• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

The inside is  cookie and cake crumbs , it has to be a blend of that and then powdered sugar, cocoa , arrack  and butter, then rolled into marzipan and then dipped into chocolate.

Most often it is flavoured with essences and sometimes  they use other liqueur flavours.   I have gotten a blueberry one   and a lingon one when the  Crown princess got married.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the designated 'snack person' for the upcoming local gourd retreat.  To that end I have begun making items, starting with Kerry Beal's  Quick Bread Recipes, taken from The Kitchen.  On the left is the Variation #1: Cranberry-Walnut; on the right is Variation #4: Blueberry Loaf.  Both taste very good.  DH says butter goes on both loaf, and for the Cranberry Loaf?  Old Cheddar, of course.

Thanks, Kerry. 

P1010001_07.JPG

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Still baking?

I just remember Vetekaka  ( Wheat cake), easy to do and comes in a  three flavours   plain, cinnamon and  fruit.

Pre heat the oven to 200 C.

In a bowl  mix

100 ml sugar

400 ml flour

2 teaspoon  bakingpowder

1 teaspon freshly ground  cardamom

100 gram butter

It should look like sand in texture, then it is done correctly, just use your hands for this

Then add

200 ml milk 

Stir with a spoon until mixed.

Grease butter and dust  with flour  8- 9 inch pie tin. Pour in  the batter  and  add one  of this toppings.

Plain:

4 tablespoon of  coarse sugar, scattered over the cake

Cinnamon

1 tablespoon of  cinnamon

2 tablespoon of sugar.  mix and dusted over the cake.

Fruit

About 1 cup of berries or chopped fruit  over the top

Bake for  30 min. Check  it done by sticking a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean it is done.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kerry Beal's Quick Bread Recipes, Cranberry-Walnut version, was received with such enthusiasm at the Gourd Retreat that I was stupefied.  Well, I guess I'm gonna make that one again. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpg

image.jpg

After a 5-week hiatus I'm back in the saddle. Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Brownies. Don't know if you can see their fudginess.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN : Id sure like to 

1) attend a few of those meetings.

2) you would have to make 2 x as It like to make sure they are " Soooooooo Tasty "   :cool:

then I might fall asleep for the rest of the meeting ....

Of course, unless there was Dessert After ?

:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

So Labour Day has come and gone here in southern Ontario. People are back at work and at school.

So for the first meeting of the year molasses spice cookies:

image.jpg

Usually I am happy to see my baking move to another venue but these........

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you not like them, Anna?  They look perfectly delicious to me.

I love them. That's the problem.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, are they crispy cookies?

I would call them crispy-chewy. They are not shatteringly crisp but definitely have some snap to them.

My 2004 eG Blog

Care to share the recipe?

It's a Dorie Greenspan recipe from her iPhone app Baking with Dorie so I can't provide a link. Sorry.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Dorie Greenspan's Caramel Crunch Bars

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmmm, I've made those before. I'm thinking it might be time to make them again. And I'll have to try those molasses spice cookies from her App too. I love those fall flavours!

The "meeters" are still raving over those caramel bars.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Browned Butter Toffee Blondies. Inclusions were Skor toffee bits, Butterscotch chips and chopped walnuts. That browned butter taste really comes through and as a bonus my house now smells of browned butter!

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Hmm. I may have to give blondies another try. Those look irresistable.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmm. I may have to give blondies another try. Those look irresistable.

I think they would be outstanding without any inclusions (a la Kerry Beal). That browned butter doesn't need any help flavour-wise.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Leslie,

Not sure I could ever willingly relinquish crystallized ginger to anything but my mouth!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Caramel Apple bars.

These were very well received according to reports. Sorry that the photos are not a little clearer.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Chocolate chip cookies from Fine Cooking. I read my way all through the eG chocolate chip cookie bake off but in the end returned to this tried and trusted recipe. This is the first batch straight from the oven. Some will go to the meeting people, some will go with my granddaughter for her lunch box and some will go home with my adult son.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog