• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

My grandma raised me through the end of the war and the postwar years. Her favourite  chocolate  bar was Cadbury’s Brazil nut bar. For Mothering Sunday and for her birthday I would save up my allowance and buy one of these for her. I am pretty sure I got to eat most of each one!  Brazil nuts have been in short supply for years but recently I received a gift of some which I stuck into my freezer. Last night I was thinking about Brazil nuts and my grandmother and cookie making.  I didn’t think that there would be a recipe for a cookie that included both milk chocolate and Brazil nuts. It occurred to me there might be such a thing as a universal cookie recipe where you could choose your own inclusions. The ones I found didn’t appeal much so I simply took a chocolate chip cookie recipe and modified it to my own taste. These are not bad at all.  Of course they have decent chocolate in them, not chocolate chips, and I think that makes a huge difference.

47044640-8496-4DA0-81C7-445EF62AB23B.thumb.jpeg.3edf22faba1d6f3b834e74cec8796c08.jpeg

They look anaemic in the photograph but not in reality. I tried a fair bit of manoeuvring around the light to improve the colour but with little luck. 

Anna N

Anna N

My grandma raised me through the end of the war and the postwar years. Her favourite  chocolate  bar was Cadbury’s Brazil nut bar. For Mothering Sunday and for her birthday I would save up my allowance and buy one of these for her. I am pretty sure I got to eat most of each one!  Brazil nuts have been in short supply for years but recently I received a gift of some which I stuck into my freezer. Last night I was thinking about Brazil nuts and my grandmother and cookie making.  I didn’t think that there would be a recipe for a cookie that included both milk chocolate and Brazil nuts. It occurred to me there might be such a thing as a universal cookie recipe where you could choose your own inclusions. The ones I found didn’t appeal much so I simply took a chocolate chip cookie recipe and modified it to my own taste. These are not bad at all.  Of course they have decent chocolate in them not chocolate chips and I think that makes a huge difference.

47044640-8496-4DA0-81C7-445EF62AB23B.thumb.jpeg.3edf22faba1d6f3b834e74cec8796c08.jpeg

They look anaemic in the photograph but not in reality. I tried a fair bit of manoeuvring around the light to improve the colour but with little luck.