• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

image.jpg

image.jpg

Carrot, raisin, and pineapple muffins.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Seems this bunch is not fond of muffins or quick breads. They like cookies and bars, the sweeter the better. So this week they are getting chocolate chip cookies.

image.jpg

The second batch spent a little too long in the oven but they are still delicious.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Seems this bunch is not fond of muffins or quick breads. They like cookies and bars, the sweeter the better. So this week they are getting chocolate chip cookies.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The second batch spent a little too long in the oven but they are still delicious.

Who says beggars can't be choosers?

• Like 4

image.jpg

Baby elephant ears. Should satisfy their sugar cravings.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Brownies Your Way? Alice Medrich's brownies made with cocoa (darker) and chocolate. I think a blind taste testing would be fun but probably frowned upon in a business meeting.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

Coconut macaroons.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

After years of searching I have finally found the gingersnap recipe that meets my ideal of what gingersnaps should be! These are crinkly, crisp-chewy and the only tweak I will make next time will be to increase the ginger a little. It will be difficult to send these off!

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After years of searching I have finally found the gingersnap recipe that meets my ideal of what gingersnaps should be! These are crinkly, crisp-chewy and the only tweak I will make next time will be to increase the ginger a little. It will be difficult to send these off!

You can't just drop that there without sharing the recipe. 

Upthread you talked about Katherine Hepburn's brownies and I made them for a cute young German/Serbian couple who were visiting Canada -- they loved them and went off with a doggy bag full.  Gosh, they were good.  And simple, too! 

• Like 1

You can't just drop that there without sharing the recipe. 

Upthread you talked about Katherine Hepburn's brownies and I made them for a cute young German/Serbian couple who were visiting Canada -- they loved them and went off with a doggy bag full.  Gosh, they were good.  And simple, too!

That is such a great story and truly what eG is all about.

Here is the recipe for the gingersnaps. If you are going to refrigerate overnight be warned that you need to let the dough warm up before you can scoop it! Lesson learned. Enjoy.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

You really are an amazing M-i-L.  I hope his company is at least paying for the ingredients.

Thank you. But neither sainthood nor martyrdom becomes me. I do this as much to overcome my fear of baking as for anything else. Payment comes in many forms not necessarily related to ingredients.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is the recipe for the gingersnaps. If you are going to refrigerate overnight be warned that you need to let the dough warm up before you can scoop it! Lesson learned. Enjoy.

I made a very similar recipe a few months ago.  Since I like ginger, I added some Microplaned fresh ginger.  Very nice!

• Like 1

... Shel

That is such a great story and truly what eG is all about.

The recipe looks like a....snap.  I may wait and get some candied ginger to chop up and add -- the TJ triple-ginger cookies have that and I love biting into a little sweet hot nugget.

Just finished my last bag of TJ's crystallized ginger. One of my favorite snacks. Really should save some for baking. I would have no objection to a hit of ginger heat in my gingersnaps! Not sure how well it might go over the meeting people though.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

These almost escaped their photo op! Lime meltaways because they went over so well the first time.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Try the owl cookie recipe, I posted in  Daily sweet.   If you just make them round  and now owl they are lovely cookies and easy to make.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Thank you. But neither sainthood nor martyrdom becomes me. I do this as much to overcome my fear of baking as for anything else. Payment comes in many forms not necessarily related to ingredients.

I canNOT believe you have a fear of baking after following this thread!

And I feel the same way about there being different forms of payment. For the past few years, I've been baking cookies for my office every single week. People occasionally chip in a bit of money for the ingredients, but for the most part, this is something I'm just really enjoying doing because it gives me a chance to try new recipes that I probably wouldn't ever get around to if I were just baking for myself. To me, that's worth the cost of ingredients. 

Not to mention getting to see people enjoying what I bake. That's the real reward of baking.

• Like 2

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

emmalish

There is a world of baking I have yet to attempt! Franci, jmacnaughton, rajoress and so many many more posters are baking. Me, I'm just making cookies!

I don't get to see anyone partake but I do get some feedback that is very satisfying.

This morning I woke up knowing exactly what I would make. I would make some buttertart squares. The only problem turned out to be there is not a raisin in the house! Sorry but I will have no truck with substitutions.

So it was snickerdoodles. I don't think you can go wrong with snickerdoodles.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning I woke up knowing exactly what I would make. I would make some buttertart squares. The only problem turned out to be there is not a raisin in the house! Sorry but I will have no truck with substitutions.

I'm a bit of a butter tart deviant... not only am I okay with pecans or walnuts instead of raisins, I prefer it. And I've paid the price of being told pretty much exactly what you said on the subject on many an occasion when I offered the substitution to others. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm a bit of a butter tart deviant... not only am I okay with pecans or walnuts instead of raisins, I prefer it. And I've paid the price of being told pretty much exactly what you said on the subject on many an occasion when I offered the substitution to others. :biggrin:

Rebel! Kerry Beal dropped by today and said the same thing. Perhaps being Canadian by choice rather than by birth has something to do with my fanaticism as to what constitutes a butter tart filling.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

emmalish

There is a world of baking I have yet to attempt! Franci, jmacnaughton, rajoress and so many many more posters are baking. Me, I'm just making cookies!

I don't get to see anyone partake but I do get some feedback that is very satisfying.

Okay, cookies totally count as baking! While I agree that what so many amazingly talented people are posting here is on another level altogether, you totally shouldn't discount what you're doing. Trust me – I know people who can't even manage brownies.  :wink:

(does my post say "schedule" @ the end? Every time I hit submit or edit, it seems to tack the word "schedule" at the end...)

Schedule

Edited by emmalish (log)
  • Like 1

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Anna have you tried  Cardamom shortbread?  It is amazing if made with fresh milled cardamom and you dont need to make them into owls as I did.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Anna have you tried  Cardamom shortbread?  It is amazing if made with fresh milled cardamom and you dont need to make them into owls as I did.

Cardamom in baked goods may be quintessentially Swedish but it is not a flavour I enjoy outside of Indian curries.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, nor do , if the cardamom is pre ground, people tend to add too much so you get hint of turpentine  and that you never get from fresh ground.   But yeah we swedes have a lot of cardamom in baked goods but this wasnt a Swedish recipe.

Lingon bars?  You can make them with  cranberries and it is  butter biscuit base with jam and frosting.