• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

I am now convinced without a shadow of a doubt that my oven is punishing me for some sin I’ve committed but am unaware of.  Somewhere along the line I have offended the kitchen gods that’s for sure. 

The grand child has to make a presentation in class on Friday and has been asked to bring snacks.  I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. I would make her snacks for the presentation and snacks for her dad’s meeting.  I offered her some choices and she settled on chocolate chip cookies. 

I don’t even want to count the number of times I’ve made these cookies using this recipe. 

Today I checked to make sure my oven had reached the recommended 375°F temperature.  The thermometer read 400°F. I turned it down to 365°F and without checking, a few minutes later I loaded two half sheet pans of cookies. After 10 minutes they looked as pale and wan  as Sleeping Beauty.  The oven thermometer read 300°F. (There’s a reason I keep neither a gun nor a slingshot in the house). 

I cranked the heat back up to 375°F and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally the thermometer read somewhere between 350 and 400. 

I baked the rest of the cookies. So now I have a mix of thin, pale, sad looking cookies and a very few that turned out the way I had expected. Grrrrrrr. 

Oh well both parties are easy to satisfy. These contain high-end chocolate pistoles and I have no doubt they will disappear in a flash. 

Making a batch of cookie should not be this complicated. 

2CC67E77-E0A7-4B63-B9FF-4E8C4949C83C.jpeg

Anna N

Anna N

I am now convinced without a shadow of a doubt that my oven is punishing me for some sin I’ve committed but am unaware of.  Somewhere along the line I have offended the kitchen gods that’s for sure. 

The grand child has to make a presentation in class on Friday and has been asked to bring snacks.  I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. I would make her snacks for the presentation and snacks for her dad’s meeting.  I offered her some choices and she settled on chocolate chip cookies. 

I don’t even want to count the number of times I’ve made these cookies using this recipe. 

Today I checked to make sure my oven had reached the recommended 375°F temperature.  The thermometer read 400°F. I turned it down to 365°F and without checking, a few minutes later I loaded two half sheet pans of cookies. After 10 minutes they looked as pale and wan  as Sleeping Beauty.  The oven so moment to read 300°F. (There’s a reason I keep neither a gun nor a slingshot in the house). 

I cranked the heat back up to 375°F and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally the thermometer read somewhere between 350 and 400. 

I baked the rest of the cookies. So now I have a mix of thin, pale, sad looking cookies and a very few that turned out the way I had expected. Grrrrrrr. 

Oh well both parties are easy to satisfy. These contain high-end chocolate pistoles and I have no doubt they will disappear in a flash. 

Making a batch of cookie should not be this complicated. 

2CC67E77-E0A7-4B63-B9FF-4E8C4949C83C.jpeg