• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Anna N

In France there's quite a trend for savoury cakes; salmon, olives, ham, lardons, herbs, dried tomatoes, cheese, onion... it's a firm, loaf-style cake that can be sliced. If the idea appeals let me know what sort of flavouring ingredients you prefer and I will happily translate a recipe or two (or if you speak French, just Google recette cake salé, or do so then use Google Translate).

Pinwheels could also go down well.

• Like 1

Intriguing. Can you point me to a recipe?

Of course.

Bumbles

I no longer recall why I call these bumbles but the name stuck.  They make a great party snack and are good with soup.  As mentioned, they're simply American-style biscuits done bite-sized.

4 c   all purpose flour

4 tsp   baking powder

1 tsp   salt

2/3 c   lard and/or vegetable shortening

1-1/2 c   buttermilk (or sour milk)

2 tbsp   whole milk (or buttermilk)

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture has texture of cornmeal.  Add buttermilk all at once; stir quickly just until dough follows fork around bowl.  Knead dough gently, 10 to 12 strokes. 

Roll out 1/2 inch thick; cut into 3/4 inch squares and roll into balls; place on parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheet.  Brush with whole milk.  Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.  May be frozen; thaw, then reheat 5 to 10 minutes in a 325 degree oven.

Variations:  With the buttermilk, add 2 c grated cheddar (8 oz) (reduce shortening to 1/2 c) and/or 8 slices bacon (8 oz) (chopped, sauteed and drained) or 8 oz breakfast sausage (crumbled, sauteed and drained).  Or, add 2 tbsp caraway seeds or 4 tbsp chopped fresh sage, thyme or other herb.

• Like 2

...or if you speak French, just Google recette cake sale...

Here's one recipe in English. I've seen them named as  cake salé and cake aux olives. Real good, though maybe a little heavy-duty for morning pastry.

http://lapetitepoele.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/ham-and-olive-cake-recipe/

Anna, since you like to bake bread, have you considered sweet breads and rolls? You can make ahead, freeze, then defrost before service. If your son-in-law has access to an office microwave, he could warm the breads or rolls before service. I'm thinking of something like this, cinnamon knots that are popular at a local bakery:

http://www.supereggplant.com/?p=415

Of course.

Bumbles

I no longer recall why I call these bumbles but the name stuck.  They make a great party snack and are good with soup.  As mentioned, they're simply American-style biscuits done bite-sized.

4 c   all purpose flour

4 tsp   baking powder

1 tsp   salt

2/3 c   lard and/or vegetable shortening

1-1/2 c   buttermilk (or sour milk)

2 tbsp   whole milk (or buttermilk)

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture has texture of cornmeal.  Add buttermilk all at once; stir quickly just until dough follows fork around bowl.  Knead dough gently, 10 to 12 strokes. 

Roll out 1/2 inch thick; cut into 3/4 inch squares and roll into balls; place on parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheet.  Brush with whole milk.  Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.  May be frozen; thaw, then reheat 5 to 10 minutes in a 325 degree oven.

Variations:  With the buttermilk, add 2 c grated cheddar (8 oz) (reduce shortening to 1/2 c) and/or 8 slices bacon (8 oz) (chopped, sauteed and drained) or 8 oz breakfast sausage (crumbled, sauteed and drained).  Or, add 2 tbsp caraway seeds or 4 tbsp chopped fresh sage, thyme or other herb.

I bet these are big hits. I know with a bowl of soup I'd be on the greedy side! Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's one recipe in English. I've seen them named as  cake salé and cake aux olives. Real good, though maybe a little heavy-duty for morning pastry.http://lapetitepoele.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/ham-and-olive-cake-recipe/

Anna, since you like to bake bread, have you considered sweet breads and rolls? You can make ahead, freeze, then defrost before service. If your son-in-law has access to an office microwave, he could warm the breads or rolls before service. I'm thinking of something like this, cinnamon knots that are popular at a local bakery:http://www.supereggplant.com/?p=415

Here's one recipe in English. I've seen them named as  cake salé and cake aux olives. Real good, though maybe a little heavy-duty for morning pastry.http://lapetitepoele.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/ham-and-olive-cake-recipe/

Anna, since you like to bake bread, have you considered sweet breads and rolls? You can make ahead, freeze, then defrost before service. If your son-in-law has access to an office microwave, he could warm the breads or rolls before service. I'm thinking of something like this, cinnamon knots that are popular at a local bakery:http://www.supereggplant.com/?p=415

Both of these are very appealing and if not suitable for my current purpose will find a place in my recipe file. Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I would like Kerry's quick bread recipe also, please.

Basic Variations:

• Sugar can be reduced to a tablespoon for more savory breads.

• Up to half the flour can be substituted with an alternative flour.

• Replace the buttermilk with a mix of yogurt and milk or milk and a squeeze of lemon.

• Use up to 1 1/2 cups fruits, nuts, olives, cheese, or other ingredients, added to the dry ingredients.

• Use 1-3 teaspoons of herbs or spices, added to the dry ingredients.

10 Variations:

1. Cranberry-Walnut Loaf (pictured above) - 1 c. dried cranberries, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts, 1 tsp vanilla, zest from one orange

2. Apple-Cinnamon Loaf - 1 c. diced apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped nuts

3. Cherry-Almond Loaf - 1 c. dried cherries, 1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds, 1 tsp almond extract

4. Blueberry Loaf - 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 tsp vanilla, zest from one lemon

5. Ginger-Orange Loaf - zest from two oranges, 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch of cloves, pinch of nutmeg

6. Herbed Sun-dried Tomato and Cheese Loaf (pictured below) - reduce sugar to 1 T, 1/2 c. grated cheese, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, 2 T minced sun-dried tomatoes

7. Onion-Dill Loaf - reduce sugar to 2 T, one minced onion cooked until soft, 1 T minced fresh dill

8. Pesto Loaf - reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon, 1/4 c. pesto, 1/2 c. shredded parmesan cheese

9. Spicy Jalapeno Loaf - reduce sugar to 2 tablespoons, 1/4 cup minced jalapeno peppers, 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 2 tsp chili powder

10. Irish Soda Bread Look-Alike Loaf - reduce sugar to 1/4 cup, 1 T caraway seeds, 3/4 cup raisins

• 2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup (4 oz) white sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (8 oz) buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • ¼ cup (2 oz) unsalted butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil
1.Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a standard 9x5 loaf pan.
2.Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Melt the butter, if using. Whisk it in a separate bowl with the buttermilk and the egg.
3.Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Gently stir and fold the ingredients until all the flour has been incorporated and a shaggy, wet batter is formed. Be careful not to over-mix.
4.Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and pat it into the corners. Bake for 45-50 minutes. When finished, the loaf should be domed and golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and slicing.
5.Wrap baked loaves tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Baked loaves can also be wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil and frozen for up to three months.

Servings/Yield

Yield: 1 loaf
  • Like 3

Sorry. Morning meetings.

So, for morning I like fruited, not-too-sweet things. So, definitely no fudge, cookies, or bars. Biscotti a good idea. Here are two apple cakes--one and two--that I often bring to work in the morning. I have another but I will have to type it in tomorrow. Any fruited muffin. Crumbcake, brioche. Blueberry or peach (or both) cornbread. And if the guests are worthy, pie.

So, for morning I like fruited, not-too-sweet things. So, definitely no fudge, cookies, or bars. Biscotti a good idea. Here are two apple cakes--one and two--that I often bring to work in the morning. I have another but I will have to type it in tomorrow. Any fruited muffin. Crumbcake, brioche. Blueberry or peach (or both) cornbread. And if the guests are worthy, pie.

Anyone who likes Joe Pye weed is a friend of mine.

• Like 1

Okay, here is a versatile finger-food dish I use for catering for small meetings. You can make savory or sweet using the same base.

Get a loaf of fresh sliced white bread and cut the crusts off of each slice - chop up the crusts and feed the birds. With a rolling pin, roll out each slice as thinly as possible then take a metal pastry (cookie) cutter and cut out as many rounds as you can that will fit into the bottom of a mini muffin pan so that the round goes a bit up the side, about a quarter of an inch or so. Brush with EVOO and bake in a hot oven for a few minutes to get the bread to crisp. Take out and let cool on a rack. You now have little cups that you can use your imagination to fill.

You can pipe a dollop of pastry cream into them and add a sliver of fruit or pipe a dollop of ganache. They can also be filled with smooth cottage cheese and topped with a slither of smoked salmon or filled with a small dollop of chicken mayo. Anything you can think of. The base keeps crisp and does not go to mush if baked long enough.

Sorry, not too much baking involved, but they are quick and easy to make.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Okay, here is a versatile finger-food dish I use for catering for small meetings. You can make savory or sweet using the same base.

Get a loaf of fresh sliced white bread and cut the crusts off of each slice - chop up the crusts and feed the birds. With a rolling pin, roll out each slice as thinly as possible then take a metal pastry (cookie) cutter and cut out as many rounds as you can that will fit into the bottom of a mini muffin pan so that the round goes a bit up the side, about a quarter of an inch or so. Brush with EVOO and bake in a hot oven for a few minutes to get the bread to crisp. Take out and let cool on a rack. You now have little cups that you can use your imagination to fill.

You can pipe a dollop of pastry cream into them and add a sliver of fruit or pipe a dollop of ganache. They can also be filled with smooth cottage cheese and topped with a slither of smoked salmon or filled with a small dollop of chicken mayo. Anything you can think of. The base keeps crisp and does not go to mush if baked long enough.

Sorry, not too much baking involved, but they are quick and easy to make.

Thank you for sharing. Knowing some of the meeting participants as I do, these might be a little too sophisticated for my purpose. I will keep them in mind for other gatherings though.

My 2004 eG Blog

Last week I made cheddar cheese muffins which went over well. I posted about them elsewhere. This week I took Shelby s suggestion and made the oatmeal cookies from Smitten Kitten. Thanks, Shelby.

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Last week I made cheddar cheese muffins which went over well. I posted about them elsewhere. This week I took Shelby s suggestion and made the oatmeal cookies from Smitten Kitten. Thanks, Shelby.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Anna, these look SO perfect.  Gonna have to drag down the oatmeal from the cabinet this afternoon.  I have a craving now!

• Like 1

image.jpg

Ginger biscuits from The international Cookie Cookbook

image.jpg

Snickerdoodles.

Will be shared between sales meeting and granddaughter's band practice. (She begged me not to make cookies with oatmeal. Apparently only babies have oatmeal in the opinion of these junior high schoolers. Who knew?)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Will be shared between sales meeting and granddaughter's band practice. (She begged me not to make cookies with oatmeal. Apparently only babies have oatmeal in the opinion of these junior high schoolers. Who knew?)

Oh dear, the young lady needs some education on nutrition and the benefits of oatmeal!

By the way, those are scrumptious looking cookies. Also, here in South Africa we call them biscuits - we do not have baked goods called cookies - a cookie would be a sexy young lady. But then we do have some weird names for certain everyday "things" such as a traffic light is called a robot. A "robot pack" in a supermarket is a pre-packed bag of three sweet peppers - one each red, yellow and green. John.

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Whaaaaaaat?

You know how it is with teens. They get a notion in their heads... My granddaughter loved the oatmeal raisin cookies I made for her Dad. She just doesn't want her friends to know and she definitely doesn't want them showing up in her lunch bag! This month it's oatmeal. Next month who knows.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh dear, the young lady needs some education on nutrition and the benefits of oatmeal!

By the way, those are scrumptious looking cookies. Also, here in South Africa we call them biscuits - we do not have baked goods called cookies - a cookie would be a sexy young lady. But then we do have some weird names for certain everyday "things" such as a traffic light is called a robot. A "robot pack" in a supermarket is a pre-packed bag of three sweet peppers - one each red, yellow and green. John.

They are teens, JohnT, they get weird notions. Yes, I grew up in the UK so I know about biscuits but the SA use of robot to describe traffic lights and peppers is certainly imaginative. I see three packs of sweet peppers here but they rarely contain green peppers. Usually red, yellow and orange.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, this link should show you a "robot pack" of peppers

https://shop.pnp.co.za/b2c_pnp/b2c/display/(cpgsize=9&layout=5.1-6_2_4_85_86_8_3&uiarea=1&carea=4F3D665E48198570E10080000A050131&cpgnum=1)/.do?rf=y ( hope it works).

Back to my kitchen. Today I did a test batch of passionfruit shortbread slices - I am also trying to expand my selection of fingerfood for meetings and other catering events. The recipe was from the Australian Taste web site (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26803/passionfruit+slice?ref=collections,finger-food). I should have read all the comments before venturing with this recipe as they were awful and nothing like the photograph on the web site. Afterwards I did read the comments and found a lot of people had the same results as I did. The idea is appealing but I think I will try a proper shortbread as a base and then use the same topping. Sorry, no photographs from my end as the slab is in the garbage for the morning collection. John.

• Like 1

Nanaimo bars, if you make them with pumpkin seeds or craisins or even real raisins (ugh…) in place of the nuts, would likely go over well.  I've been doing extensive tinkering with the flavour layer, and have found that things like Piña Colada, Maracuyá (passionfruit), and Blackberry are excellent and cut the sweetness characteristic of it.  Mint and Cinnamon are also quite tasty and not as sweet as one would think.  If the topping chocolate is tempered, you don't even have to fridge 'em.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Anna, this link should show you a "robot pack" of peppers

https://shop.pnp.co.za/b2c_pnp/b2c/display/(cpgsize=9&layout=5.1-6_2_4_85_86_8_3&uiarea=1&carea=4F3D665E48198570E10080000A050131&cpgnum=1)/.do?rf=y ( hope it works).

Back to my kitchen. Today I did a test batch of passionfruit shortbread slices - I am also trying to expand my selection of fingerfood for meetings and other catering events. The recipe was from the Australian Taste web site (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26803/passionfruit+slice?ref=collections,finger-food). I should have read all the comments before venturing with this recipe as they were awful and nothing like the photograph on the web site. Afterwards I did read the comments and found a lot of people had the same results as I did. The idea is appealing but I think I will try a proper shortbread as a base and then use the same topping. Sorry, no photographs from my end as the slab is in the garbage for the morning collection. John.

Thanks for the link.

The passionfruit bars do look quite delightful and many comments were positive. It is always disappointing when things don't turn out. These might be worth further experimentation.

Edited to fix spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Nanaimo bars, if you make them with pumpkin seeds or craisins or even real raisins (ugh…) in place of the nuts, would likely go over well.  I've been doing extensive tinkering with the flavour layer, and have found that things like Piña Colada, Maracuyá (passionfruit), and Blackberry are excellent and cut the sweetness characteristic of it.  Mint and Cinnamon are also quite tasty and not as sweet as one would think.  If the topping chocolate is tempered, you don't even have to fridge 'em.

Never could cotton to Nanaimo bars but I do know they have a huge following. So many things to try...so few meetings!

My 2004 eG Blog