• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

may i ask where in FineCooking those came from?  

Im surprised any made it out of the house.

none would have left my house, for sure.

especially when still warm and the CC's soft and mostly melted.

Here you go

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.aspx

I am not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. However, I will confess to eating more than my share of President's Choice Decadent cookies when I worked in a process control company and the cookies came as a bonus with software! As a supervisor I got first dibs and I had no conscience.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

image.jpg

I was gifted with some walnuts and some very high quality chocolate so tomorrow's treat will be these walnut and chocolate chip blondies. (Kerry Beal really must avert her eyes!)

It is a Martha Stewart recipe and calls for half of the nuts and chocolate chips to be added to the batter and the rest sprinkled on top. They may prove to be a bit messy for a business meeting but I bet they all disappear.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

I had packaged most of these up when I remembered I should take a photograph. These are brown butter blondies with toffee bits. I am positive they will go over well as they are tooth-achingly sweet!

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A repeat this week. Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi Anna - If you are looking for more recipes, I've had a lot of raves for these pumpkin-chocolate chip squares recently: http://www.marthastewart.com/336431/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-squares

I like them too and I'm not particularly fond of pumpkin spice anything.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Those brownies look mouth-watering, Anna. You definitely are spoiling those meeting attendees!

Thank you. The limited feedback I get suggests they are appreciated.

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi Anna - If you are looking for more recipes, I've had a lot of raves for these pumpkin-chocolate chip squares recently: http://www.marthastewart.com/336431/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-squares

I like them too and I'm not particularly fond of pumpkin spice anything.

Thanks for sharing.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Katherine Hepburn's brownies. I detect a brownie theme emerging here! Perhaps next week it will be Ina Garten's outrageous brownies.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Katherine Hepburn's brownies. I detect a brownie theme emerging here! Perhaps next week it will be Ina Garten's outrageous brownies.

I've had the Katherine Hepburn brownies and love them – I brought them to work once and they weren't nearly as popular as I expected. I think most people are too used to the cake-y brownies you find in most coffee shops. Have you tried the Ina Garten ones before? How are they?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I've had the Katherine Hepburn brownies and love them – I brought them to work once and they weren't nearly as popular as I expected. I think most people are too used to the cake-y brownies you find in most coffee shops. Have you tried the Ina Garten ones before? How are they?

Ha ha. Made them today! They are in the fridge. No good asking me to judge brownies. I made them once for company and it was embarrassing how they could not stop praising them. But you need a spare bank account even for half a recipe which is what I made today.

I have found the Katherine Hepburn brownies hit the spot with most people but I guess I hang about in a different crowd than you. I got great feedback last week on the Katherine brownies especially the edges!

My 2004 eG Blog

re: AnnaN and Meeting snacks :

Id bet no one misses those meetings

No One.  and those not involved, Might show up Just In Case there is a free chair.

I understand any that are left to put into the lunch room and quickly disappear. I choose not to get big headed about this having worked in a similar environment realizing that almost anything remotely edible disappears in seconds.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

The outrageous brownies have been my go to recipe whenever making brownies (not often).  I tend to try to stay away from sweets so having them around is dangerous...they are so good!!!  They have been a huge hit whenever I have made them to share!

I tend to cut them much smaller........they are very rich.  One recipe then makes a LOT!

Edited by eldereno (log)

Donna

image.jpg

Definitely not photogenic! These are lime meltaways from Martha Stewart. Not at all sure how the icing sugar will go with business suits! Thought I would give the attendees a change from brownies. On David Lebovitz blog he has a recipe for brownies made with black cocoa powder. Even to this non-brownie lover they look astounding. May have to see if I can source some of that stuff.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I cant say if these are 'meeting-friendly'  but if taken to a Meeting, it would get Friendly:

1 ) as AnnaN has stated in the past :  " No Snickering   :biggrin: "

I bake two trays of' Brownies and take them to my local Library from time to time.  I use disposable aluminum trays lined w 

parchment paper, and the librarians lift out the parchment and return the trays to me Toot Sweet, or the trays vanish.

After my oven went on the Fritz  Ive use the Weber, but its winter here  ( clues in the below pic ) so I stared to use the

BV-XL.  the 13 " x X " pans fit in nicely.

I have several 'secret' ingredients I use:

1) Betty, my assistant, is no secret and she helps be get over the activation energy, generalized sloth etc

2) i add a double home-roast espresso from the Alexia0PID.  cooled

3) I add several Tbs of the vanilla shown: Sauers Gold  true its imatation :

http://shop.cfsauer.com/search_product.asp    you seem to have to type in 'vanilla'

but those discerning palates at the Test Kitchen 'cant tell the difference'

:huh:   it has to be the gold one.  otherwise, real vanilla would add 5 x at least to the Final Bill.  I like to keep

something in reserve for M.R. studies.

4) a heaping cup of TJ's choc.chips / unit

and the Friendly part is an over-flow 1/2 cup of "DonRoberto Dark"  strictly lower shelf.

The librarians like them so that's what counts.  and now I can do 1 pan at a time in the BV-XL.

I toast a heaping cup of TJ's walnuts.  After they cool they go on top of one pan of brownies.

Not being a Gourmet Baker, but appreciating what's baked here I do have one question :

the BV-XL has a 'turbo' fan.  I used it this time.  how might I adjust the time and temp using this feature ?

these were done at 350 for 26 - 28 minutes.

I should also add these are the 'three egg' cake-like version.

I guessing a minute or two less w the fan feature ?

I have actually make from scratch fantastic brownies in the past.

but as Ive said, the idea is to get Product to the Library

Betty helps me out.

and here they are :

Brownies.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I cannot answer your question, rotuts, as I am still very much novice baker. I never use the convection feature on either oven.

On the lime meltaways. I got no feedback initially. I thought perhaps this was an epic fail. But a day or two later the feedback was very enthusiastic. They were being described as a "key lime pie cookie". I also found out that the "big bosses" had learned of these treats that appeared in a certain department on Wednesday mornings and were showing up in that department to make sure that they had a sampling!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Convection ovens are so much easier to bake with then older types of ovens.   You just lower the  heat a bit and it bakes quicker.  I dream of that type of oven. Buns coming out perfect with zero problem. You can also bake several sheets of cookies and buns at one go.  Sadly my  landlord doesnt give us this option.  Oh well for a novice baking it much easier to  get success with fan oven the old fashion. I know in  Celsius you just turn the heat down  10 C and it work like a charm.

Spice cake with a twist

3.5 oz  butter

2 eggs

1 1/4  cup brown sugar

2 teaspoon  ground cinnamon

1½ teaspoon ground  cardamom

1 teaspoon  ground ginger

1 ½ cup flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda

½ cup  sour cream

½ cup thick  cranberry sauce  or mashed cranberries.

Turn the oven to  350 .  Grease and dust  a loaf tin  that holds 6 cups. Melt  the butter and let it cool a bit.

Mix flour, spices and bicarbonate soda  in a bowl.   In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sugar  fluffy.   Add the flour, a little, then a bit of the butter, sour cream and  cranberry sauce while whisking. When all is in, pour it into the pan and  bake in the cooler part  ( most often the lower)  for  1 hour.   Check so it doesn't burn, if it gets too brown cover with a  baking parchment. Cool   on a rack and serve.   Taste a bit of Christmas and it really nice.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Rotus: I have a recipe for brownies that a friend makes for customers on a regular basis . It contains raspberries  and dark chocolate and so easy and addictive.

Tasmanian brownies

Ingredients
370 gram  unsalted butter
340 gram best-quality bittersweet chocolate
6 eggs
1 3/4 cups  sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate buttons, chips or morsels
 3 cups  semi frozen raspberries

Baking tin (approximately 11 1/4 inches by 9 inches by 2 inches), sides and base lined with baking parchment.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter and dark chocolate together in a large heavy based pan over a low heat.

In a bowl or large measuring jug, beat the eggs together with  sugar and vanilla extract.

Allow the chocolate mixture to cool a little, then add the egg and sugar mixture and beat well. Fold in the flour and salt. Then stir in the  chocolate buttons or chips, add the raspberries ,  Fold  to combine then scrape and pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin.

Bake for about 25 minutes.. Remember that they will continue to cook as they cool.

Cool and serve.
  • Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

On David Lebovitz blog he has a recipe for brownies made with black cocoa powder. Even to this non-brownie lover they look astounding. May have to see if I can source some of that stuff.

I source mine from King Arthur Flour.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I source mine from King Arthur Flour.

Yeah I would too except their shipping cost to Canada would put me in the poorhouse! I have an in through Kerry Beal to a number of chocolate suppliers if I decide that I really really can't live without it..... But thank you for the suggestion.

My 2004 eG Blog