make brownies.   They just seem too easy.  But I also know I never get a complaint.  

Fudgy, moist, chewy chocolate cake... doesn't leave much room for complaint. :D 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Fudgy, moist, chewy chocolate cake... doesn't leave much room for complaint. :D 

I have never learned to like brownies.  

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They can become a bit much easily. Rich and sweet. Smallish pieces and a cold glass of milk on the side for me... but I do like them.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I'm in the non-brownie camp myself. 

Though I've found that a small bit of leftover batter, stirred into walnut halves (just enough to hold the walnuts together, basically) works pretty nicely when baked. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot completely about taking photographs this week but my son-in-law just sent me a text message saying that the carrot cake I made went over very well. I could not find my recipe but adapted one from the Canadian Living site replacing the nuts that it called for with raisins (apologies to all of you who think raisins are grape mummies).   I also did not ice it.  I find that icing on a carrot cake is more than icing on the cake.xD

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Forgot completely about taking photographs this week but my son-in-law just sent me a text message saying that the carrot cake I made went over very well. I could not find my recipe but adapted one from the Canadian Living site replacing the nuts that it called for with raisins (apologies to all of you who think raisins are grape mummies).   I also did not ice it.  I find that icing on a carrot cake is more than icing on the cake.xD

It's probably so old it's completely out of style, but I purely love the carrot cake from the Silver Palate cookbook.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

22 minutes ago, kayb said:

It's probably so old it's completely out of style, but I purely love the carrot cake from the Silver Palate cookbook.

I am such a stick-in-the-mud. I make a sheet pan type carrot cake in a 9 x 13 pan and it cannot contain coconut because my granddaughter hates coconut and she always gets a taste of whatever I make for her dad.  Using cooked carrots was something I ran across when I was hoping to find my own recipe. Just seems strange.   But I acknowledge that the silver palate version is very popular.

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Speaking as a person who, as you already know, is not a big fan of the raisin... never apologize for your raisins!

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.0985dd500df2474811a9b23eadf06caf.jpeg

Deep, dark, and decadent. Not a single raisin in there. Made with a high-class chocolate (Belcolade Costa Rican) and espresso powder (Medaglia D'Oro). Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Brownies for people who hate brownies!  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Deep, dark, and decadent. Not a single raisin in there. Made with a high-class chocolate (Belcolade Costa Rican) and espresso powder (Medaglia D'Oro). Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Brownies for people who hate brownies!  

@Anna N, I think I need that recipe. Could you share it, please? <checks fridge supply of cold milk>

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

@Anna N, I think I need that recipe. Could you share it, please? <checks fridge supply of cold milk>

Sharing is what it's all about. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I left a couple of these cookies for my cleaning angel and she informed me that she considered tearing my house apart to see if she could find more!   And the meeting people also devoured them in very short order.   This is always gratifying to me although I take little credit. Between the recipe and the quality of the chocolate I think it was hard to lose.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.98c2f340fc9b482fd349774f61c0c802.jpeg

Hermits.  There are many downsides to not being able to do one's own grocery shopping much of the time. The dates that I thought I had in my pantry turned out to be date paste. As you can imagine this proved somewhat challenging.   I took some of the flour from the recipe and put it into a separate bowl and then stood in my kitchen for what seemed like hours pinching off small bits of date paste and tossing them in the flour to keep them separate. Of course to be on the safe side I had ordered two packs of "dates".   There must be a use for date paste.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hermits.  There are many downsides to not being able to do one's own grocery shopping much of the time. The dates that I thought I had in my pantry turned out to be date paste. As you can imagine this proved somewhat challenging.   I took some of the flour from the recipe and put it into a separate bowl and then stood in my kitchen for what seemed like hours pinching off small bits of date paste and tossing them in the flour to keep them separate. Of course to be on the safe side I had ordered two packs of "dates".   There must be a use for date paste.

Convey tub of paste and bowl of flour to the living room so you can sit and watch TV while you pinch?

Mix it with peanut butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, finely chopped nuts, and a bit of honey, roll in balls, roll the balls in more flaked coconut, and keep them in the fridge. Wonderful little energy bite snacks.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Convey tub of paste and bowl of flour to the living room so you can sit and watch TV while you pinch?

Mix it with peanut butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, finely chopped nuts, and a bit of honey, roll in balls, roll the balls in more flaked coconut, and keep them in the fridge. Wonderful little energy bite snacks.

Thanks. Sounds way too sweet for me but might make up a bunch for the family. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

There are date paste-filled cookies.  Ma'amoul, as described in this topic, can be a labor-intensive cookie in which you make your own paste, but it can also be made with date paste. Linda Dalal Sawaya's cookbook, Alice's Kitchenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=096604922, has a similar recipe for Date Cookies; she simplifies it by spreading the paste along one edge of a square of cookie dough, rolling it into a log, then slicing it crosswise into circles for baking. I imagine a pinwheel treatment would also work; Southern Living's a Date Pinwheel Cookie recipe uses whole chopped dates and walnuts...but you might be able to soften the paste, spread it over the dough, scatter the walnuts into the mix and roll the pinwheel log per the instructions.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

There are date paste-filled cookies.  Ma'amoul, as described in this topic, can be a labor-intensive cookie in which you make your own paste, but it can also be made with date paste. Linda Dalal Sawaya's cookbook, Alice's Kitchenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=096604922, has a similar recipe for Date Cookies; she simplifies it by spreading the paste along one edge of a square of cookie dough, rolling it into a log, then slicing it crosswise into circles for baking. I imagine a pinwheel treatment would also work; Southern Living's a Date Pinwheel Cookie recipe uses whole chopped dates and walnuts...but you might be able to soften the paste, spread it over the dough, scatter the walnuts into the mix and roll the pinwheel log per the instructions.

I absolutely know I am going to come across as an obstructionist or a yabbut.   I just cannot imagine how you spread the stuff on anything!  It would be like mixing concrete doused with molasses and held together by GorillaTM glue.  But perhaps after a good night's sleep and/or a double scotch I will begin to see the light.   Thank you for sharing the recipes.  Perhaps overnight I will be invaded by hordes of sugar-loving critters who will haul both packages out of here.:o

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I absolutely know I am going to come across as an obstructionist or a yabbut.   I just cannot imagine how you spread the stuff on anything!  It would be like mixing concrete doused with molasses and held together by GorillaTM glue.  But perhaps after a good night's sleep and/or a double scotch I will begin to see the light.   Thank you for sharing the recipes.  Perhaps overnight I will be invaded by hordes of sugar-loving critters who will haul both packages out of here.:o

xD I have never worked with date paste, so I wondered how bricklike the stuff might be.  It sounds too malleable to chop, too stiff to mold like Play-DohTM and roll into a tube.  What a shame! Scotch sounds like a good idea. Ants or squirrels may be even better...outside, of course.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

There are also a number of recipes in Joanne Chang's Baking with Less Sugar where the sweetener is dates that get simmered with a touch of baking soda until they turn to mush. Sounds like you may be able to use those recipes and skip that step.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I like the idea of heating it to make it more malleable. Perhaps adding a little corn syrup to improve its liquidity/spreadability? The pinwheel method with chopped walnuts sounds brilliant.

All this talk of dates reminds me of Dateland, Arizona. It used to be a tourist attraction off the interstate on the way to Phoenix (there's a shop there today selling date-related goods). Once in a blue moon, my family would stop there and get date shakes to stave off the heat of the day when traveling during the summer in a car without air conditioning. :o

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver