• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

Anna, nor do , if the cardamom is pre ground, people tend to add too much so you get hint of turpentine  and that you never get from fresh ground.   But yeah we swedes have a lot of cardamom in baked goods but this wasnt a Swedish recipe.

Lingon bars?  You can make them with  cranberries and it is  butter biscuit base with jam and frosting.

If the cardamom were grown in Elysium fields and ground on Greek altars by vestal virgins it would still taste like cardamom. And I don't like cardamom in baked goods. We need to acknowledge that our tastes are unique to each of us and cannot be forced on others no matter how well-intentioned.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Rebel! Kerry Beal dropped by today and said the same thing. Perhaps being Canadian by choice rather than by birth has something to do with my fanaticism as to what constitutes a butter tart filling.

Dunno.  Canadian by choice, as well, and I much refer nuts to raisins, or nothing at all to raisins.  For some reason, the raisins are just all wrong (and I love raisins).  Kind of ruin the perfection of butter tarts.

Also, too, re: cardamom.  A bit in peppernuts or gingerbread gives a wonderful, heady aroma.  And I love it in cranberry relish, with honey and orange  But then, I really like cardamom.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)
  • Like 1

So it was snickerdoodles. I don't think you can go wrong with snickerdoodles.

Definitely can't go wrong with snickerdoodles... might have to make a few myself.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Definitely can't go wrong with snickerdoodles... might have to make a few myself.

They are an amusing bunch. I was thanked for the labradoodles.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dunno.  Canadian by choice, as well, and I much refer nuts to raisins, or nothing at all to raisins.  For some reason, the raisins are just all wrong (and I love raisins).  Kind of ruin the perfection of butter tarts.

Also, too, re: cardamom.  A bit in peppernuts or gingerbread gives a wonderful, heady aroma.  And I love it in cranberry relish, with honey and orange  But then, I really like cardamom.

I suspect the butter tart question has much to do with how you first encountered them. The raisin variety were all I knew for a very long time and so the pecan variety seemed just wrong. As for cardamom, please take my share except when it comes to my curries.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well the inside sales group will have to bring in donuts from Tim Hortons for their meeting tomorrow. I was able to get some lovely raisins and was all set to make butter tart squares. I have made them a number of times before so this was not new to me. Perhaps I was distracted, more than likely I had a senior moment but whatever the cause my butter tart squares were a failure. They actually tasted fine but were so crumbly and runny that they needed to be eaten with a spoon! I was prepared to sacrifice them to the bin (bemoaning the waste and the cost of ingredients esp. those damned organic raisins) when members of my family showed up and were more than happy to take them home and eat them with a spoon. Cue Julia Child...

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

You've done so much for them, they'll be ok doughnut-ing for a day.  

I'm still dreaming of your snickerdoodles.

I've been married for 15 years and been with my husband for over 20.  All this time I had it in my head that he hated snicker doodles.  I mentioned yours to him and he said "Oh I haven't had those forever, you should make some".   :wacko:   I have no idea where I got the notion that he didn't like them.

• Like 3

You've done so much for them, they'll be ok doughnut-ing for a day.  

I'm still dreaming of your snickerdoodles.

I've been married for 15 years and been with my husband for over 20.  All this time I had it in my head that he hated snicker doodles.  I mentioned yours to him and he said "Oh I haven't had those forever, you should make some".   :wacko:   I have no idea where I got the notion that he didn't like them.

I find that just too funny. Very similar thing happened to me only a few minutes ago. I always thought my daughter hated the shortbread crust on the butter tart squares. I swear she always just scooped off the topping. But apparently I invented this whole idea!

It is amazing what we make up about other people!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

Blueberries were on sale at the supermarket and it's been a while since I made muffins.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Another repeat. Dorie Greenspan's caramel crunch bars. They went over very well the first time.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another repeat. Dorie Greenspan's caramel crunch bars. They went over very well the first time.

image.jpg

Apparently they have good memories -- but short!

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

image.jpg

Back in the saddle again. These are Lime Bees and I have either emmalish or Andi or perhaps both to thank for the inspiration. Both are currently scratching their heads saying that they have nothing like that name that in their recipe files.

You see I wanted to make Orange Creamsicle Cookies but I was completely out of oranges and decided to use limes instead. I asked Kerry Beal a question about using the vanilla. She said I should use it but that I couldn't call them Orange Creamsicle cookies if I made them with lime. I thought she was being a bit pedantic. But when I asked the question about the vanilla I had dictated it to my email and my question had been interpreted as "if I make bees do I need vanilla"? Kerry claimed she never made bees! And since she felt so strongly that I could not call them Orange Creamsicle Cookies I renamed them Lime Bees.

I don't really care what anybody calls them as they are quite delicious. Next time perhaps I will have oranges and can be better behaved about the whole thing.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Back in the saddle again. These are Lime Bees and I have either emmalish or Andi or perhaps both to thank for the inspiration. Both are currently scratching their heads saying that they have nothing like that name that in their recipe files.

You see I wanted to make Orange Creamsicle Cookies but I was completely out of oranges and decided to use limes instead. I asked Kerry Beal a question about using the vanilla. She said I should use it but that I couldn't call them Orange Creamsicle cookies if I made them with lime. I thought she was being a bit pedantic. But when I asked the question about the vanilla I had dictated it to my email and my question had been interpreted as "if I make bees do I need vanilla"? Kerry claimed she never made bees! And since she felt so strongly that I could not call them Orange Creamsicle Cookies I renamed them Lime Bees.

I don't really care what anybody calls them as they are quite delicious. Next time perhaps I will have oranges and can be better behaved about the whole thing.

I've posted this before but I made the same cookies for a 4th of July BBQ party and used lemon rind instead of the orange. They were quite the hit at the party... very "summery".

I am awed, though, that you made them with lime. I've been thinking about doing the same but all I can find in my local grocery stores are tiny little limes and could only think about how many limes I'd have to grate to get the 2 tablespoons needed for the recipe.  :shock:  :biggrin:

Given your success, I may try at least a half lime/half lemon mixture to see how that would turn out.

Thanks for posting your experience. They look delicious!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've posted this before but I made the same cookies for a 4th of July BBQ party and used lemon rind instead of the orange. They were quite the hit at the party... very "summery".

I am awed, though, that you made them with lime. I've been thinking about doing the same but all I can find in my local grocery stores are tiny little limes and could only think about how many limes I'd have to grate to get the 2 tablespoons needed for the recipe.  :shock:  :biggrin:

Given your success, I may try at least a half lime/half lemon mixture to see how that would turn out.

Thanks for posting your experience. They look delicious!

2 tablespoons? Hell I only used two limes and rather puny ones they were too! But I did zest into the white sugar and muddle, before the creaming step. I think lime is much more assertive than orange and 2 tablespoons of lime zest might be a bit overwhelming. But it still comes down to personal taste. I left out the vanilla feeling that the white chocolate chips provided enough of that family of flavours but I could well be talking through the top of my head. I am anxious to see how they go over tomorrow morning. They are not very discerning bunch so I bet they go over well after five weeks of store-bought donuts!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Well the Lime Bees went over very well so let's hope these Orange Creamsicles are just as popular. I tried them and they need to leave my house pronto before they attach themselves to my hips.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Curious qualities these goodies have.  I find that when I am making my signature (purloined to be sure) almond-sprinkled chocolate-coated toffee, I have to box it up right away and seal the boxes with stickers, or the little pieces of candy can migrate to my lips and hence to my body.  So curious... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

image.jpg

So apparently I need to work on my marbling technique and on my photography. These were supposed to be marbled brownies.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Who cares about marbling? They look delicious! (I'll be glad to take your rejects.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

So it would seem everyone is back from vacation this week and meetings will resume on Wednesday. I decided on a banana bread because it improves with a day's aging and I won't have time to bake anything tomorrow. I also thought while I had all the stuff out I might as well make two and give one to a young friend of mine. But no good deed goes unpunished. Both of them stuck to the bottom of the pan! Even as I sprayed the pans I thought to myself: self it would take but seconds to line the bottom of these pans with a bit of parchment paper. These thoughts fell on deaf ears! I have now inscribed in indelible ink on the inside bottom of each pan: LINE ME.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I await the day you ignore the instructions and post an image of them baked onto the bottom of a loaf. :-D

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You are probably right! But I was so intimidated I even lined my bread pans which I've never done before!

image.jpg

An attempt to kill two birds with one stone. Gluten free snickerdoodles from the Land O Lakes website. Will fulfill a promise to one person and I doubt that the sugar babies will notice the missing glutes so long as they are sweet enough.

They are really not bad. I gave the rice flour a trip in the Thermomix to try and reduce the grittiness. I will not announce their gluten-freeness and see what sort of feedback I get.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Feedback suggest that nobody missed the glutes! Apparently no one noticed that they were gluten-free.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg

Chewy oatmeal raisin cookies from Smitten Kitten.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog