• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

So apparently I am a very slow learner.  I no longer believe there is a problem with the recipe or with my ability to follow one. It's my memory that's failing!   Didn't I explain earlier about my oven which was not behaving very well?   Certainly it does not work on convection mode. But I was preheating it on on non-convection mode and when the beeper went off to say it had reached the temperature of 350°F I went to put my trays in there.   But one extra neuron kicked in and I told myself to throw a thermometer into that oven and make sure that it was accurate.  It read 200°F despite the signal that it had preheated to 350. Therein lies my problem with spreading cookies I do believe.  So long as I remember never to trust that beep but to check the temperature with a separate thermometer I think I should be good. 

IMG_1998.thumb.JPG.97739412670ffb82884b2d9a38ecad9f.JPG

These are not the ones that went so badly wrong the other day but I doubt that it makes any difference as the recipes for oatmeal cookies are very close no matter which one you consult. 

Thanks for everyone who tried to help. 

Anna N

Anna N

So apparently I am a very slow learner.  I no longer believe there is a problem with the recipe or with my ability to follow one. It's my memory that's failing!   Didn't I explained earlier about my oven which was not behaving very well?   Certainly it does not work on convection mode. But I was preheating it on on non-convection mode and when the beeper went off to say it had reached the temperature of 350°F I went to put my trays in there.   But one extra neuron kicked in and I told myself to throw a thermometer into that oven and make sure that it was accurate.  It read 200°F despite the signal that it had preheated to 350. Therein lies my problem with spreading cookies I do believe.  So long as I remember never to trust that beep but to check the temperature with a separate thermometer I think I should be good. 

IMG_1998.thumb.JPG.97739412670ffb82884b2d9a38ecad9f.JPG

These are not the ones that went so badly wrong the other day but I doubt that it makes any difference as the recipes for oatmeal cookies are very close no matter which one you consult.